Are all gears created equal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Are all gears created equal

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
Steev89
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Are all gears created equal

So Im looking to re-gear to 4.11's this summer and im looking for affordable sets. Ive found some for relativley cheap on ebay or other online stores. And some for pretty expensive from yukon and other manufacturers.

So my question is, when it comes to gearing do you get what you pay for or are they pretty much the same no matter where you get them?

Thanks to any help I get!

Last edited by Steev89; 03-27-2012 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: forgot to say thanks lol
Steev89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

i've never bought cheap gears before but why risk it? if something does go wrong with them then your gonna end up spending more money than if you would have just bought yukon or something similar.

whats the price difference between the ebay gears and yukon's?
Unread 03-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Steev89
1999 XJ Cherokee 

There's about 100-250 difference, I know its not too much a difference really but being able to save money is always nice lol

Ya I know what you mean about not risking it, ill probably just end up getting Yukon or similar brand
Unread 03-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
chromegrille
1947 CJ2A 

quality is like buying oats....
chromegrille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
Metro55
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The biggest factor is quality set up... there really isn't much difference in any make of gear, it's all name brand, and a majority of gears are made by the same people, and different people sell them.
,(●)_),,,,,,(●)_)--o-)_) ,,, 2000 XJ - 4.5" w/ LA's & Locked on 32's
Metro55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've always used Yukon Gears with out any issues
Unread 03-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've heard some brands, like Spicer, run quieter than the cheaper ones.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
Steev89
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quite is always nice. Are the yukons fairly quite?
Unread 03-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
PR1AWRet
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I've set up cheap gears and expensive gears. Cheaper gears are a bit noisier, but other than that, not much difference and set up is about the same. If you are running mud tires, what does it matter? $.02
PR1AWRet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #10
Steev89
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1AWRet
I've set up cheap gears and expensive gears. Cheaper gears are a bit noisier, but other than that, not much difference and set up is about the same. If you are running mud tires, what does it matter? $.02
Well im not planning on running massive mud tires for a while, its still my daily driver I have 31s now and plan on going to 33s in a couple years probably.
Unread 03-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
xGArfx
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I run yukon 4.88s in my 8.25 and their dead silent as well as 4.88s in my 30, the dana 30 gears are made by USA standard though. I believe USA is a branch of Yukon that they sell items as things that don't fit their inspection 100% but are still considered very good quality and usable just not something yukon wants their name on.. all my gears are quiet.

Most importantly is setup, the shop said my rear gears setup perfectly very quickly while the front took a few hours and many tries to get a perfect pattern. Cheap gears tend to be harder to setup and get a good pattern and sometimes may be a tad bit noisier, like I said though it mostly comes down to how well the gears are setup. I would go with yukon if you can and would not even bother regearing to 4.11s man, go to 4.56s minimum even if your gona just run 31s. 4.11s arent that big of a difference from 3.55 your talking a half turn of a driveshaft here, I love my 4.88s and 33s and would run them with 31s if I had to you will love the power and MPG.
xGArfx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
Steev89
1999 XJ Cherokee 

so are there any bad effects to running higher gears like that on only 31s? Like I said earlier this is still my daily driver so I dont want to do something that is going to make it harder for the jeep on a daily basis and going interstate speeds etc. If there arent any bad effects I probably will go with the higher gears then that way I have more space for my tires to grow if I decide to go even bigger eventually!
Unread 03-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
Steev89
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So after some searching I was able to answer my last question myself I think. I couldnt really see any bad effects to having the higher gears as long as you drive it correctly. And I should adjust my driving anyway . So I will probably go with 4.56's.

One last question is can anyone help me find a write up for installing the gears im sure there has to be one around somewhere? Ive searched and searched but cant seem to find one.

I dont know of any good shops around where I live that will regear, unless anyone else in Colorado knows of a good place? Hopefully not far from Pueblo/Colorado Springs?

As always thanks for any help I get!
Unread 03-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #14
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev89 View Post
So after some searching I was able to answer my last question myself I think. I couldnt really see any bad effects to having the higher gears as long as you drive it correctly. And I should adjust my driving anyway . So I will probably go with 4.56's.

One last question is can anyone help me find a write up for installing the gears im sure there has to be one around somewhere? Ive searched and searched but cant seem to find one.

I dont know of any good shops around where I live that will regear, unless anyone else in Colorado knows of a good place? Hopefully not far from Pueblo/Colorado Springs?

As always thanks for any help I get!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+instal+g...+chrysler+8.25
Callelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2012, 01:18 PM   #15
Steev89
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks but I actually ended up finally finding the write up I was looking for on here.

My question still stands if anyone in Colorado knows of a good place to get new gears installed I would appreciate it since they could probably do a better job than I could lol

Tags
4.11 , gears

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.