99 XJ Daily Driver/Expedition Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 99 XJ Daily Driver/Expedition Build

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 11-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

5 Speed 99' XJ Daily Driver/Expedition/Pre Runner Build

Purchased the XJ on 09/2012 with 104k miles. Completely stock. Starting this thread a little late, but it is still a work in progress.

Current Pictures:

Current Mods:

I will be keeping current photos and list of mods on the front post to make this more interesting

kevinofhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
tonyprestonxj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Pics?
tonyprestonxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I didn't think anyone would see this yet. I am trying to figure out the pics right now.

EDIT:
For anyone else just starting out I learned how to post pictures with JF's guide located here...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/h...pforum-658070/

Last edited by kevinofhardy; 11-11-2013 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: Update
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

This was in 09/12 when I first bought the Jeep. Completely stock.
[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 11-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

The only mod you can see are the newer tires. The originals were rotting and would leak flat in about a week. p235/75/15 at the time of this photo. This is Radar, he is my trail dog and best friend. This was taken going over Camelback/Squaw Peak. [IMG][/IMG]

Now that I know how to post pictures I will get some more up tonight.
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

10/01/2012:
Price: $80 front and $80 back
I wanted to protect my new XJ so I installed Rugged Ridge front floor pan and Husky liner in the back seat.
[/URL]"]

I really love the front liners. They are super sturdy and very good at keeping the floor clean. The rear liners are decent, but they are very cheap. I wish that they had the Rugged Ridge pan type when I purchased these. They do a good enough job, but they feel cheap and do are nearly as good as the fronts.

Last edited by kevinofhardy; 11-11-2013 at 10:15 PM..
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

2/01/2013:
Price: $25 each
We all know the stock headlights on the XJ are pathetic. I got the best beams I could which were the Sylvania SilverStars. They were significantly better, but still lacking.
2/15/2013:
Price: $40
Installed the headlight harness upgrade. http://www.eautoworks.com/Putco-H4--...s-PRD7540.aspx
It was pretty straightforward if you know a bit about electrical, so of course I had trouble with it. After a week I realized that a I had a really poor ground on the drivers side causing that light to barely glow. Once I had it installed correctly it made a huge difference in the amount of light and the whiteness of it. For $40.00 this is a must do mod for every XJ owner.
Since I have installed the lights my lift has changed and they are pointed to far down, but here are some of the pictures.

Old Lighting...

New Lighting:
Low

High

Harness Pictures:
This is where is comes out. It goes to a relay mounted next to the battery. It then has a now plug for each headlight.

Last edited by kevinofhardy; 11-11-2013 at 10:16 PM..
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

2/09/2013:
Price: $200
I decided that it was time to do the fabled Injector Swap. Many people get the neon injectors, but I decided to purchase the set from PrecisionAutoInjectors. http://precisionautoinjectors.com/pr...fuel-injectors
The Good:
The customer service was good, shipping was fast. Installation was super easy. There are so many guides that I didn't bother with a write up. I could immediately tell that the jeep was more responsive. I don't think there was any significant increase in power, but the response made this very worth it.
The Bad:
From the first time I turned off the engine the Jeep would take longer to start. I would have to let it crank over many more times before it would finally catch and start up. Once it did it worked fine. I tried contacting him the same day I installed then and he would not work with me. I made several attempts to call at different times of day, and many emails that he never responded to.
I filed a chargeback with Paypal and he never even contested it. I got my money back, but I really only wanted a working set since I loved the way they performed. When I was trying to identify the issue I took the fuel rail out of the engine and pressurized them. The immediately built up a bead of gas in the tip of the injector. I was seriously concerned that this would wash my cylinders if left so I installed my old injectors again.
My father was not concerned about the hard start or the slow leak since they were not pressurized while the jeep was not running so I helped him install them. They worked fine for about a week and one day his jeep struggled to start and would run like it had a terrible misfire. We took the fuel rail off and pressurised the rail and one injector sprayed fuel into the middle of the street. We had washed his cylinder, but luckily we were able to restore compression and his jeep is still running okay with my old injectors.
4/01/2013:
Price: $240
I had ordered a new set of injectors from fiveomotorsports.com and the install was even easier since I had taken the others in and out several times to identify the issue. Performance as the same which was excellent, but it also started up perfectly. I have had them installed since then and have never had a problem.

Doesn't look any differnt

Last edited by kevinofhardy; 11-11-2013 at 10:17 PM..
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

4/1/2013:
Price: $100 after core return
I installed a bored throttle body from StrokedJeep.com. http://www.strokedjeep.com/tbody.html
I got the 63mm Tbody and the gasket. The install was super easy. I don't feel that I gained any horsepower, but this again increased the responsiveness of the engine. I mailed back my old body as a core charge and he sent me the refund. He was very professional and good experience.

Didn't take any pictures of the throttle body itself because it didn't look any different externally.
Unread 11-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
NJXJ91
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Very organized, I like it. Get some updated pictures
NJXJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

4/20/2013:
Price: $240 for fans, $50 for the controller and do it yourself wire harness. probably $20 in other wire and connections.
I replaced my stock mechanical fan and efan with the DirtBound Offroad efan set up. Fan Kit Looking online they have changed quite a bit and the prices are much higher. I also got the Fan Control and wire yourself kit for the 2 stage set up.
Install:
As usual I had some difficulty with the wiring. I have been meaning to clean it up, but I have been lazy.

Removing the mechanical fan was easy enough, and they provided the shorter bolts to replace the studs that hold it.

Everything came separate and I had to assemble the fans onto the shroud. You have to take a few parts off of the front clip to secure the shroud mounts. This was really easy so no problem. You then use some self tapping screws to secure it on the bottom of the shroud.

I had to call DirtBound a time or two during the install for electrical questions, but I got it all figured out eventually.
I had to splice the fan controller into the upper heater hose which was not a problem, but I do advise that you wait until your engine is on the cooler side.

Review:
The cooling with these fans is fantastic. Not needed for higher speeds, but when moving slow they never let the jeep get hot.
After about a week I noticed a grinding noise when accelerating and when I looked under the hood i could see that the old mechanical fan mount was digging into the back of the fans. The problem was that the screws that hold the fans onto the shroud did not stay secure and backed themselves out in combination with my worn out motor mounts.
Of course this was not realized until after a fan had came completely loose and fan against my engine and broke to pieces.

I was able to work with DirtBound and the provided a replacement fan and missing hardware. I used Loctite on every screw and it hasn't been a problem since. I have also replaced my motor mounts to stop it from contacting, but that will be a later post, actually next post. I don't have any pictures of the install or before, but here is what I have taken of them installed.

Controller

Relays
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

4/26/2013
Price: $20
From my experience with the fans I knew I needed motor mounts and decided to do the transmission mount at the same time. I had ordered both, but the transmission mount got here earlier. I ordered through RockAuto.com and the install is super simple. Support your transmission and transfer case, drop crossmember, unbolt the mount and then reverse it with the new mount. I don't have any pictures of this install.

Review:
The mount I took out was still pretty solid, so I kept it to give to my dad whos mount feel like chewing gum. I didn't notice any significant difference, but it was nice to know that it was taken care of.

5/15/2013
Price: $60
I decided to go with Brown Dog motor mounts because all of my research eventually pointed there. I am very glad that I did.
They were back ordered so that was frustrating, but they build quality parts and once it was shipped arrived quickly.
The instructions provided were very clear and there are many write ups on motor mounts so I did not do one. I went with the rubber instead of the poly to keep vibrations to a minimum.

Review:
The motor doesn't move. At all. It feels really solid and it has been a fantastic upgrade. At first the vibration at idle was annoying, but after about month I either didn't notice it or they broke in and smoothed out.

Unread 11-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #13
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

7/12/2013:
Price: $40 total after the core charge was returned. Plus brake fluid.
I had noticed it a bit before, but when I was replacing my front brake pads I noticed that the pistons in both of my front calipers were cracking and chipped. I am pretty sure it is steel, but it looks like it was made of stone with the way it was breaking. I didn't take any pictures and I returned them for the core charge.
I have learned that brakes are one thing you don't compromise on so I replaced them when I realized that it was problem. It was really easy to replace them and after torquing appropriately and bleeding I didn't have any problems.

I want to paint them red, but I have not gotten around to cleaning them well enough for paint after I first installed them.
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #14
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

6/16/2013
Trip Report
I took my father and puppy up American Fork Canyon for an early birthday present to him. We were going to try Forest Lake, but there was already a large group heading up there and we didn't know if we could make it in my stock XJ with no recovery points.
Mineral Basin was also out due to the fact that I have no recovery points at stock height.

We found a road that looked promising and we just drove. We took each possible turn off then continued till there was no road left.
It was really quite fun, and I got to take some pictures since I let my dad drive most of the time.
Map of the route.

Unread 11-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #15
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

7/27/2013
It is time to talk lift. For a long time my final goal was 6.5 on 33s. I was going to wait until I was ready to purchase the entire kit, but i kept spending my money on other things. I will talk about my final lift plan later, but I made up my mind to start off small and then go up later.
I will be honest, I was kind of terrified of steering issues, death wobble and driveline vibrations so I wanted to stay small. I first wanted to do the 1.5 inch OME(Old Man Emu) lift shown by Quadratec, but Dirk(i think) from DPG Offroad advised that the kit doesn't really exist and he seems to the be authority on OME lifts for Jeeps.
I decided to just build my own since it would only be temporary. So below is my first parts list.
Teraflex .75in coil spacers - $44/set
OEM HD leaf springs - $200/set
Set of 4 bushings for the leaf springs - $30/all 4

I ordered everything through Quadratec because the prices were competitive and the shipping is free for forum members.
The coil spacers were pretty straight forward.
Support the vehicle appropriately, remove tires, compress the coils with the rented coil compressors, pop in the new spacers. It may take some finagling to get the coils out/in, but it isn't too hard. I decided to leave the original coil isolator in to gain 1.5 inches from the Teraflex spacer.

The rear was a more significant pain. Every bolt was pretty much seized. The problem was that I was doing this on a Saturday evening and Sunday so there were no stores to get new hardware if I broke the bolts. So I actually had to use a floor jack under the 1/2 inch wrench to break most of them loose. Yes, I did buy an impact set from Lowes a while ago, but it still couldn't break the bolts loose.
After I got those loose I was able to easily remove the old leafs which where S shaped and inverted when sitting still. The new springs were the exact same dimensions as the old springs when not under load. This was pretty concerning, but after getting them installed and everything bolted back up the HD spring rate and the fact that they are not 14 years old lifted my about 3 inches from stock. I did want to mention that installing the bushings was a breeze since I had previously purchased a 12 ton shop press from Harbor Freight when I was replacing worn u-bolts.

Review:
The front clunks much more than it used to. It feels like i left the sway bar disconnected(which I didn't). There was no death wobble at first, but it began shortly after on my way to Mirror Lake for a camping trip. The rear felt fine, but was a bit more stiff because my shackles were still vertical and the bushings were seized and so it was quite harsh.
I decided that I need to only have one spacer/coil isolator in the front for stability and that I needed new shocks ASAP. I also began more extensive research on how to deal with the death wobble.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.