99 XJ Daily Driver/Expedition Build - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 99 XJ Daily Driver/Expedition Build

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 01-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #91
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

^x2

You should enter the January COTM contest if you havent already.

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #92
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
^x2

You should enter the January COTM contest if you havent already.
Thanks guys, I actually have submitted my entry already. Pretty excited about it!
Unread 01-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #93
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I am not sure if I mentioned it, but my plans to buy a Millermetic 200 fell through since he sold it to someone else under my nose... I am needing to buy something and I might as well buy new since it seems that I will only save maybe 10% on used since welders hold their value so well. I am thinking about the Millermatic 211 and all of the reviews say it is a great welder. I have a few plans such as frame plates, and bumpers, but the largest project I can see in my future would be building a cage.
From the specs on the machine I believe that it will work for all of these projects, but I would like other opinions.
Unread 01-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #94
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Pretty happy to say that I won Cherokee of the month for January! It was for baby Cherokees, but there was some pretty good competition nonetheless. Thanks to everyone who voted!

Progress on my Jeep has been slow, but I have been working on both my father's and younger brothers jeeps quite a lot this winter.

Dad's Jeep:
Installed Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners. Replaced his bottomed out Rusty brand POS 6.5 inch springs. Installing a SYE this weekend.

Brother 2:
One of my younger brothers just bought a 97 XJ and I installed a new cat since the PO had removed it.

Brother1:
I have mentioned working on his 93 ZJ before, but I installed a new NSS and ignition because he doesn't appreciate working on his own Jeep enough.
Unread 04-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #95
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have been really lazy here lately, but there has been some progress. I was finally able to add some real lighting. [IMG][/IMG]
Unread 04-08-2014, 09:46 PM   #96
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nice build .. Nice rig :-)

I like the expo style myself ... That's where I'm hoping to end up :-)

Love the jeep brother
Unread 04-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #97
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Project, it is not true expo yet but as always it is a work in progress.
I have been meaning to get better pictures of the light bar, but it is not as clean as I would like it. I have seen people use a rubberish/plastic trim that they put on the sheet metal edges after trimming flares. I bought some online, but it was not what was pictured. Does anyone know what and where I can find some? I really want to give it a finished look.
Unread 04-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #98
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Pick up some door edge trim from your local parts store's ricer section. Basically small flattish tube with a slit and a line of adhesive inside. I used it to pretty up my fender trimming but I see no reason it wouldnt work for you here.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 04-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #99
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Pick up some door edge trim from your local parts store's ricer section. Basically small flattish tube with a slit and a line of adhesive inside. I used it to pretty up my fender trimming but I see no reason it wouldnt work for you here.
That is probably the picture I was thinking about but I couldn't find it in your build thread since it is so long.
AutoZone didn't seem to have anything like that, so I will hit up some other stores today. Thanks for the info.
Unread 04-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #100
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinofhardy View Post
That is probably the picture I was thinking about but I couldn't find it in your build thread since it is so long.
AutoZone didn't seem to have anything like that, so I will hit up some other stores today. Thanks for the info.
Yea my build thread has gotten difficult to navigate. Ive considered starting one with the highlights covered but I flipped through every page a while back and at least every other page in most cases has something relevant on it in one way or another. I get PM's relatively often from people trying to find something from the build and I just send a link of where its at, so if you need anything like this in the future just give me a shout, Ill get you on the right page.

Build is looking good as usual, btw. Glad to see you back on and posting.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 04-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #101
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

So, I am really dissapointed at the moment. I ordered a set oh HID retrofits from a fellow on another forum, but that has turned into a **** storm. For anyone looking for a lesson in bad customer service please read THIS.
To sum it up, he took about $20,000 of customer's money and never responded. Occasionally got orders out and responded once he was flamed on a local forum. May turn into a legal matter. I just wanted my headlights. The good news though is that I have already ordered the parts for my own, and if all goes well I will start building them to sell myself since I know how much interest there is in the product.
The materials should be arriving on Monday and I will get started.
Unread 04-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #102
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, was that FST doing that?? I had been eyeballing their tcase linkage to get my motivation to build mine with heims than the factory mess. Looks like Ill just quit being lazy and make me own when the time comes.

If there is one thing I cannot stand from a company is a failure to communicate when called upon.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 04-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #103
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Indeed it is. I have held onto the hope that it would work out, but I will no longer do business with him and neither will anybody else who does any research. He had some cool products and good prices, but the bad service or lack thereof is to much to overlook.
I just hope I can get my money back.
Unread 08-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #104
MulletBullet
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Loving your build, just sat and read every page. I look forward to more updates for more motivation with my rig.
MulletBullet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #105
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks man! It has been super slow lately, but I have a few updates to catch up on and a few more for next week.
I think I mentioned having bad axle wrap issues since I put in some small blocks in the rear to even it out. I bought the HD leaf springs from Quadratec and they were great for a while. They were a little stiffer, but they settled and began to flatten out very fast. Now, I was mean to them with my go fast driving style, and all of the off roading I have put them through. The blocks and extended shackles just trashed them though and they developed pretty bad axle wrap.
Ordered a set of 3.5 inch OME springs from JeepingOutfitters.
2 x OME-CS033RA - Old Man Emu XJ 3.5" Leaf Spring, Medium Load @ $139.99

Shipping: $0.00
Order Total : $279.98
They were just a little more expensive that the HD OEM leafs from Quadratec which cost $109 a piece.

I bought OEM style Moog bushings and they pressed in quite nicely with my shop press.
I had liberally applied antiseize to all of the leaf spring bolts so the install was super easy.
I sold my rear springs and blocks to my younger brother for $150 to offset the cost.

With these springs and my extended shackle I am sitting at 5.5 inches of lift in the rear. This extra lift and the angles it created with my drive shaft caused my already old axle side ujoint to bite the dust. I replaced it and I have had no drive line vibrations since.

With 5.5 in the rear(pun intended) and only about 3 in the front it looked a bit ridiculous. I added my original coil spring isolator back into the front and that put me at about 3.5 inches. I was king of hoping that the springs would settle, but they really haven't in over a month.

I think I have to steep of a shackle angle. I am trying to decide if I should move the shackle forward by 1 or 2 holes.

My exhaust seems to be in the way...

This is how it has been since about the middle of June.

I also bought new JKS sway bar link because the ones I bought used were way to long for me. The left nice little puncture holes in my wheel wells....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.