Advice for Headlight Housing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Advice for Headlight Housing

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-12-2014, 07:40 AM   #1
shooptube
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Advice for Headlight Housing

Alright its time for a headlight upgrade. I have read a few threads on converting such as the LED thread or the halogen thread. I have decided that I want to go with h4 bulbs and housings because there have been instances where LEDs do not get hot enough to melt snow off the lenses. I do not want to spend a whole bunch on everything but I also do not want to be the a** on the road blinding everyone.
I have been looking around on amazon and been looking over these products:

http://www.amazon.com/Autopal-H6054-...t+housing+6054

http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Performa...t+housing+6054

http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-WI-HL6A-...SH7N0TD5H1C2HR

http://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Housing...XV73JB3XQ3X7KY

I also plan on running 100w bulbs so I need to know if any of these would not hold up to the heat.
If you guys have any other suggestions or cheaper housings that are glass, I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance all.

Unread 12-12-2014, 08:01 AM   #2
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

relevant to my interests. Tag.
Unread 12-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
Xride

You don't want to be that a hole on the road but will be running 100w bulbs?
Any of those housings will be fine, you are going to melt your wiring harness before those housings.
Unread 12-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
shooptube
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xride View Post
Any of those housings will be fine, you are going to melt your wiring harness before those housings.
Not to be rude but if you did any research before commenting, you would realize that you can safely run 100w bulbs without blinding people if you properly adjust them. Also I have already installed a Putco Headlight Harness.
Unread 12-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

ECE (aka E-code) Autopal,Hella, IPF, Delta Tech, or Cibie are all good. Pick the price you're most comfortable, but you do get what you pay for.

While technically a good pattern with good aim will keep other drivers safe, 100w is a lot to risk going into someone's eyes and more light than I feel anyone needs. My 70/65w bulbs in Cibie housings are more than enough light for safe driving. Higher wattage bulbs also have shorter lifespans.

Sent from my phone

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xride View Post
Wattage makes zero difference if you have proper housings and have them aimed correctly.

I run 100/80s and they're not even as bright as the stock headlights on my Ram.
Unread 12-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
Tru2Chevy
Web Wheeler

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I haven't seen the Autopal e-codes on Amazon in a while - I usually direct people to this ebay store when they are looking for them: http://stores.ebay.com/Autopal-Lights

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #8
shooptube
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Wattage makes zero difference if you have proper housings and have them aimed correctly.

That why I was kinda confused because I know most newer cars have brighter lights than 100w H4s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
I haven't seen the Autopal e-codes on Amazon in a while - I usually direct people to this ebay store when they are looking for them: http://stores.ebay.com/Autopal-Lights

- Justin
Yeah I was originally looking for the E-Codes but no luck. Thanks for your link, I will check them out.

Quick question, I am pretty sure that I want glass lenses correct? I have seen some plastic front ones and I thought they were not high quality.
Unread 12-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

E-codes are definitely what you want, and also 80/100w is what you'll want as well. I would not want any less light than that at all. That's what Im running and the light is good but as MC said its no better than a lot of vehicles factory lights nowadays.

And yes, glass.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Recently wrote this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/headlights-2891137/

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #11
shooptube
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
I really like the thread and am glad it was made into a sticky.
I also do not want the awful "blue" tint the the cheap bulbs give off. This is a Jeep not a Honda
Unread Yesterday, 12:53 PM   #12
Xride

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooptube View Post
Not to be rude but if you did any research before commenting, you would realize that you can safely run 100w bulbs without blinding people if you properly adjust them. Also I have already installed a Putco Headlight Harness.
You asked if 100w would melt those housing, I replied with your harness will melt before the housings. That comment is regardless of putco or not.

I know more about lighting than you will ever hope to know. And NOT A SINGLE one of those housings can handle a 100w without blinding. You need a housing with a cut off.

Quote:

I have made the most important part of your post easier to see. None of his linked housings fit what I highlighted.
Unread Yesterday, 05:36 PM   #13
djwrangler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Wattage absolutely makes a difference. Even properly aimed, oncoming traffic will be under the cutoff of the low beams if you are coming over a crest or hill in the road. This is where restricting the low beam wattage will reduce the affect on others.

There are good bulbs out there with high watt high beams that retain 55 watt low beams.
djwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.