'99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > '99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 09-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #271
dub870
1981 CJ7 

[IMG][/IMG]

Definately a lot of beautiful blue XJ's runnin around here in the PNW! Here is mine and I just saw a similar one and a stock one yesterday. Both blue. I will be rereading your great thread for ideas!
Thanks.

Unread 09-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #272
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeder1 View Post
Whats your front setup consist of?
How do u like the acos, do the threads look strong?
And what bumper is that?
Lol looks good man
It's all listed in my specs, but 3" OME coils, Iron Rock's track bar and their HD over-the-knuckle steering, TnT Customs long-arm upgrade and Bilstein 5150 shocks. ACOS are adjusted to give about 2", so roughly 5" total lift. The threads are very fine and seem perfectly strong, as stated by alexrule123. I think the posts will give before the threads do.

The bumper is from AJ's Offroad Armor, but I thought he was closing up and selling his shop and website. Some people say they've seen him at shows recently though, so maybe he's still doing business. The sliders and rear bumper w/carrier are his, too.

Here's a link to it: http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.com/produ...cat=251&page=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub870 View Post
Definately a lot of beautiful blue XJ's runnin around here in the PNW! Here is mine and I just saw a similar one and a stock one yesterday. Both blue. I will be rereading your great thread for ideas!
Thanks.
I haven't seen too many blue ones, so I get compliments all the time about the color. Yours looks incredibly clean...are you going to keep it that way or put it under the knife?

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #273
Weeder1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ

It's all listed in my specs, but 3" OME coils, Iron Rock's track bar and their HD over-the-knuckle steering, TnT Customs long-arm upgrade and Bilstein 5150 shocks. ACOS are adjusted to give about 2", so roughly 5" total lift. The threads are very fine and seem perfectly strong, as stated by alexrule123. I think the posts will give before the threads do.

The bumper is from AJ's Offroad Armor, but I thought he was closing up and selling his shop and website. Some people say they've seen him at shows recently though, so maybe he's still doing business. The sliders and rear bumper w/carrier are his, too.

Here's a link to it: http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.com/produ...cat=251&page=1
i gotcha, the reason i asked was because on my app for the phone it doesn't let you click the drop down. Nice setup.
Unread 09-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #274
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ah, I think that's a forum bug or something. Sometimes on my PC it won't let me click my own drop-down, but it will let me click others in the same thread. Weird. Usually a refresh fixes it.

I'm pretty happy with the setup. Initially, I couldn't decide what brand/kit I wanted to go with so after doing some research, I just decided to build my own by piecing it together individually with quality components. Just need slightly taller coils and leafs, but I'll probably hold off on that until I'm ready for 35's (the max tire size I want to go.) Still a lot of accessory stuff I want to do first, plus chromoly shafts and rear discs.

Unread 09-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #275
Weeder1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ
Ah, I think that's a forum bug or something. Sometimes on my PC it won't let me click my own drop-down, but it will let me click others in the same thread. Weird. Usually a refresh fixes it.

I'm pretty happy with the setup. Initially, I couldn't decide what brand/kit I wanted to go with so after doing some research, I just decided to build my own by piecing it together individually with quality components. Just need slightly taller coils and leafs, but I'll probably hold off on that until I'm ready for 35's (the max tire size I want to go.) Still a lot of accessory stuff I want to do first, plus chromoly shafts and rear discs.
Yeah prob some small, on my iphone it doesn't even show a drop down to click lol or sigs. So idk lol

Yeah thats what i have noticed I'm doing now, i still need steering and bilstiens, fixing to order iro double sheer so its getting there. I want to be at 4.5-5" when I'm done so acos is what I've been looking at, did u just do a shackle in the rear?
Unread 09-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #276
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

OME leafs + add-a-leaf and TnT 1.5" shackles in the rear. I don't think they sell them separately any more (they were Treks back then,) they only come with kits and they use JKS shackles now. I definitely need a little bit more clearance in the back as it sits lower than the front; I'm hoping HD Offroad's shackle relocation brackets take care of that soon.

Unread 09-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #277
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Oh, and the hood vents work awesome. The temp needle never even touched 210 while on that trail. Not that it was super hot out or anything, but it was cool to see heat just streaming up out of the vents. Having that lunchbox in the front end makes a world of difference, too. I don't think I spun a tire once the entire time. Looking to lock the rear with an ARB, maybe sometime around x-mas...

Unread 09-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #278
dub870
1981 CJ7 

It always happens when I get a new car, I always start to see them on the road! Just saw another blue one yesterday.

I plan on keeping it this way for the most part. It is very clean and I can't see modifying it too much. I am the second owner with only 94k babied miles on her. It has the K&N, Flowmaster and some other little goodies already. The lift is Acos-OME. I have a 8-1/4 rear w 4:10s and posi to go in but have not had time.I think I will have to do a SYE too. I will reread your build thread for some other ideas. I want to do some light wheeling with her but don't want to risk body damage. I didn't buy it for a heavy wheeler, she just fell in my lap for a good price. I have always liked the cherokee and have loved this color.
Unread 10-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #279
roobarb
1998 XJ Cherokee 

you have a very nice jeep. great build thread to read through and get ideas from. I was wondering how well the Iron Rock OTK steering was holding up? Have things started to loosen up yet, or does it still drive straight? Thanks. Again, very nice jeep!
roobarb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #280
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Oh, never noticed that I got a new post in here...thanks! Steering is holding up great, though the clamps on the drag link adjuster need some tightening every once in a while -- or else I just didn't tighten them down enough initially. The bar is so thick that they can't compress against the threads very well to keep it in place. The tie rod hasn't budged at all, it's been solid. Everything still holding up great over a year after installing.

Got some HD Offroad shackle relocation brackets, but I couldn't install them because the shackle nut inside the frame rail on the driver's side came loose somehow. So one of these days when I feel like taking everything off the tire carrier and removing all of those damn bolts holding the bumper on and then taking that off, I'll be able to get in there and keep it from moving so I can get that bolt out. Otherwise, it looks like a pretty mod-less winter coming up aside from mybe a roof rack and some aux lights.

Unread 11-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #281
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like some good things to say about the IRO stuff. I am thinking about a few IRO upgrade bits, good to know they work well.

Was down your way a few weeks ago visiting the fam, meant to give you a shout. Hows things man? Still in the same spot or did you move?

Rack and lights...good call!!

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #282
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Rack and lights sounds good
please no snorkel!
By the way, Your XJ is the cleanest I have ever seen as far as looks!
Unread 11-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #283
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ
Sounds like some good things to say about the IRO stuff. I am thinking about a few IRO upgrade bits, good to know they work well.

Was down your way a few weeks ago visiting the fam, meant to give you a shout. Hows things man? Still in the same spot or did you move?

Rack and lights...good call!!

It's definitely the most affordable OTK kit and built as sturdy as they come. I can't really ever see doing any damage to it, but I try to pick lines with the least amount of resistance.

Yep, still at the same place but hoping to move north a bit within the next couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95
Rack and lights sounds good
please no snorkel!
By the way, Your XJ is the cleanest I have ever seen as far as looks!
Ha, no worries about a snorkel. Not only do they look awful but they wouldn't last long up here between trees on our narrow trails. The cowl intake I installed should be plenty high enough to set my mind at ease about crossing any water...which we'll be getting a lot of here this week. Maybe downtown will flood and I can drive around like that XJ did during Sandy.

The rack and lights will probably have to wait until tax return time, so around Feb/Mar. This month I'll be doing an exciting quick-disconnect mudflap install!

Thanks! She looks pretty clean in pictures but has her share of cosmetic blemishes, mostly little fender and door panel wrinkles that can be easily concealed if I ever want to get around to it. And I still haven't painted the replacement header panel. There is zero motivation for detail projects this time of year.

Unread 11-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #284
jorban
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You still running the browndog mounts? I went back to stock after a month because of the vibes when the ac was on. Damn Florida weather. Maybe when I move out west after I graduate
jorban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #285
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah I'm still running them, the vibes aren't that bad since I took a little torque off the bolts. It's only mildly annoying when idling at a light with the defrost on as it uses the A/C to dry the air first.

The most common mistake with them seems to be over-tightening.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.