'99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > '99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 09-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #106
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm heading out to de-virginize it this Saturday, so I should get some decent pics then. Not very many good places to take pics in the city unfortunately.

No lockers yet, then again I've never really been in a situation where I've felt they were necessary. It's mostly mud and trees out here, picking the right line is more important than anything, although my new 4.56 gears should help. My YJ was a manual with 3.07's and even with that I rarely had any problems.

Oh yeah, the very first thing I put in was a Viper 2-way alarm with a motion sensor and remote start. I also just had Lojack with early warning system (unauthorized movement without keyfob nearby calls/pages/txts/emails you) installed. I'd still like to get a killswitch or immobilizer wired in though.

Driveway pose:

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #107
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well, took it out Saturday and it did great. The new gears definitely helped in a few spots where I normally lose traction and spin. Only problem was the fenders...did some rubbing. I guess I need a little more lift, maybe 1" or so. I'm thinking shackle relocation brackets for the rear and a quick ACOS adjustment for the front.

Didn't manage to get very many pics of the XJ unfortunately. It was hot and dusty and blah and I hated getting out for anything other than a piss break.

Almost got to use the winch. A D90 flopped (as it was being winched over a rock) on the very last turn of a long uphill trail and since I was bringing up the rear, the CJ was going to tug it forward while I was going to be a directional pull to lower it back onto its wheels. Right after we got everything hooked up, it fell back over on its own (to everyone's surprise) and carried on its way. No real damage other than the passenger fender.

Unread 09-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #108
alexrule123
What's a c-clip?

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
Jeep looks awesome
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #109
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Almost to pretty to wheel......almost
[QUOTE=Driver831;13076990]Say what you want, a Dana 30 held up 53"s for a good while[/QUOTE]

My 3" to 4.5" to full width build-> [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/brookhart63-build-thread-1224726/[/url]
Brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #110
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

PhilipJ, kudos on the awesome build. I would love to play around with a 97+ XJ 4WD sometime before the decade is up (and being a broke college student, that's not much time in financial figures. :P ). I've already had my fun with ZJs and MJs, and I'm currently working on two street-only 2WD XJs.

Question: Do you still have the white-face gauges that you installed back in '09? If so, would you be willing to get a pic of those where you can see the whole dash, console, etc.? Like a photo you would take of the interior standing from the outside of the drivers-side door. I'm restoring a horribly abused '98 XJ and I'm considering putting white gauges in it -- the same vinyls that you used -- but I'm not sure how it looks with the rest of the dash, and I can't seem to find anyone else who has installed these.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, but in any case, awesome job with the rig. Now, if only 4WD XJs were more common around the gulf coast...

'96 XJ Country (pearl white) 2WD, 4.0L HO I6, AW4. Daily driver.
'98 XJ Classic (moss green) 2WD, 4.0L HO I6, AW4. Restoration project.

Gone, but not forgotten: '88 MJ Pioneer, '94 ZJ Limited, '85 CJ7, '98 ZJ Limited

Blue Jeep Club Member #113

How to install an RB1 w/ working nav into a '97-'01 XJ!
Country Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #111
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks. It's just about 'done'...only waiting for the AJ's rear bumper and Dirtbound's e-fans to come in (installing a new radiator, hoses and thermostat along with it). I'll probably wait until next month after my buddy moves into his new house so I can use his shop.

I still have the vinyls. I got them mostly because of the dark overcast days we have here -- the stock ones can be tough to see in some conditions, even with the lights on. And at night, the LED's are soft yet just bright enough that they aren't overpowering or distracting. I'm considering painting the center bezel a light silver color, just to break up all of the grey.
dsc00769.jpg   dsc00770.jpg  

Unread 09-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #112
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Still looking great Phillip.

I might be in T Town the weekend after next. Depends on if mom comes up here or not? If I am, first pint is on me!

I still need to order some of those white gauges, I really like that look, nice and bright. For the center stack, get a wood-grain one out of a LTD...they look great!

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #113
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the photos of the gauges. And I'm glad to hear that about the LED's too. I'm assuming they can't be dimmed with the light switch, as they require a certain consistent voltage? In any case, if the ones you use are not overpowering, then I might also invest in those; they do look good. I have to dim mine in the '96 often, mostly because every other bloody light in the dash is white as well.

'96 XJ Country (pearl white) 2WD, 4.0L HO I6, AW4. Daily driver.
'98 XJ Classic (moss green) 2WD, 4.0L HO I6, AW4. Restoration project.

Gone, but not forgotten: '88 MJ Pioneer, '94 ZJ Limited, '85 CJ7, '98 ZJ Limited

Blue Jeep Club Member #113

How to install an RB1 w/ working nav into a '97-'01 XJ!
Country Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #114
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
Still looking great Phillip.

I might be in T Town the weekend after next. Depends on if mom comes up here or not? If I am, first pint is on me!

I still need to order some of those white gauges, I really like that look, nice and bright. For the center stack, get a wood-grain one out of a LTD...they look great!

Thanks! That'd be great if you made it down here, I could see that shiny red XJ up close over some beers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Jeep View Post
Thanks for the photos of the gauges. And I'm glad to hear that about the LED's too. I'm assuming they can't be dimmed with the light switch, as they require a certain consistent voltage? In any case, if the ones you use are not overpowering, then I might also invest in those; they do look good. I have to dim mine in the '96 often, mostly because every other bloody light in the dash is white as well.
No problem. I don't remember what LED's I got other than that they were 3-LED type, but yeah, the brightness isn't very controllable. Twisting the knob fully just barely makes a noticeable change. I think I got everything from superbrightleds.com but the site looks way different now, maybe they updated it.

Kind of funny, I must have got a little bit of model paint on the bottom of the speedo needle because on really hot days, it sometimes sticks to the stop peg. Like movie magic, tapping on the plastic a few times breaks it loose.

A little bloomy because of the auto exposure, but this is pretty close to what it actually looks like except you can see a bit more light on the vinyls in person.

Unread 10-02-2011, 12:45 AM   #115
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Simply amazing, ...I've read the whole build, every post from page one..... You certainly ARE doing it right... so big KUDOS to you.
You're doing everything I wish I could've done during my build, but the money I've got coming in just doesn't warrant the level of spending you've got going on!
That being said, your build has given me inspiration. Thanks, and keep up the good work!
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #116
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome man. Didn't know you had a build here.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #117
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
Simply amazing, ...I've read the whole build, every post from page one..... You certainly ARE doing it right... so big KUDOS to you.
You're doing everything I wish I could've done during my build, but the money I've got coming in just doesn't warrant the level of spending you've got going on!
That being said, your build has given me inspiration. Thanks, and keep up the good work!
Thanks!

My only real 'regret' is that I wish I had a slightly taller base lift to work with. The front is easy enough with the ACOS as they have 2.25" of adjustment and the OME coils didn't even budge after putting the bumper and winch on (switching to synthetic line and aluminum hawse saved over 40 lbs). Now that I have the long arms, the only limiting factor is the down-travel of the shocks, and I'm definitely going to need to find some room in the rear or bumpstop the hell out of it. Other than that I'm real happy with how everything turned out.

One last mod session before I'm 'done' for a while (until AJ's rear bumper comes in)...going to wait a few weeks until my buddy moves into his new place so that I can use his shop. The last time I had a Jeep that turned 12 years old heading into winter, the radiator decided to crack and piss coolant, so I'll be taking care of that.

Champion all-aluminum 3 row radiator and Dirtbound Offroad's e-fans with fan controller:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
Awesome man. Didn't know you had a build here.
Yep. It floats to the top from time to time, but only when I do something of any significance. Kind of like when I poop!

Unread 10-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #118
sega2010
1997 XJ Cherokee 

So how big of a lift do you have with your setup? It looks perfect. Gonna try to set my new one up close to this when I get it.
sega2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #119
alexrule123
What's a c-clip?

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post

Champion all-aluminum 3 row radiator and Dirtbound Offroad's e-fans with fan controller:
I have been looking at that fan upgrade for some time now, I wanna know how you like it after you get it installed.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #120
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sega2010 View Post
So how big of a lift do you have with your setup? It looks perfect. Gonna try to set my new one up close to this when I get it.
Tough to say since I trimmed the fenders and put the Bushwackers on; that's the easiest way to measure from the center of the hubs. I have 19.5" to the frame rail and 24" to the bottom of the rear bumper if that helps any.

Totally guesstimating here:
OME ZJ 2934 1" coils (2"-3" on an XJ) + about 1.75" on the ACOS = 4"-4.5"
OME CS034RA 2.25" leafs + 1.5" TnT shackles = 3.75"-4" (hoping some relocation brackets will add the 0.5"-1" extra space I need)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
I have been looking at that fan upgrade for some time now, I wanna know how you like it after you get it installed.
egodfrey just did his, he can probably tell you. I won't have mine done until the end of the month or so -- still have to get new hoses, t-stat and a water pump. May as well do it all at once, because Murphy's Law says any time you replace a cooling system part, another part of it will fail and you'll be digging in there again.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.