'99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > '99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #16
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
Crap... I think I forgot them when I had my Mechanic pop my extended ones in? I will take a look, if I do they are yours.
No worries, I forgot to keep my old ones too. I think I threw them away at work, thinking I'd never need them again. : Worst case I can buy some but they'll just be coming back off once I get the SYE in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijburt
Did you get your 63mm bored throttle body w/brass butterfly done locally?
I actually got it off ebay from a performance shop. They offered a core refund, but in the process of getting one of the stupid torx screws off one of the sensor mounts, I broke a corner of the casting off because it's thin and brittle. Oh well. It's still worth the money! I'm sure there's a local shop that could do it for fairly cheap and you can get the valves from almost anywhere.

PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #17
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Nice build.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 06:51 AM   #18
nijburt
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the pix and info
Unread 03-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #19
xj287
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wow! Def gonna crawl this thread, great start and sorry about the stolen rig! the bored TB make any difference?
Recovery Crew Club #1
Night Crew #254
RED JEEP CLUB #545
1999 XJ 4 door 4.0 4.5in lift 33x12.50 more mods will be listed
1996 ZJ All stock currently debating what lift and how much to trim!
xj287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #20
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks. I feel like this is a pretty meager build compared to most on the forum -- running only 31's for now on stock axles -- but they should be more than adequate enough for most of the trails around here. I could throw on 33's but I really want to regear before that, so maybe in another year or so. Also, doing it this way will allow me to reuse all of the parts to clear the 33's when I'm ready. Getting all of the spendy stuff out of the way right off the bat will help in the long run. All that's left are the SYE and long arms, which I'll have by the end of spring at the latest. Maybe an upgraded tie-rod and drag link, too. So many options there, I still haven't decided which brand to go with.

I noticed quite a difference from the bored TB right away. It feels more efficient, giving slightly more power and throttle response as the powerband increases. The 4.0 really kicks down and pulls hard quickly when it's asked to. Not that it was a slouch before, but it's definitely perceptible and more than I was expecting. No whistle from the valve either, something that seems to plague a lot people with a bored TB. I still need to pair it up with a cowl intake and some headers, but I'll probably wait until summer for that.

Hopefully my coils show up this week and I can get this thing lifted and take some pics!
Unread 05-16-2011, 04:36 AM   #21
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So it's been awhile but I finally got the lift on. It took about 8 hours by myself with only standard hand tools, two jackstands, a puny little 2-1/4 ton Craftsman jack and I didn't have sockets big enough for the main leaf and control arm bolts. No major snags or issues other than a stubborn shackle bolt seized into a bushing sleeve.

Initially I took out my 1.75" spacers up front and put in the .75" new ones but forgot to eyeball the result against the rear (which already had 1.5" TnT shackles) so I ended up with a noticeable 2.5 rake. I also had some decent vibration around 50-60 MPH but nothing too terrible. Finally I got bored and decided to put the 1.75's back in with the new .75's (after removing the crusty factory isolators which are incidentally also .75"). So basically I just have 1.75's sitting on top of the new coils which has the XJ sitting at about a 0.5 higher in the front -- should be about perfect once I get the bumpers and winch mounted. Strangely, the vibes also got a lot better with the leveling. I'm guessing this was due to the geometry of the pinion and driveline with having the taller shackles installed. I also have a 1" transfer case drop on, but it's just temporary until I order my SYE and CV shaft from Tom Woods later this week.

The track bar and discos went in fine as well. As I had anticipated, both the track bar and discos were just barely adjustable enough to accommodate the ~3"+ lift I had on before I put the 1.75" spacers back in. This is because I opted for the 4"+ lift versions of both to 'future-proof' when I was ready to move up to 33/35" tires. However, JKS' quicker discos include new lower mounts which require removal of the stock mounts. The originals look like simple Torx bolts, but they are actually splined just below the head and are pressed into the mounting tabs. Even though I knew this ahead of time, I thought I could just soak them in PB and pound them out but it eventually took a puller from AutoZone to bust them out. After have the jaws sliding off all over the place, it was very cathartic to finally see a little separation between the tabs and bolt heads.

Getting the 1.75" spacers back in was a bit of an ordeal. With the control arms disconnected, I couldn't get the axle forward far enough to reconnect the arms. But with the arms connected, the axle couldn't droop low enough to get the coils and spacers in. Being 20 miles away form home at work at 3 AM, my options were limited. Either chalk up a few hours of hard labor as wasted and put the .75's back in or get creative. So I got creative. I used my floor jack and compressed the springs against some steel racks and tied them down with some Harbor Freight nylon utility rope I had laying in my tool box. Surprisingly I didn't die and it was enough to compress the coils to around 12" which went in with ease. After all of the horror stories I've heard about using spring compressors, I had to laugh.

Anyways, as it looked without the 1.75's: (you can see the awkward track bar angle and lack of exposed threads on it and the discos)

New double-shear bracket

Spot the doggy

After putting the 1.75's back in:

Also, I should mention that the OME springs and coils ride very well. We have tons of potholes and irregularities in the roads around here as there's alway some construction going on and the new suspension absorbs almost all of it. Jarring bumps are now a bit more gentle. Time will tell if trail conditions provide the same result.
Unread 05-16-2011, 04:44 AM   #22
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Meanwhile, I wanted to see how much the new 100ft of 3/8" synthetic would spool onto the winch drum. It fits easily, and the amount of weight saved is incredible. Both the 125' steel cable and the roller fairlead weighed in a little over 20 lbs each, so I'll be saving about 45 lbs on the front end.

Notice the dog fur, I plan on yanking the carpet and Monster-lining the interior this summer:

Also, AJ has been working on a new tire carrier design and should have the pics to me sometime this week. Hopefully I'll have his new bumpers mounted by the end of the month.
Unread 05-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #23
biggn235
DAS Man

2005 WK 

Our XJs are so similar in so many ways haha, nice build.

Past - 95YJ 99XJ 98XJ
biggn235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 02:16 AM   #24
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, and nice build also. I get a lot of compliments about the color. Looks like we both started with a lot of the small stuff.

Some funds just showed up in the bank, so I'll be ordering Tom Woods' SYE + CV shaft today. Then once that's installed and I get my core refund, that'll be enough for the TnT Y-link upgrade which I wasn't expecting to be able to get until sometime this summer. Ahead of schedule!
Unread 05-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #25
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

More goodies! Talked to Tom Wood on Tuesday morning, then this showed up today. Awesome service, as expected. Going to pull the whole t-case for install tomorrow; may as well clean it up a bit.

New speedo housing, double-cardan CV shaft and a shortened+resplined NP242 main shaft. No cheap hack-n-tap for me, thanks.
dsc00413.jpg   dsc00414.jpg   dsc00415.jpg   dsc00417.jpg  
Unread 05-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #26
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wow man, looking awesome these days!

I was supposed to come down to T Town this month, but instead my family is coming up here to visit (and bring me all the stuff I ordered in the US and had delivered to her).

When I do get down I will be sure to bring the Jeep and not the Minivan. Maybe you can show me around some trails and some lakes etc.

Loving the lift and the 31's.
Greg

Oh and the Dog in the Snow avatar is classic.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #27
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Looking very good. I love to see it when guys "do things right" using top notch components, OME lift etc, going ahead with an SYE and drive shaft instead of trying to bandaid it. Just good stuff all the way around.

My old ZJ build thread
Previous builds 99-XJ, 98-XJ, 89-XJ, 05-TJ, 95-ZJ, 79-J10
doogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #28
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
When I do get down I will be sure to bring the Jeep and not the Minivan. Maybe you can show me around some trails and some lakes etc.
That'd be fun! I haven't been out in years...still need to 'christen' the XJ, as it were. All I have left now are long arms, hopefully I get those sometime this summer. I could have bought them right off, but in the long run they were the least necessary item, especially for 31's. It already has better gearing, an auto tranny and a more sophisticated front suspension than my YJ did so I'm eager to see how it performs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie
doogie Looking very good. I love to see it when guys "do things right" using top notch components, OME lift etc, going ahead with an SYE and drive shaft instead of trying to bandaid it. Just good stuff all the way around.
Thanks!

I don't know if it's paranoia of stuff breaking on me, but I always try to get the quality stuff and measure it against my budget accordingly. I'd rather pay double for overkill and not have to worry about it as opposed to going the cheap route, maybe getting by for a while and then having some catastrophic failure that causes damage to other parts in the process. I spend many hours scouring links for performance reviews and then several more looking for the best deal.
Unread 05-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #29
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Did the SYE yesterday. I pulled the whole case so that I could clean it up a bit and inspect for leaks as I'd noticed some fluid on the bottom of it. A bit of a chore, but it was worth it and I was able to swap the shafts over in the comfort of my dry basement. Overall it was a very easy job; very straight-forward.

Before:

Case apart (why yes, my workbench is an air hockey table):

Planetaries and needle bearings (and fuzzy collector magnet at the top):

New vs old (about a 4 inch difference minus the yoke):

Case reinstalled:

Pinion angle came out fine (good because I don't want to take the leaves apart to put in shims):

New shaft:

Incredibly smooth now. It's so weird how you get used to the vibes of a lift, it was almost jarring not feeling and hearing that subtle womwomwomwom anymore. I think it feels even better than stock now.
Unread 05-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #30
b16gsr
1996 XJ Cherokee 

looking great

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.