'99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > '99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 12-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #286
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Any progress?

Unread 12-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #287
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Your xj is niiiiiiicccce !!! ... I love the gunmetal blue .... jeep looks great man
Unread 12-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #288
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks.

LOL not much progress lately...I don't have a garage and there's not much to do other than get the rear bumper off so I can put the shackle relocation brackets in. I'll probably be getting an ARB roof rack with the tax return though. Everything else will be pretty much accessories for a while...a few lights, on-board compressor, diff covers, etc. Maybe some rear disc brakes and alloy shafts by the end of spring...to prep for the eventual 35's.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #289
MOBBiN
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I love when this thread pops up.

Great build
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #290
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Just scrolled through this thread real quick. You have a LOT of goodies that I wish I had the cash for. XJ looks great! So, when is the axle swap going to show up on the to-do list?
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #291
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Most of the cash was from my severance at my last job, so I went a little hog wild with it.

Not sure yet if I really need or want to do an axle swap. I will probably move up to 35's eventually, but plan on installing 4340 shafts and upgrading the D30 to 30 spline in the process. Both ends should hold up pretty well then, and I'm fairly easy on the skinny pedal as it is. Both axles will be getting Soild diff covers put on next weekend, and I'm finally going to tackle the shackle relocation brackets to help level out the rear.

Unread 02-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #292
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Which relocation brackets? The HD Offroad boxes were easy to install. I love them and can't wait to see them in action. I'd like to bump up to 35's, but I can't see that being in the budget for quite some time.
Unread 02-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #293
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, the HD ones. I tried to install them once, but the nut for the upper shackle bolt inside the frame rail lost its welds at some point, so I can't install them until I yank the whole rear bumper off or cut into the rail from above. I'm leaning towards cutting, given the number of bolts that are in that bumper.

I probably won't go up to 35's until my 33's are completely worn out, but they still have a ton of life even after almost two years of being daily driven and punished on the trails. Then again I could probably sell them for at least half the cost of a set of 35's. I'd like to get the shafts done and do a disc brake conversion on the 8.25 first anyway.

Unread 02-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #294
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'm in the exact same boat with my 33's. Tons of life left and I love the MTZ's. As much as I want them in the 35" flavor I don't want to pay for them, so I'll probably wait a few more years until these are worn out unless I can afford to buy them without having to sell the 33's first.
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #295
BAR01XJ

What do you think you'll need to do to fit the 35's? I've got a pretty similar build, OME ACOS AAL Shackles, etc, except JKS short arms instead of Y-Links and am about to buy 33's, but if you think you can fit 35's without any more lift ...
BAR01XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #296
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I can fit 35's no problem. Might trim a little more fender. . . Not sure.
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #297
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I know I'm going to need new front springs because having the ACOS adjusted down to compensate for the shortness of the 3" OME coils makes it easy for them to try to fall out under a fair amount of flex. Not sure on the rear yet as I don't have my shackle relocation brackets installed (doing those this weekend.) Not too worried about it right now as I want to do rear discs and chromo shafts first which are way down on the priority list.

Unread 03-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #298
BAR01XJ

OK, I picked up my 33's on ~4" BS rims and I'm installing my flares at night this week. I think I'll still need to push the front axle forward to avoid too much rubbing. I saw you moved yours forward 1.5" or so. Did you have any issues with track bar or steering clearance when you did this? Anything else I need to check when I do it?
BAR01XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #299
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
I know I'm going to need new front springs because having the ACOS adjusted down to compensate for the shortness of the 3" OME coils makes it easy for them to try to fall out under a fair amount of flex. Not sure on the rear yet as I don't have my shackle relocation brackets installed (doing those this weekend.) Not too worried about it right now as I want to do rear discs and chromo shafts first which are way down on the priority list.
Go ahead and just getn ew springs. Those ACOS nned to go!

So just let me know how much you want for them
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #300
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAR01XJ
OK, I picked up my 33's on ~4" BS rims and I'm installing my flares at night this week. I think I'll still need to push the front axle forward to avoid too much rubbing. I saw you moved yours forward 1.5" or so. Did you have any issues with track bar or steering clearance when you did this? Anything else I need to check when I do it?
Actually all I did was adjust the long arms to stock wheelbase length, 101.5" or whatever it is. I took that pic while the short arms were still connected to give an idea of how much forward clearance is lost in contrast to lift height. I just set it back to stock so I wouldn't have to fight with pinion angle and caster too much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.