'99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > '99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #241
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Got the new Bilstein 5100's on...and the ride is amazing. Everyone raves about the OME's, but I think these are even better. Maybe they're just valved to handle more weight or something (and I've put a couple hundred pounds of steel on) but they're very responsive yet firm at the same time. Plus the zinc coating just looks good in there. For $75 per shock (which is what my OME's came out to with the kit, I think,) I'm extremely impressed. Well, more like $100 because I sold my old SensaTracs for $40 to a guy and should be getting $160 for my OME's.

Also installed the replacement fans from Dirtbound...temps are finally back down to sub-210º and I can use the A/C again! Just in time for the couple of days we'll break 80º or 90º here in the PNW. I also picked up the v2.0 fan shroud from Dirtbound since it was only $40 and I've been working a zillion hours overtime anyway. It's slightly shallower (better fitment for '97+ models) and has separating vanes between the fan holes to prevent pressure drop, making them more direct and efficient. I haven't installed it yet though.

I've also been trying to track down some LeBaron or New Yorker hood vents for months. Online stores, ebay (rare but when I do find them they get sold in bidding wars for $90, no thanks,) craigslist, etc...kind of forgot about them for a while. Perusing craigslist the other night for no reason, I found a guy parting out his XJ and he has LeBaron vents with drip pans! Going to pick those up this weekend and hopefully his HD Engineering shackle relocation brackets if his other buyer falls through. I really need a set to bring the rear up another half inch or so, short of getting new leaf packs or trying to squeeze in another add-a-leaf. Still need to get the rear quarter panel armor on, too.

No broken rear upper bolts, because I'm awesome like that (and I liberally used anti-seize the very first time I ever touched them)

Fronts

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #242
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Hey Man!
Lookin good!
The Bilsteins and the ACOS look real good together up front.... pretty mean!
Time to change that signature now....(still reppin' the OME)
When are you gonna get out and give us some serious flex shots!?!?!?
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 07:14 AM   #243
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Still have the OME coils and leafs, no real reason to upgrade them any time soon. The coils could be a littler taller, but thanks to the ACOS they have the front sitting right at 5". Hoping to get out this weekend, but I don't know if there will be any opportunity for serious flex shots as it's mostly just going to be a scenic road trip (some forest service roads at best.) Actually, I think there's a spot I can do some urban flexing on behind my house...I think I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Unread 08-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #244
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My craigslist score yesterday...I may just clean it up, shoot some clear coat on and bolt it up for a while until I cut the holes (a little closer to center) in my current hood.

Unread 08-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #245
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wow sweet deal man, nice looking hood. I have a set in the garage to install, should have this last week...so hot here.

Jeep is looking great!

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #246
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, it's been pretty toasty here, too. I'm going to try to throw the hood on tomorrow and then head out to the coast for the weekend.

More parts arrived that I need to get installed soon...

This should be easy, I just need to get the right size hole-saw for my drill.

Unread 08-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #247
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

THAT'S A TRIP!!!!!
I've been lookin at that exact same kit (intake) the last few days....
...tryin to make room for a dual bat set-up.
Do me a favor and take a lot of pics along the way during install!!!
Unread 08-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #248
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
THAT'S A TRIP!!!!!
I've been lookin at that exact same kit (intake) the last few days....
...tryin to make room for a dual bat set-up.
Do me a favor and take a lot of pics along the way during install!!!
Me too... for dual batteries as well. Great minds think alike!

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 03:22 AM   #249
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Will do, I'll have it done by Saturday at the latest. I'll probably put a secondary battery where the stock intake is to run all of my accessories off of.

I didn't realize until the tracking number was sent, but THOR is a small local company, so it was on my doorstep in 2 days. So yay for supporting local. The tubes are surprisingly heavy and nicely powder-coated plus the hoses are silicone, not rubber. And you get a nice Green filter. I didn't like how blingy Spectre's cowl intake was, despite it being a bit cheaper.

Unread 08-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #250
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
.....I didn't like how blingy Spectre's cowl intake was, despite it being a bit cheaper.
Yea i'm kind-of "anti-spectre" nowadays.....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...found-1188914/
They've left a bad taste in my mouth, have horrible customer service, and frankly, horrible business ethics. I personally would't support spectre with buying ANY of their products regardless of how well they perform or how inexpoensive they are. Just my $.02 ....
Good choice on the Thor.... I had no idea they are local to us Northwesterners....
Unread 08-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #251
Weeder1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I've been looking at quarter armor lately, how do u like those? Have you put them on yet?
Unread 08-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #252
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Your an inspiration to my XJ and im gonna Subscribe!
Luke95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #253
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Welp, didn't really get anything done because my DeWalt cordless drill gave out while trying to hole-saw through the firewall. It wasn't getting hot, there wasn't any smoke and I didn't smell anything so I don't know wtf. Amazingly I had 2 days left on the warranty so I took it to the service center today. Should be able to finish that up as well as some other stuff at my buddy's place Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeder1 View Post
I've been looking at quarter armor lately, how do u like those? Have you put them on yet?
Haven't put them on yet, but they will be going on this Saturday. Between the flares, flare mounts and interior trim there's a lot of screws to remove and I need someone to hold up the armor while I pilot-mark 11 holes on each side. Once that's done they should install pretty quick though. I'll do a write-up with pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post
Your an inspiration to my XJ and im gonna Subscribe!
Thanks! I'll try to update more as most of the projects ahead are a lot more simple and pic-taking-friendly as opposed to the mechanically-involved stuff that I just want to get done and over with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
Yea i'm kind-of "anti-spectre" nowadays.....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...found-1188914/
They've left a bad taste in my mouth, have horrible customer service, and frankly, horrible business ethics. I personally would't support spectre with buying ANY of their products regardless of how well they perform or how inexpoensive they are. Just my $.02 ....
Good choice on the Thor.... I had no idea they are local to us Northwesterners....
Yeah, I can't believe they designed that the way they did. There's got to be a couple dozen other ways they could have incorporated their precious logo with the product, but why bother with it on a box filter that you'll never see unless you're installing it or removing it?

At least it got you to clean up your IAC though.

Unread 08-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #254
mikeredjeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

And a random driveway shot to see how much I still need to bring up the front end. I couldn't get any consistent measurements to go off of, so I figured around 1"-1.25" via eyeballs.

[/QUOTE]

Jeeps looking good! Hey could you post another side profile picture, like the one above, with both bumpers. I'm looking at getting the same bumpers and am curious to see what it looks like.
mikeredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #255
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sure thing, I'll take some tomorrow as I need to take a few of the other stuff I did this weekend for documentation purposes. Got the cowl intake, hood vents and quarter panel armor on. Only managed to get a few pics of the cowl process though.

Scoping out the area where the cowl is going to be cut into. You'll need to remove the evap purge bracket and trim the right side off where that goofy dimple is as well as push the wiring harness down a bit (I had to clip the zip tie that held it to the cowl.) Also notice that I removed my hood light. It'll smash into the heat shield if you don't relocate it. Fortunately, there's plenty of factory holes along the edge of the hood to do so.

Test fitting the heat shield. It pretty much self-aligns to the shape of the cowl.

Forgest using a hole saw, it's a pain in the *** and they're spendy for the decent 5"+ ones. Just use an angle grinder or a sawzall and make a big square, the heat shield will cover it all anyway. I had to trim a little more at the top to fit the filter in cleanly, it's pretty big.

Everything fit great. Just had to trim down the vent tube. THOR only includes 4 hose clamps, so you'll need an extra one if you want one on the hose that fits the main tube to the throttle body. Not that it really needed it since it's such a tight fit, but I re-used ones of the plastic straps from the stock intake anyway.

And done. Pretty simple job once you get that damn hole cut. Throttle response is a little bit quicker but the biggest difference is the exhaust note at 2500+ RPM. It's much...tighter now, I guess you could say. It sounds like an entirely different system and a lot more aggressive when you put the pedal down. Surprised the hell out of me. There's some minor intake noise now and then (sounds like a vacuum when you're using the crevice tool against a wall,) but it's not very loud and barely noticeable unless I'm trying to listen for it. It's also very intermittent and I don't hear it at all while maintaining speed. I might slap some Dynamat in there at some point when I do the interior, but only to appease potential complaining passengers since it's on their side behind the glove box.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.