'99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > '99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #46
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The only bad thing about the 242 is that the parts are becoming more rare, so the $500 kit is actually $900 ($400 core charge). However, sending in any 242 mainshaft or tail housing is worth $200 each. So if you can track down some spares or have another vehicle to drive, sending the parts in first will cut out some of that initial cost.

Just be careful removing the oil slinger from the end of the tail housing; it chips very easily because it's aluminum. I punched a little chunk off the end of mine in the process. Thankfully they let me send the one from the kit back and re-machined my original (free!) to accept a new seal, so I got the full core refund.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #47
sirlasvegas
1998 XJ Cherokee 

This thread is awesome! Great build!
Unread 07-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #48
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Took the XJ on its first real maiden voyage last weekend. I would have had some good video, but stupid me didn't notice that my GoPro was set on 'snapshot' mode instead of 'camera'. So when I hit the start button and heard it beep I thought it was recording 2+ hours of video. All I got was a still shot of the sky from when I was mounting it on the roof.

Oh well, it's a close ORV area and I always run it several times per year. I'll get some video next time and you'll see how rocky, tight and twisty some of the trails here can really be. Or just youtube 'Evans Creek' sometime if you're bored. Meanwhile, here's some carnage:

Oops. Coming up a steep and very tight s-turn, I couldn't see a damn thing in front of me. I thought I would clear the root sticking out, but my mental feelers were still in 'Wrangler' mode (plus I had no spotter since I was the lead). The panel was cracked and pitted to hell anyway and I had enough free ebay bucks to get a new one and some smoked signal lenses to be installed next week. Just need to find some matching paint...or maybe I'll just do it black, even though it'll look weird.

There were lots of pivot turns, but only on the driver side for some reason

And a lot of mean rocks

Unread 07-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #49
jj88jeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
The only bad thing about the 242 is that the parts are becoming more rare, so the $500 kit is actually $900 ($400 core charge). However, sending in any 242 mainshaft or tail housing is worth $200 each. So if you can track down some spares or have another vehicle to drive, sending the parts in first will cut out some of that initial cost.

Just be careful removing the oil slinger from the end of the tail housing; it chips very easily because it's aluminum. I punched a little chunk off the end of mine in the process. Thankfully they let me send the one from the kit back and re-machined my original (free!) to accept a new seal, so I got the full core refund.
Thanks for the heads up! maybe I'll try tracking a spare t-case down for future use.
jj88jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #50
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Finally threw on the front flares today. I haven't ordered the rears yet, that's a whole other animal I'll tackle since I have to cut-n-fold the quarter panels for my bumper anyway.

Despite the massive instructions, the install was pretty easy. Remove old crap, loose fit new mounts and drill a few holes, make some lines, cut, clean, install new mounts and flares.

Before

Cutting

One side done

Other side done

Nice and clean after a much needed bath

Unread 07-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #51
jj88jeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

NICE!!! Really like that style of flare!!!
jj88jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 02:23 AM   #52
rulppa

1992 YJ Wrangler 

This is getting nice, cant wait to see it with new bumpers. I love the flares!
rulppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #53
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

AJ's SlikRok bumper has arrived! Very easy install although there were some tight tolerances, but nothing that couldn't be solved with a little reaming from the power drill. Also mounted the winch and installed C-Rok's power steering box brace.

Frame-side shot

After some prep with the flapper wheel

Welded-through recovery tabs. I don't think these will come out easily.

Underside of the winch plate. The two front mounts have to be done with a wrench as a socket won't fit, I chalk that up as a good theft-deterrent.

Nutserts in the frame rail for lower mounts

New brackets mounted and my ghetto temporary license plate rigging to stay legal

C-Rok brace vs stock (wimpy, wimpy, wimpyyyy)

Boring out stock mounting holes and tapping in crush-sleeves for the brace

All bolted up, synthetic line spooled on tight. Also a new header panel that needs to be painted and smoked-out turn lenses installed.

Unread 08-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #54
Mark-96-XJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

not sure how much i would trust a steering stabiliser

[CENTER][COLOR="Green"]1996 XJ 5 Speed, 100% Herculined, Rough country 4.5, BFG A/T 33's[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR="DarkRed"]2012 Honda Ruckus, Stock for now, 114 MPG, Daily Rider[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/marks-highschool-build-slow-1068542/"][COLOR="Red"]96' Build[/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
Mark-96-XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #55
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I only wrote it that way once as a joke, because that's how it was spelled on the box.

Unread 08-07-2011, 10:54 PM   #56
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

This is an awesome XJ! Great work, cant wait to see it with the rear bumper on too.
Utah Jeep Crew Member #119
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
mg2000xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #57
MagicNelson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

That bumper looks really good!!
MagicNelson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 11:57 PM   #58
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks! I like it, too. It's very sleek and isn't all gaudy like most big-name stuff out there and its quality is just as good if not better. There was a long lead time in waiting for it, but well worth the delay to me.

If anyone's curious, it weighs 72 lbs and I rattle-canned it with Rustoleum Hammered finish.

Unread 08-08-2011, 02:24 AM   #59
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wow lots of progress, very nice!!

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #60
KINGSB
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like a nice build so far!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.