Actual Effects of Hood Vents? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Actual Effects of Hood Vents?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSave 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!

Unread 02-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #16
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I thought vents would help when driving on the beach. Nope. Overheated the Jeep and trans last year in OBX. That's with a 3-core radiator and trans cooler too.

A properly maintained cooling system will work much better than hood vents. My vents were just as much for looks as they were for cooling the engine.

Unread 02-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #17
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I shimmed the back of the hood ... definitely cooled it down a bit. When I'm on the trail and really beating on the jeep, I can feel a substantial amount of heat coming out of the back of the engine.
Unread 02-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #18
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hood vents can lower the under-hood and engine temperatures.

If your cooling system overheats, you have a cooling system maintenance issue that no amount of hood vents can cure.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #19
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Hood vents can lower the under-hood and engine temperatures.

If your cooling system overheats, you have a cooling system maintenance issue that no amount of hood vents can cure.
I didn't really have problems with it running, it was when I turned it off the underhood temps would soar.
Unread 02-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #20
HankyDanky
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I have the same vents installed on my XJ. They really helped me a lot, living in AZ and already dealing with the heat. I noticed it kept my engine temperature more in range while at a stand still in traffic and also slowly creeping on trails.

Don't have a before and after of the engine bay temps but from the gauge on the dash it helped quite a bit. Best $30 I have spent.

The XJ Rebuild- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1327643/

People are always grabbing the handles, clutching the seat, or stomping an imaginary brake peddle when we're out having fun.
HankyDanky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #21
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I have to agree with Carves. I did NOT have any cooling issues prior to my poking holes in my hood. Therefor would not recommend this as a fix of any sort. Rather just another of many "improvements" to the original design.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #22
Jeff9
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I totally agree with that. And as I've said several times, I do not have cooling problems. Far from it actually. I'm just looking at the vents as a potential improvement, not a band-aid.
Jeff9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 01:02 AM   #23
chevy6bt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I seen in one of the ultimate adventures there was a red xj that had a e-fan mounted on the hood drawing out the hot air. i bet that makes a noticeable difference.
Unread 02-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #24
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just did a total overhaul of my cooling system including a 3 row radiator and have not noticed my engine running cooler/ heat reduction, the only thing I have left to do is some kind of hood vents to keep that engine bay cooler. I think that if these XJs could have been made with some type of hood ventilation the heat issues would be eliminated.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #25
DerMeister
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenez1
I have to agree with Carves. I did NOT have any cooling issues prior to my poking holes in my hood. Therefor would not recommend this as a fix of any sort. Rather just another of many "improvements" to the original design.
Same here, if it wasnt below freezing half of the year here I'd do this. My cooling system is fine, but I bet i'd see some mild improvements. My coolant temp can spike after shut down, and I'd probably shave off a few degrees running. Plus it can look great if done with taste.
DerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #26
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe108 View Post
I just did a total overhaul of my cooling system including a 3 row radiator and have not noticed my engine running cooler/ heat reduction, the only thing I have left to do is some kind of hood vents to keep that engine bay cooler. I think that if these XJs could have been made with some type of hood ventilation the heat issues would be eliminated.
So you replaced the thermostat/housing, water pump, and radiator? Was it overheating before? If you replaced everything with OEM type parts, you should really get much better cooling, it should just work like factory. The Jeep normally runs at around 210*. If you are substantially over that, then you have other issues and hood vents won't help.
Unread 02-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #27
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

On my XJ upon shut down (after moderate 4wheeling) my engine bay heat soaks my injectors and It throws a CEL for #3 & #4, I did the cooling system since I have no idea how long its been since the pump and hoses have been change, and wanted to make it as reliable as possible. On my last trip when we stopped on the trail, I would lift the hood up to vent the engine, and got no further misfires or CEL, and the weather was cold and snowing at the time of the CEL. So if I can find me some hood or vents that I like, I think any heat soak issues should be taken care of.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2014, 06:04 AM   #28
OEburntpiston
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I just started working at a jeep dealer and found a new pcm update/flash that lowered my engine temp and got rid of the running rough after a hot soak. The temp gauge never runs in the middle anymore, always one notch lower and the electric fan runs more often.
OEburntpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 05:12 AM   #29
jeepster425
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So how about some more info on the PCM update??

Sent from my iPad while pondering life
"my jeep burns the gas your prius saves"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch8672 View Post
Leather makes me sweat like Kanye West at a David Allan Coe concert...

__=====,o00o,
//__l_l_,\____\,_____
l_/-\_l__l_/-\_|
lllllll|
{o}_} {o}_}--o-}_}
jeepster425 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 10:04 AM   #30
OEburntpiston
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I did some looking and found an update that almost completely cured my jeep feeling like it ran rough after driving for a while and running into a store for about ten minutes. As far as I can tell it just runs a little cooler, instead of the temp gauge being in the middle it stays to the left and the fan runs more often. I actually was thinking of installing an electric fan and using the factory switch on wire for it with a relay. It should work in theory.
OEburntpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.