Ahh, it's good to be back in a Cherokee! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Ahh, it's good to be back in a Cherokee!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
sanrico
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ahh, it's good to be back in a Cherokee!

This weekend, I took the XJ out to the hills of northern New Mexico. I had a score to settle with a particularly steep hill that conquered me last year:

Last year, I took my 2008 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road to this same area to do some wheeling. I made several runs at this challenging hill. First in 4x4 high, then 4x4 low, then using my locker. Nothing. All I did was kick up a ton of sand and make the ruts deeper. I tried approaching it with some speed, then tried going slowly. Nothing.

After probably a dozen attempts, I hung my head in defeat and drove off to do the rest of the trails.

Yesterday, I introduced my STOCK XJ to the same hill. The wind was blasting and sand was whipping all around. In 4x4 high, I approached the hill and made my way up it like a Billy Goat heading to a mating call. No problem!

Man, it felt good to stand on top of that hill and look at the view all around. You can see the highway from there and I hoped the traffic of big Dodge trucks could see me standing up there in victory!

sanrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
Levinz11
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Pics?????????
Unread 03-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
sanrico
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Unfortunately, no pics. I was standing up there on top and realized I had forgotten my camera. Still a great feeling though.
Unread 03-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I am not looking to get chastised by this and I have had 3 XJ, (to show my own personal bias) but I still don't understand why the jeep 4wd is so much better. I mean for just going up a hill where \SFA/ vs \IFS/ shouldn't make a difference - if the tires were comparable the toyota should have made it up.
Unread 03-23-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

^^^not necessarily. It has to do with how a vehicle handles also and the wieght distribution. You could put the same tires on a chevy 1500 regular cab 4x4 but it would not make it because its lighter in the back and would spin out. I can go places in my XJ where my friends 4x4 ranger cant because his back end slides out. It depends on how the driver handles the vehicle also. Theres some people who suck at driving and couldnt drive a lifted TJ on 35's up a trail while another person could drive a stock WJ up it.

In other words: 4wd is 4wd but how its used affects the capabilities

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
jontz
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Congrats on the hill climb! Bet that was satisfying...now get back up there and take some pics
jontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
sanrico
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsucka View Post
I am not looking to get chastised by this and I have had 3 XJ, (to show my own personal bias) but I still don't understand why the jeep 4wd is so much better. I mean for just going up a hill where \SFA/ vs \IFS/ shouldn't make a difference - if the tires were comparable the toyota should have made it up.
I think you bring up a valid point. And when I was wheeling my Toyota in the 4x4 clubs and the Jeep owners were turning up their noses at me, I kept saying, "Hey, 4x4 is 4x4...just because yours is a Jeep does not mean it can out-wheel mine!"

Well, I don't know where the "magic" came from. Weight distribution, wheelbase (the XJ wheel base is almost 20 full inches shorter than the Tacoma TRD), solid rear axle? I don't know...

I just know that Tacoma tried over and over and over to get up that hill and all I did was blast sand all over the place (with a locker, mind you!), whereas my XJ scrambled up that hill no problema.

Damn, I wish I had a camera with me. I guess I just need to re-visit that hill!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.