Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Advice

545 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  75SV1 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Looking for some advice - looking at a 1999 XJ, 151000 on the clock. Looks sound all around.... This would be my 4th Cherokee, but I'm a firm believer in getting opinions.

I know well enough to know that the I6 is a workhorse - should I have any reservations about the mileage/year?

I appreciate the help.

#2 ·
Previous owner maintenance is a key factory in being worried about XJs. They like their cooling systems to be taken care of. They like oil changes but are great engines even if abused. Rust is also a killer of XJs. Check the usual stuff, TREs, ball joints, ujoints, that kinda stuff. Listen for weird noises, clunks etc.

#5 ·
I was shopping got a 99 and saw quite a few of them. I saw a lot of blown heater cores for some reason, bad frame rot especially control arm mount points and floor boards. I eventually found a low mileage one that was exactly what I wanted. There are plenty out there.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Hey all,

Looking for some advice - looking at a 1999 XJ, 151000 on the clock. Looks sound all around.... This would be my 4th Cherokee, but I'm a firm believer in getting opinions.

I know well enough to know that the I6 is a workhorse - should I have any reservations about the mileage/year?

I appreciate the help.
99's a good year. XJ's are all down to rust and the test drive. Any maintenance records you can get are great, but if it rides and drives well and it's not rotting out it's probably fine. If you plan to lift and wheel it figure out which rear axle it has. Take your smart phone and google 8.25 vs d35 and you'll be able to see a picture that will help you identify which one. A D35 is good to about 31's, upgrading it to do more than that costs more than a swap to a better axle.

Bear in mind, I would expect to spend anywhere from 300 to 700 dollars on ignored maintenance when buying a new XJ. Primarily that's U-joints, bushings, steering components, fluid changes and a cooling system refresh. Other things like brakes, wheel bearings, etc are conditional to the vehicle. More maintenance is better. XJ's are tough and will keep running with a lot of abuse so people will just keep ignoring them as problems pile up.

#7 ·
I just bought a 99 and the previous owner (2nd - he bought it in 2002) - he kept awesome records and that was the reason I bought it with almost 200k on the clock.

I had a local shop also check it out and they were amazed and how well maintained it was - not a drop of oil leaking anywhere and the guy I bought it from was meticulous on oil changes and replacements as needed. He had everything documented from the day he bought it - almost unheard of for most owners.

#8 ·
I wouldn't be afraid of those miles. As others have said, rust and maintenance. As for LP and head, possibly not as big of an issue for me. I did put in a LP in my '98. The gears were cheaper, and I don't think my intent is for hard core off road. If it has anti-lock then D35. I wouldn't let that stop you if you plan larger tires. At least one has done the Ford 8.8 and modified for anti-lock brakes. At this point, my outlook is body condition. I can do mechanical work if needed. Most swap out stuff anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.