'99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > '99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 08-09-2011, 01:36 AM   #61
Veeb0rg
1995 XJ Cherokee 

HEY! I know this jeep..

Veeb0rg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2011, 02:23 AM   #62
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2011, 02:54 AM   #63
Adam
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Philip, great looking xj. I enjoyed reading through your build thread. Awesome progress
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2011, 03:29 AM   #64
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, I'm glad you've enjoyed it. I know I could stand to take some more pics of stuff during installation but I usually can't force myself to slow down once I start something, especially if it's greasy/dirty work and I've got tools everywhere.

I still need to paint the new (plastic) header panel sometime this week. I'm curious to see how this factory-matched spray paint I ordered turns out. The headlight adjusting nuts had to be replaced too, because the old ones kept popping out once they got enough tension and the springs kept pulling the headlights to the ground. I had to cut up and wedge some vacuum tubing behind the bezels to keep them somewhat lined up just to make it home.

The rear Bushwackers should be here this week and the rear bumper w/carrier shouldn't be too far behind. Also, a few surprise upgrades I wasn't expecting to get for a while but I'm finally done with my job so my severance is coming through...stay tuned...

Unread 08-09-2011, 04:09 AM   #65
Adam
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Crawled.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #66
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hey Phil,
Who did you get the factory matched paint from?

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #67
MCObray

One of my favorite builds to read...
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #68
bmac13sv
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Really clean and no corners cut build. Impressive!
Jeep XJ. 3.5" Full spring pack Rusty's suspension. aFe cold air intake. 33x12.5x15" BFG TA KO's on Cragar Soft 8's. 60mm TB. JCR Offroad Stage 3 Front and Rear Bumpers. New 4.0L (victim of 0331 head). aFe cold air intake. Dynomax Catback.
BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/bmacs-2000-xj-build-1292498/
bmac13sv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #69
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac13sv View Post
Really clean and no corners cut build. Impressive!
And to think this all started because I absolutely needed new tires and some barely-used 31's on ebay were cheaper than replacing the 235's...

I had planned on modding it a bit eventually, just not this soon or this rapidly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ
Hey Phil,
Who did you get the factory matched paint from?
http://automotivetouchup.com

I haven't painted the header yet (still need to pick up some prep supplies) but the little paint pen I got for scratches and chips looks close enough to factory. The 12 oz can is way more than I'll need though the more coats I do the better it will turn out. I'll probably hold off until after next week's dusty 4-day trail run on the east side of the state.

Unread 08-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #70
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

4 day trail run... so jealous man.

Thanks for the link, my Dad is looking for some paint to match his Jetta. And yeah, this is a sick build for sure, can't wait to see it in person. Hoping to get to T Town early next month. Was going to try this month, but I have a 4 day camping trip to Lake Cowichan here on the island, then Vegas for VM World (geek fest).

Will look you up in early to mid September... you can show me some local n00b trails.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #71
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sure thing, I'll try to line up some easy trails. If anything we need to get some food and beer in Ruston!

It appears I can't remove the header to paint it without removing the winch, so that might have to wait a while. I might repaint the bumper anyway as the cans of Rustoleum Hammered were spattering quite a bit and it came out pretty flat. In fact, I may just make a day of it and wait until the rear bumper + carrier gets here and do everything at once.

Nothing too crazy this week. Got the rear Bushwacker flares in but I need a new power drill before I can install them; for whatever reason my old Black & Decker one doesn't take a charge any more. I'm going to need a right-angle drill to tackle the long-arm skid install anyway, so I'll probably be picking a new one up at Sears soon. Also made my way out to Northridge 4x4 and picked up some 7/8" ARB shackles but I'll need to bore out the eyelets on the bumper as they are just a fraction too small for the pins.

Did this today:

Unread 08-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #72
K-R
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Philip, so what do you think now of the poly motor mounts? I am about ready to get some and not sure whether to get poly or rubber. Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

I have a 98 with a 3.5" Dirk OME lift and 31's. Closing in on 200K miles.
Unread 08-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #73
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So far they've been great. For the first couple of days they gave off a bit of a 'fast' vibration (though not jarring) but now they feel better than the stock ones did; smoother under load and at idle. I can't imagine how much better the rubber ones would be since the polys are already a great improvement.

Unread 08-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #74
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sadly I couldn't make the 4-day trip as my front end started making all sorts of noises. I'm guessing the stresses of the lift finally caught up to the u-joints and/or ball joints. Not that I was too worried about trail breakage, but I had to be home to sign for a bunch of packages at the end of the week anyway...a new LED TV (my first TV since I bought a 20" Sony back in 1998) and of course, Jeep parts. I was also a bit concerned about taking my dog as I don't know anyone I could trust him with for more than a day and bringing him along would have made him miserable with the heat. I guess I'll need to research some kennels for future multi-day trips, but they're awfully expensive it seems.

Anyway, 4.56's from 4x4groupbuy...also a new Dana 3.73+ carrier and 36-tooth speedo gear from ebay.

What could I be up to?

Unread 08-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #75
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Finally got the rear flares on. Man they make 31's look tiny, ever more so from the front and back as the tires are tucked way inside the fender line. I also have 4" backspaced rims as opposed to 3.75" (which I'm convinced add more strain to the ball joints). I think 33x12.50's will look perfect in there...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.