Air conditioning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Air conditioning

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 05-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
Bigdog7373

Air conditioning

Hey guys this is my first post here. I'm looking into buying an xj, probably a 2000 model or something close. Anyway, i used to own a Z71 tahoe and it had great a/c, then i sold it and bought an audi which has horrible a/c and takes forever for the car to cool off. I want to make sure i'm not going to get into this problem again. It wont make or break me getting the truck though, but i'd like to be prepared. Anyone have any complaints about it or does it work well? I'm in south florida so a/c is a must. Thanks in advance

Bigdog7373 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

167,000 miles with original A/C compressor. Cools off fast. Cold as ice
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It's really a toss up man. All compressors in any car can go bad. (or for that matter the evap, condenser, etc etc.)

My dad is an HVAC Technician, so people always bring their cars to my house to get them charged. I watched him fix 3 Cherokees; One had a slow leak, one had a bad compressor, and one had a hole in the evaporator. Does that mean the A/C is bad? No. If something wasn't wrong with it in the first place, they wouldn't of brought it to him. I'm sure there are plenty that have no problems.

Take Cactus as an example. I personally have a hole in the evap as well. Don't feel like fixing it yet.

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
DerMeister
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well, my 2000 has had some AC problems. Hopefully I am near the end of it all. The issue im sure as you know is the cost of AC components, re-charging and in the case with the 97+ XJ, the work involved in the evaporator.

First, my clutch bearing went out on the compressor. Swapped it out with a remain, bam $200. Re-charge, $60.

All leaked out. Found out it was the evaporaor. Bam $120.

It'll take a day or two to fix, and then another re-charge.

I just don't know if it was worth it. The evaporator is prone to leaking on the 97+ models and its a PITA to replace.
DerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
Bigdog7373

The more i read about these trucks the more it seems like they are prone to a lot of problems. Think i'll just get another tahoe, and i've got enough $ for a bigger lift than before. Thanks for the responses.
Unread 05-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

120k on my 2000. A/C blows cold. Definitely the original compressor and I've never recharged it in the 1.5 years i've owned it
Unread 05-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog7373 View Post
The more i read about these trucks the more it seems like they are prone to a lot of problems. Think i'll just get another tahoe, and i've got enough $ for a bigger lift than before. Thanks for the responses.
Go read a tahoe forum, I bet they're just as prone, if not more prone, to problems than the Cherokee. Any vehicle with many years of service and high miles is going to have some sort of problem or maintenance issue. If they're taken care of, they'll last forever. I've owned two XJs and have never owned a more reliable vehicle in my life.
Unread 05-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
Corcor4
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus_jack View Post
Go read a tahoe forum, I bet they're just as prone, if not more prone, to problems than the Cherokee. Any vehicle with many years of service and high miles is going to have some sort of problem or maintenance issue. If they're taken care of, they'll last forever. I've owned two XJs and have never owned a more reliable vehicle in my life.
this. same on my 2nd, wish i never sold the first and had to get another one. This one doesn't have AC... i like it more, suns out guns out (doors off)

i can assure you, you would love an xj.

when it comes to AC its a toss up in any car. buy one with lower miles and keep track of the maintenance (as you should with any car) and you'll be fine. ive bought my xj's with higher miles 160k+ and love them. not to mention most jeep owners i've met are way more helpful and friend than the other cars/trucks i've owned.
Corcor4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
brycec
2011 JK Wrangler 

My evap core needed to be replaced on my 99 XJ after 90k miles. I learned from that experience that the XJ has been notorious for that failure. That being said, now that it's working, it works great. I'm in Houston and when we are pushing 105 outside (with a black on black XJ) the back tends to stay a bit warm regardless of how long the AC is on for.
brycec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
critmuncy99
1998 XJ Cherokee 

U better stick with a tahoe.The 4.0 Engines in these jeeps are crap.I should have keep my VW beetle.
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by critmuncy99
U better stick with a tahoe.The 4.0 Engines in these jeeps are crap.I should have keep my VW beetle.
Seriously? Someone needs their man card pulled.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
Bigdog7373

Quote:
Originally Posted by critmuncy99 View Post
Well i dont know about them being crap lol. But i have heard they are prone to leaks and top end problems. Also it seems like if i were to lift it 4.5" like my intentions were, i would end up getting the same gas mileage as the lifted tahoe anyway. So i might as well get the bigger truck right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.