99 XJ Daily Driver/Expedition Build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 99 XJ Daily Driver/Expedition Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 12-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #61
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfam07 View Post
looking good! i like those new shackle re-lo's they look a bit diffucult to install?
Thanks, I appreciate the feed back!

This was my first project that involved cutting that I could not turn back from. It took me months to build up the courage to actually start cutting, but once I did the actual install was really easy.

I had to deal with a lot of rust and some slightly bent metal that made my install a bit more difficult. If you have access to a 4.5 inch angle grinder then you can do this easily. It would probably take no more than 2-4 hours.

Here is a collection of write ups from the manufacturer: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1097585

If your shackle angle isn't right then you are loosing flex and your ride is suffering. They brackets only cost $100-130 depending if you want the bolt on or the no lift brackets.

Unread 12-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #62
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Like i said yesterday I was pretty bored and wanted to work on the Jeep so I headed down to the pick and pull with my dad. They had free entrance today which saved me $2. When I finally found the jeeps that they moved there was a pretty good collection. probably 10 older cherokees and plenty of grands. Only 2 XJs that were 97+ and one was a two door so I didn't have a ton of selection. I needed the passenger front seat belt as mine was no longer staying latched. I picked up a valve cover, 99+ intake manifold and throttle body for my brothers 98, brand new looking gauge cluster, trailer lights wiring harness since I forgot to buy one when I got the hitch, picked up a fuel rail with 5 injectors since my rail is super rusty. I got all of this without using tools since someone had just left them lying around. I have no use for the injectors and I actually have a whole extra set from my dads jeep since I gave him my lower milage ones when i upgraded.

I was too lazy to go back to get my tools to get a spare front drive shaft and the seatbelt that I needed. I helped two guys find parts for their jeeps which was fun. I made out with all of that for about $75 and no work. I found a D44 in the rear of and old mail jeep think it was a CJ, but I had no use for it. There was also a hitch and OEM gas tank skid that I didn't bother with since I already had both.

So I want to know what you think. I want to paint the valve cover and I am leaning towards red since I have a few other things painted red already. Do you think it would look out of place in my engine bay?

I really need to stop spending money so I can save up for some rock rails!

I love the look of the AJ Super Rails, but I think I will be buying from RigidCo since they are local to me and have great clearance. Better pictures of the Rigid Co sliders can be found HERE. From what I have read he is willing to do some custom work so I will be getting a quote for adding the extra tube work to the sliders.

I have been drooling over the JCR bumpers, but RigidCo makes some damn good looking bumpers as well. I really like THIS version. I cannot decide between the winch bumper or getting the winch add on later. I am leaning towards the winch ready bumper though.

I would appreciate some feed back on my plans. If anyone has any reviews of these products or other options I would like to hear them.
Unread 12-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #63
Modstock
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Im also hoping to get some rocksliders next year sometime but im gonna get some chassis stiffeners first.
Modstock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #64
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

So RigidCo is not set up to add the step/outer rails to their sliders. I will need to figure it out. Modstock, I would really like some stiffeners first, but I don't know anyone with a welder that I can ask and I would imagine it would be quite a bit of work do weld them in right. A shop would probably be pretty expensive to get them installed. If I did I would have HD Engineering's stiffeners front to back by now.

The only thing I have paid someone else to do was weld in the exhaust. I have done all of the other work on my XJ. It is the best way to keep costs down.

If anyone has another option for stiffeners or rock sliders I would like to know what other options you have had a good experience with.

My Speedo gear came in the mail yesterday. I need to find a write up on changing it to see what I am in for. I will post a write up.
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #65
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just found this write up. The transfer case is a 231 just like mine so my process should be identical.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/sp...ge-121033.html

I have a 32 tooth gear to put it for my 3.55 and 31 s. Does the fact that I have a manual transmission make a difference with speedo gears. I have never seen this addressed so I don't think that it would.
Unread 12-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #66
K-R
1998 XJ Cherokee 

that's what i put in my jeep with 3.55's and 31's, worked pretty well compared with GPS speed, wasnt exact, but was close. it also seems to be working decent with my 32's now, for what its worth.

make sure you replace the o-ring too...
Unread 12-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #67
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for confirming that. Yes, I did get the o-ring. I like spending money on my XJ and I like everything to be as close to perfect as possible.

How much if any fluid should come out when I do this? I just changed it and I don't think I have much extra.
Unread 12-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #68
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

The speedo gear takes about 5 minutes to change. It was so easy that I am not going to post a write up. You can find an excellent write up here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/sp...ge-121033.html

I used my GPS and my speedometer is 1 MPH fast +/- .2 I would say that this is pretty darn accurate. I must have been off 5-10 MPH before. This should correct my MPG readings and give me some piece of mind knowing how fast I am actually going.

Also, power steering fluid doesn't taste good.
Unread 12-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #69
Modstock
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I actually do know a welder who is decent on pricing. If your interested.
Modstock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #70
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I may be interested. I have a lead on a good welder(machine) for a great price. So I think I am just going to have to learn which I have always wanted to do so this is great.

I think I mentioned it but i slept in my jeep last weekend with my puppy since we wanted to go camping so bad. It was pretty cramped back there. I was looking into options for more room and the obvious solution is taking out the bottom(part you sit on) of the back seat. There is a small lever on the passenger side, pull that and the seat lifts up and you pull the stud out of the other side and it is removed. You can then scoot the seats forward and have an extra foot. This will make plenty of room for me to sleep in there comfortably.

I am not tall, but not short either. I am 5'11" and there will be plenty of room. I need to figure out options for leveling off that space, or just putting my feet towards the front instead. Now that I know I won't have to sleep in the snow I think I will go on a lot more winter camping trips. I should have grabbed a picture. I will do that later today.

I am taking tomorrow(Friday) off so I have a 3 day weekend to test this new set up and see what I like and would make it better. My build is finally taking a step towards being an expedition rig!
Unread 12-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #71
K-R
1998 XJ Cherokee 

hey you need to buy eric's xj book: http://www.amazon.com/High-Performan.../dp/1613250657

it's only $20 initially, but since i bought it, it has probably cost me 5 to 10 grand since then :-)
Unread 12-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #72
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think I have seen this out there before. I think I found a good Christmas present for myself. Thanks!
Unread 12-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #73
jorban
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nice build! I want your take on which performance mods are worth doing. Most them seemed to improve responsiveness more than anything. I am looking for a little more power overall and some cleaner high end power (3200+ rpm). My jeep makes me cringe at 4000 rpm.

After reading I am thinking of doing the Spectre intake and a cat back exhaust (maybe high flow cat too).

The injectors and bored throttle body don't seem to make a huge a difference. Is this a fair assessment?

Also, do you have any issues with the spectre on the interstate (70+ mph)? Like whistling or noisiness?

Thanks in advance!
jorban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #74
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I will be picking up an older MillerMatic 200 and a Miller Tig welder after Christmas. The mig is the older version with the black face. Everything I have read says that it is an incredible machine. It is in really good condition and I am really excited to learn to do my own welding. I do not have many details on the tig, but I will get that info when I pick it all up.
If anyone has any good advice or sites that I can use to learn a bit about welding I would appreciate it.
Unread 12-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #75
usawrestler95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorban
Nice build! I want your take on which performance mods are worth doing. Most them seemed to improve responsiveness more than anything. I am looking for a little more power overall and some cleaner high end power (3200+ rpm). My jeep makes me cringe at 4000 rpm. After reading I am thinking of doing the Spectre intake and a cat back exhaust (maybe high flow cat too). The injectors and bored throttle body don't seem to make a huge a difference. Is this a fair assessment? Also, do you have any issues with the spectre on the interstate (70+ mph)? Like whistling or noisiness? Thanks in advance!
The whistling can be from an air leak. I have a spectre cold air intake and throttle body spacer on mine, but no whistle.
usawrestler95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.