99 XJ Daily Driver/Expedition Build - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 99 XJ Daily Driver/Expedition Build

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #106
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Last week I found a local guy selling a full set of IronMan control arms for $300 which was great since they has the Currie Johnny Joints. My WJ arms were severely limiting my droop because the arm would contact the bottom of the spring perch.

These arms are super beefy. They weigh 2-3 times what the WJ arms do and those are heavier than stock XJ arms.
The threaded shank is gigantic. I do not ever anticipate these bending or having any problems in the future.

However, I tried to install them and there were a few problems that I ran into...

The upper arms need a much larger bolt on the frame side. It is a 12mm for anyone interested. This was pretty easy to drill out the mount on the frame side, and my local fastener store hooked me up with some 10.9(metric equivalent to grade 8) bolts. The axle side holes on the upper arms are also bigger than the OEM bushing sleeves, but not my much. I do not think there will be any extra noise from this. If there is I will be drilling out the bushing sleeve to accommodate the larger bolts I bought.

The lower arms could use a bolt slightly larger than stock, but I am going to try the original bolts and see if there is any noise issues with them. If there are then I will be boring out some mounts.

The main problem that you can see from the pictures above is that the arms cannot compress down to stock length. They cannot even get short enough to accommodate a 3 inch lift. I installed them on one side and it pushed my axle at least an inch forward.
I was to lazy to take the tire off to get a good picture, but you can kind of see it here:

I decided not to continue installing them due to this issue, so It has been sitting in my driveway on jack stands for most of the week.
I really hope I am correct in my assumption, but with more life these arms should be the correct length. So that leads me to my next point.
The good news in this situation is that I was forced to buy some goodies to make up for this.
I purchased the 5.5" dual-rate lift springs from Metalcloak. I was originally planning on buying thier control arms, but these arms fell into my lap. Plus when I upgrade to long arms they will not be hard to sell and they never hit my budget that hard to begin with.

I was able to get away without an adjustable track bar with only 3 inches of lift in the front, but it keep getting worse as I add lift. This is why I purchased This monster from Clayton Offroad.
I was going to buy the Metalcloak track bar, but I really want the assurance of a double sheer mount. I do not think I would have any flex issues with the Metalcloak bar, but with the Clayton bar there should never be any binding no matter how much it flexes due to the double sheer mount on each side.

As it sits now with the stock track bar you can see how far the axle is shifted:

Unread 08-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #107
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

My poor Jeep will be sitting like this for another few days...

Also, I think I forgot to mention that I picked up a roof rack a few months ago. I have it mounted to my stock cross bars at the moment.
Unread 08-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #108
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Totally unrelated, but a few months ago I bought a MillerMatic 211 and accessories. I will be posting pics later of my setup. I have not done any structural welding, and I do not feel comfortable welding to my jeep yet, but hopefully soon I will be able to start really fabricating.
My first ever welds with Fluxcore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.