'99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > '99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #91
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
Disregard, I'm an idiot. I forgot that the adjuster is reverse-threaded on the rod end. I wish they'd have put a reminder in the instructions. It was still a bear to get threaded though!

I guess I'll finish that up first thing in the morning, then I can drive to the hardware store and get an arbor for the hole saw. And maybe an alignment on the way back...
LOL Well At least you figured it out

2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #92
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Got the IRO all mock-bolted up before it got dark so I wouldn't have any more parts laying around overnight to worry about going missing. Just need to do a rough driveway alignment tomorrow and then creep over to Les Schwab for the experts to fine-tune it.

All in all a very easy install. Drilling the knuckles and pitman went pretty quick with a cheap Irwin bit, so go ahead and spring for the 5/8" hardware if you're wondering about spending the extra $20.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2011, 11:09 PM   #93
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2003 View Post
Ive been thinking bout doing the v8 gc steering upgrade since i work in a jeep junkyard i could get it pretty cheap. id also like to know how the iro kit does. jeep is looking awesome
Thanks! I'll try to get some decent daylight pics here soon. I just realized I haven't taken any with the 33's on yet.

I'd love to be able to find anything usable in a junkyard around here. There's very few XJ's and most of the ZJ's and WJ's have been picked clean...I can't even find freakin' visor retainer clips (sold my overhead console). That and most of the junkyards here are just lakes of mud anyway. To me, time is money and I'll gladly pay for something nice and shiny and new as opposed to driving half an hour to a junkyard that probably won't have a part I want and if it does, I'll have to crawl in the filth for it anyway.

Rear discs would be very nice though, and probably the one thing worth hunting down and ripping off a junker.

Unread 08-29-2011, 01:08 AM   #94
Veeb0rg
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Next time I'm in the pick and pull, I'll try to grab ya some visor clips.
Veeb0rg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 02:05 AM   #95
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Grey, if possible. Or I can just paint 'em. The driver's side is tolerable but the passenger one flops all over and pisses people off. $9+ per clip on ebay is a bit ridiculous (well, the shipping anyway) for a piece of plastic that weighs a few ounces. The only pick-n-pull near me has squat for Jeeps of any model. A few Grands and old-style XJ's picked bare, that's about it.

Next spring I want to cut a 3'x6' hole in the roof and fit a sliding ragtop in, but that's going to require a cage install first. I also want to Raptor-line the floor and throw some heavy mats in...getting tired of vacuuming out the dog fur.

Unread 08-29-2011, 11:27 PM   #96
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well I made a little progress today. Got the holes bored out and all of the belly hardware in and torqued. I was so relieved when all of the crush sleeves sunk flush into the frame; my holes were straight. Still need to tap the front nutserts for the skid, but I'll deal with that once everything else is done.

Passenger side support in:

Driver's side in. I'm going to have to find something to sleeve the fuel and brake lines with for protection from those bolts.

I was just able to get one mount in before it got dark Look at all of that protection though...you can't even see the tranny or t-case!

Unread 08-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #97
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Managed to get one side done today so far. Cutting off the stock lower control arm mounts is kind of a pain with nothing but a 4.5" angle grinder. If you can, try to use a sawzall for this.

Still need to do some cleaning up. This was almost worse than the drilling.

1 disc wasn't enough for just the driver's side

Driver's side arms in

Closer shot of the upper

My wheelbase had shrank several inches from the stock 101.5" due to the lift + factory short arm limitations (still connected here on the passenger side).
There's only about 2" of clearance between the back of the tire and the corner of the fender well

So I had to figure out a way to shift the axle forward (uphill)...backyard ingenuity to the rescue!

And here it is stretched out to around 103". Did I mention doing all of this on a driveway with a 6° slope sucks? At least it's not raining...

Unread 08-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #98
Durt_Diver
2005 LJ Wrangler 

looking at your sig, ive never seen a "slow" build go this fast.

but keep up the GREAT work man

lockers don't work unless you have Rubicon stickers
Durt_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #99
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

done yet? sheesh! I want to know how the IRO steering behaves.
May 2013 COTM
Unread 08-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #100
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ha, I was just thinking about that the other day. Well it was slow until I got some damn money!

I ran out of cutoff wheels to do the passenger bracket, so I stopped for today. I also need some large 1/2" drive sockets to torque down the lower arms and belly skid as well as some spray paint to cover up the bracket cuts. It's nice living withing walking distance of a Harbor Freight. I should have everything installed and torqued down tomorrow; just need to find a flat spot to dial in the pinion angle + caster.

Steering handles great so far, but I've only tested up to 35 MPH in town. Zero bump-steer now and it feels strong and smooth. I just need to adjust the misalignment stops so that the drag link sits up a little more. I know a lot of people think the crossover of the drag link to the knuckle is a bit weird, but it works really well and there's no clearance issues whatsoever. Also, the bends in the tie rod leave tons of room at the pumpkin for even the hugest of diff covers. I'll get some final close-ups of it tomorrow and hopefully a freeway test.

Unread 09-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #101
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Whew. Finally finished! I had to pick up a Sawzall to trim the stock LCA brackets back a little more, but it's a handy tool to have around the house anyway and made short work of that sandwich of sheet metal. I was impressed by the little 12A.

Sorry for the crap pictures, I missed the good daylight. Will take some better ones this weekend; maybe even a few action shots...

Gained about +1" of clearance with the new skid

One tweak I had to make here...during my first test run, the exhaust would vibrate like crazy against the skid cutout while stopped and in D; N was okay though. Under acceleration, the RPM's would center it and cancel it out. So I put the jack under it and gave it some vertical motivation and it's been quiet ever since. You can see the clean spot where it was chattering...ugh what an awful/embarrassing noise at lights! I suspect the exhaust hanger bushing in front of the cat is a little worn out.

Plenty of room between the diff and the new tie rod

Drag link/tie rod clearance. I could probably swing it up a little bit more, but it's not in danger of hitting anything

So far everything seems smoother than it did when I bought it, although I'll probably need new ball joints soon. I'm not sure if they've ever been replaced and the new 33x12.50's on added-backspace rims are probably sealing their fate. Hoping to do those next week and throw in some new 5-760x u-joints as well. The steering is very firm and smooth; turning is a breeze even at low speeds. There's a little more suspension travel over bumps, but that's due to the radius links and they handle it like a champ. Straight tracking, no wandering or bump-steer whatsoever.

Unread 09-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #102
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Cool

1988 Jeep Comanche 4x4 Longbed - POS
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #103
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Nice, glad to hear you like the steering
May 2013 COTM
Unread 09-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #104
Durt_Diver
2005 LJ Wrangler 

now we need pics of the whole beast

lockers don't work unless you have Rubicon stickers
Durt_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #105
cake
2001 XJ Cherokee 

hopefully at one point during all of your installations you threw in a car alarm.

awesome build!

Lockers?
cake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.