Advice? '99 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Advice? '99 Jeep Cherokee Sport

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGOffset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 09-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #16
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Modifications in order of importance to me:

1) Tires, 235/75/R15 all terrians in whatever flavor you think is best.
2) Front tow points.
3) Rear tow points.
(Note: new bumpers are better than the other options available when it comes to tow points. Save some money up, look for bargains, and bite the bullet. You'll be happier in the long run me thinks)
4) Gas tank skid plate.
5) Any other skid you can come up with.
6) Upgrade the rearend. Minimum Chrysler 8.25 and a lunchbox locker or LSD.
6) Lift but only after 1-6 are done. The first thing many people do but as you can see it's way down my list.

Unread 09-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #17
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Not saying these guys aren't always this nice, but they definitely wouldn't be helping you so much if you weren't a girl lol.

But yea, you have a great vehicle for offload already. The first thing I did was a lift but honestly I wish now that I had held off on that for a while. Definitely other things you can do first that will not just improve its performance but, more importantly, improve its reliability off road.
macklamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
DJMLST

Thank you! I will definitely be doing so! I really appreciate you specifying everything!
DJMLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #19
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

BTW, if you wheel with a club many (i.e. most?) are gonna require front and rear tow pints, CB and fire extinguisher minimum. Tells you what those guys put for importance.
Unread 09-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #20
DJMLST

I unfortunately am going alone. No one I know is into it like I am and i'm not part of any of the clubs! I may take my best guy friend along but it's mainly just me exploring haha (: thank you all so so much I'm working on getting everything you guys suggested in order
Unread 09-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #21
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Have you checked it over for any rust issues?
XJmike0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #22
Muddy97Cherokee
1997 XJ Cherokee 

There are clubs in every state. I'm part of multiple clubs here in Oklahoma. Search the local area forums, a little further down the main forum. Not all clubs require things like CB's or fire extinguishers and a fee to be considered "in the group." Check Facebook for jeep groups and off road groups. And don't be afraid to join groups because you are young. I was 18 not too long ago and when I joined some groups I found other teenage jeepers to offroad with; even though the older ones didn't scare me, it just felt better being around people my age.

And I would never go wheeling alone. Always have at least one other vehicle with you that could keep up with you on the trail.
Good luck!

Oh, and post some pics of your Jeep!

Almost forgot, welcome to the forum!

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/groups/295467847240084/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Lime"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][FONT="Arial"]Oklahoma Unibody Jeepers[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[URL="http://okjeepers.com/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Yellow"][FONT="Arial"]Oklahoma Jeepers[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

-Zack
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #23
DJMLST

I have checked it for rust (: and I will be checking for clubs after class today! Thank you! I think I may have found one, actually!! (: everyone has been extremely welcoming and helpful so thanks!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.