Advice from other Jeep owners. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Advice from other Jeep owners.

Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-03-2011, 03:52 AM   #1
IKN0WKUNGFU
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Advice from other Jeep owners.

I am in a quandary and cant really make a decision and I need to do so in the next 3 days so help me out.

My stock muffler finally bit the dust as it has developed a 10 inch crack on the underside of it. (It was not a rock I swear…..)

My problem is this…

I am thinking of buying a Flowmaster 40 series from a friend. The box was water damaged and his boss cant sell it at his shop so he has offered it to me for cheap. (around 60$) Now the question/s is: will this make unbearably loud noise inside the car while driving? Will this do anything for the performance of the car? Should I even bother putting a nice muffler on a 87 XJ with 223 thousand on the engine? And most important of all, Will this be easy to do?

And maybe a side question will this make me look like a idiot of the highest order putting a thunder down under in a jeep?

Opinion's?

Here is a link to a sound clip if you need it. (not my jeep) http://youtu.be/RGhPhxT66kM

Unread 07-03-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
2000BB6
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I say do it, for the reason being its a flowmaster for cheap. Also it might give you a little power but in return it will be louder inside the cab while driving. I think they sound nice too.
Unread 07-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have the 40 on my TJ, it sounds nice, but is not too loud. What modifications will be required to make this work? Only you can answer this question. Is your current exhaust system a clamp together system, or were the joints welded? What tools do you have for doing exhaust work? Exhaust work is a dirty nasty job that can be a Royal PITA. Have you thought about making a deal on the muffler "Installed".... When I had the 40 installed on my TJ, I think I paid $180.00 for a new muffler, new tailpipe, at least one new hanger, installed and out the door (including tax).
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Do it man! I'm pretty sure I'll be hooking up a competition race muffler to mine once it's up running (free from a friend) ha-ha!

That Flowmaster 40 series sounds great; if I wanted to shell out the dough both of my Jeeps would be running it.
Unread 07-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
IKN0WKUNGFU
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
I have the 40 on my TJ, it sounds nice, but is not too loud. What modifications will be required to make this work? Only you can answer this question. Is your current exhaust system a clamp together system, or were the joints welded? What tools do you have for doing exhaust work? Exhaust work is a dirty nasty job that can be a Royal PITA. Have you thought about making a deal on the muffler "Installed".... When I had the 40 installed on my TJ, I think I paid $180.00 for a new muffler, new tailpipe, at least one new hanger, installed and out the door (including tax).
The Joints are welded together. and as far as the tools go I have no lift, I have jack stands a good jack and a sawzall plus you know the standard wrenches and such. but if you got it done for $180 I might go that route. Think it would be alright to show up at a shop and be like "Can you put this on that car for me?"
Unread 07-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
spdcat01TJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Get that muffler for $60. Go to a local muffler shop, and have them cut off the old one and weld on the new one for about $25 and you're done!

NRA Member
'01 TJ Sahara, 3" BB front, 2.25" BB rear, 1.25 JKS BL, 1" MML, Skyjacker Hydro shocks,33/12.50x15 BFG TA/KO All Terrains homemade disco's, Hi-Lift, CB, GPS
spdcat01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdcat01TJ View Post
Get that muffler for $60. Go to a local muffler shop, and have them cut off the old one and weld on the new one for about $25 and you're done!
$25.00...... I wouldn't think they would let you pull into an empty bay for $25.00
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I got my Flowmaster ( no idea what series ) out of a pull ya part for $10. Went to the local muffler guy(not a chain place, find a local guy) and he welded it on for $15. Best decision I ever made. Its not too loud and that is with no Cat ( don't give me crap enviro's, I could care less ). So with no cat and the Flowmaster, sounds pretty damned good. ( And I pulled my cat after it collapsed on itself and I lost power, pretty common with these. BTW, 2 mpg improvement and seat of the pants power increase from gettin rid of the damned thing. ) Your state may vary, mine doesn't do inspections.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 12:05 AM   #9
IKN0WKUNGFU
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
I got my Flowmaster ( no idea what series ) out of a pull ya part for $10. Went to the local muffler guy(not a chain place, find a local guy) and he welded it on for $15. Best decision I ever made. Its not too loud and that is with no Cat ( don't give me crap enviro's, I could care less ). So with no cat and the Flowmaster, sounds pretty damned good. ( And I pulled my cat after it collapsed on itself and I lost power, pretty common with these. BTW, 2 mpg improvement and seat of the pants power increase from gettin rid of the damned thing. ) Your state may vary, mine doesn't do inspections.
Unfortunately AZ does check and require you to have that retarded thing. I have even heard that it is a hefty fine if they pull you over and you don't have one. And $15 is not bad at all if I could get that done I might buy a new tail pipe as well.

P.S. God bless you for dropping that Cat and proving everyday that we are not killing the planet and bursting into flames.
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
spdcat01TJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
$25.00...... I wouldn't think they would let you pull into an empty bay for $25.00
A local shop that is not busy should welcome the opportunity to make an easy $25 for 20 minutes worth of work and a brazing rod, plus the opportunity to maybe get you as a repeat customer.

NRA Member
'01 TJ Sahara, 3" BB front, 2.25" BB rear, 1.25 JKS BL, 1" MML, Skyjacker Hydro shocks,33/12.50x15 BFG TA/KO All Terrains homemade disco's, Hi-Lift, CB, GPS
spdcat01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee , modification , muffler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.