Advice on modifications to my XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Advice on modifications to my XJ

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 11-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
rjlaraway

Advice on modifications to my XJ

Picked up a 1995 2 door Cherokee Sport with 80K miles on her. Made some small mechanical repairs, new exhaust system and new 02 sensor and some new All Weather Tires, General Grabbers.

Really want to play around and make this stock XJ a head turner. Looking for advice on the Pros-Cons of throwing a budget boost lift on her. I know nothing about lifts but I've heard people say it will ruin the ride, you can get "death wobble" it will cause damage to the steering. This is an every day driver for me with little off roading (unfortunately) so I don't want anything to extreme. Just looking for something that looks a little more aggressive and makes the XJ look nice.

Also thinking about getting a new roof rack and front grille with light mounts.

rjlaraway is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to the forum, and i have a 2" BB on mine. Rides well with no issues the i can find. Enjoy your new to you XJ, and make sure you hit the dirt with it too!

Btw here is mine.

forumrunner_20121130_103838.jpg

Sent from my imagination
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
218bps
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome. From what I've heard and read about, the "death wobble" doesn't usually occur unless its about 4"+ lift or bad tires, rust etc. And nice on getting it low mileage. I'm still mostly stock myself and would also like to give it the head turner. Look forward to seeing what you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81 View Post
Welcome to the forum, and i have a 2" BB on mine. Rides well with no issues the i can find. Enjoy your new to you XJ, and make sure you hit the dirt with it too!

Btw here is mine.

Attachment 516333

Sent from my imagination
How did you do your setup? I'm going to do my planning for a lift in the next couple of months, but any advice on what you did or should have would be appreciated
218bps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
paintball10148
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My xj is on a 3.5" lift and rides and handles just like stock. It's all about the parts you buy. If you're just doing a small lift you shouldn't have to worry about death wobble as that relates to the condition of your suspension components and tires or your alignment. Good luck with it! And be sure to start a build thread so we can watch the progress
paintball10148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
raypla
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Death wobble can and does occur on any and all solid front axle vehicles. Keep an eye on your rockers for rust/rot. It sounds like you have a solid, low mileage XJ there. Take care of it, it likely has many miles left on to it. Oh the search button is your friend. Check out NAXJA http://www.naxja.org/forum/ join and use the advanced search feature before posting and you'll find every thing has been covered a 100X.

As far as upgrades my philosophy is do it right and do it once. If you have to save up an extra week to get the better part do it.
99 XJ 4.0 D30 29sp 8.25, IRO TB & HD Tie Rod, Kellys WIP main 5 wires 1AWG http://www.kelleyswip.com/price.html, Banks header, Stainless Magnaflow catback, cat, 2" OME lift, JC1B Leafs, OME sports, JKS discos, 30X9.5X15 BFG AT's, Fastman 62mmTB, Cibie E-codes with 55/60 Osram bulbs, Putco harness=JUNK!!, Alpine 7563 Deck, PWX 10" Cubby, JBL GTI 180.2 400wX1 rms, 6.5 Infinity Perfects , front PWX 6.5, Infinity ref amp 111wX4 rms, Optima Yellow, 100 sqft of http://store.secondskinaudio.com/damplifier/
raypla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by raypla View Post
Death wobble can and does occur on any and all solid front axle vehicles. Keep an eye on your rockers for rust/rot. It sounds like you have a solid, low mileage XJ there. Take care of it, it likely has many miles left on to it. Oh the search button is your friend. Check out NAXJA http://www.naxja.org/forum/ join and use the advanced search feature before posting and you'll find every thing has been covered a 100X.

As far as upgrades my philosophy is do it right and do it once. If you have to save up an extra week to get the better part do it.
^^^ This. Also, first thing I'd do is an overhaul of all the "consumable" maintenance items: oil/filter, belt, coolant flush/refill, spark plugs, air filter, f/r diff, t-case, probably even tranny fluid and check your brakes. If this is your daily driver, any used rig for that matter, you need a solid baseline for all these things so you know exactly where you stand as far as what was done, what products were used, and when it was last done.

Welcome to the forums

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
welderjames84
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Roof rack idea

Here are a few I have done for customers. Let me know if you need size specs if you are building your own. Thanks James

Unread 12-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you plan on taking it offroad you should buy Sliders, and Recovery equipment
Unread 12-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you want a head turner get a 10 inch lift and 40 inch tires. You ever see a jeep look like that!
moses21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.