'99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache - Page 15 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #211 of 352 Old 03-25-2012, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
PhilipJ
Registered User
 
PhilipJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,544
Well, I got the Lock-Right installed. It was pretty easy and straight-forward up until I broke a bolt when re-torquing the ring gear back on the carrier. Always use new bolts! Thankfully, I was able to back it out with an extractor and a little bit of heat. It's surprising how few hardware stores carry 3/8" Grade 8 with fine threads. Finally found them at Ace but not quite the right length, so I got the slightly longer ones and trimmed them down on a bench grinder.

It's perfectly quiet on pavement except while making slow, sharp turns. I heard it click a few times in a parking lot but that's it. Can't wait to try it on the trails!

PhilipJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 352 Old 03-26-2012, 10:18 AM
GregB_00XJ
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Victoria
Posts: 3,588
Sweet!!

Lockered up.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD 5.7L WK -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline  
post #213 of 352 Old 03-26-2012, 11:14 AM
NW99XJ
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gresham
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
Well, I got the Lock-Right installed. It was pretty easy and straight-forward up until I broke a bolt when re-torquing the ring gear back on the carrier. Always use new bolts! Thankfully, I was able to back it out with an extractor and a little bit of heat. It's surprising how few hardware stores carry 3/8" Grade 8 with fine threads. Finally found them at Ace but not quite the right length, so I got the slightly longer ones and trimmed them down on a bench grinder.

It's perfectly quiet on pavement except while making slow, sharp turns. I heard it click a few times in a parking lot but that's it. Can't wait to try it on the trails!
Well this report has helped me decide which direction to go when it comes time to lock up.... Now, lets see if I can get a deal like YOU did!

5+" of lift, 33's, OTK, Armored, Lighted, Chipped, Winched & Locked up Front.
NW99XJ is offline  
post #214 of 352 Old 03-26-2012, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
PhilipJ
Registered User
 
PhilipJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,544
I was a bit rushed so I didn't manage to get any pics, but since I have new Spicer bolts for the ring gear and a Solid diff cover coming soon, I'll do a mini write-up when they arrive. Now that I know all of the socket sizes and torque specs for every bolt involved, a quick tear down and re-install should be a breeze.
PhilipJ is offline  
post #215 of 352 Old 03-27-2012, 01:02 AM
XabuJr
Registered User
 
XabuJr's Avatar
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Issaquah
Posts: 1,686
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
I was a bit rushed so I didn't manage to get any pics, but since I have new Spicer bolts for the ring gear and a Solid diff cover coming soon, I'll do a mini write-up when they arrive. Now that I know all of the socket sizes and torque specs for every bolt involved, a quick tear down and re-install should be a breeze.
Should be faster than a YJ rear bumper..


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
XabuJr is offline  
post #216 of 352 Old 03-27-2012, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
PhilipJ
Registered User
 
PhilipJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,544
You should probably PB every single bolt on that thing that you plan on touching in the near future. At least the ones you broke were mostly non-essential to needing to withstand any sort of deflection. Welding those tabs right to the cross member would probably be just as strong.
PhilipJ is offline  
post #217 of 352 Old 04-21-2012, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
PhilipJ
Registered User
 
PhilipJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,544
Been pretty slow lately (unemployment for a while) but I just landed a new job so hopefully I get some more goodies rolling in soon.

Replaced the thermostat the other day because my temps were creeping up to just a hair over 210 and it never gets that high. I think the factory one was still in there as it had the Chrysler logo and the old gasket had somehow bonded to the metal at a molecular level. A new 195-degree Stant Superstat dropped it to right around 205. Also picked up ORO's LED LitePlate which I hope to get installed this weekend.

Did this today since it was so nice out...Spicer 5-760x u-joint replacements. I think the old 297's were factory as well. You know it's bad when you take half the caps off and there's no needle bearings. Strangely, I never noticed any major clunking or anything.



I know the upper boot is torn, I ordered replacements but they're too short.
PhilipJ is offline  
post #218 of 352 Old 04-21-2012, 07:51 PM
alexrule123
Registered User
 
alexrule123's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 7,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
You know it's bad when you take half the caps off and there's no needle bearings. Strangely, I never noticed any major clunking or anything.
Mine were the same way, lots of rust dust but not so many needle bearings

Quote:
The great thing about UDP jokes is no one cares if you get them or not.
2001 Cherokee Limited:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alexrule123 is offline  
post #219 of 352 Old 05-04-2012, 03:55 AM
GregB_00XJ
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Victoria
Posts: 3,588
Congrats on the job man! You staying put in T-Town for now, or headed up closer to my neck of the woods as discussed when I was down there? Jeep is sounding like it should be running pretty schweet right now!!

I think mine needs U Joints too, mine look old and sketchy.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD 5.7L WK -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline  
post #220 of 352 Old 05-04-2012, 04:39 AM
robd2003
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vincennes, IN
Posts: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
Been pretty slow lately (unemployment for a while) but I just landed a new job so hopefully I get some more goodies rolling in soon.

Replaced the thermostat the other day because my temps were creeping up to just a hair over 210 and it never gets that high. I think the factory one was still in there as it had the Chrysler logo and the old gasket had somehow bonded to the metal at a molecular level. A new 195-degree Stant Superstat dropped it to right around 205. Also picked up ORO's LED LitePlate which I hope to get installed this weekend.

Did this today since it was so nice out...Spicer 5-760x u-joint replacements. I think the old 297's were factory as well. You know it's bad when you take half the caps off and there's no needle bearings. Strangely, I never noticed any major clunking or anything.



I know the upper boot is torn, I ordered replacements but they're too short.
I take it you went to a larger ujoint on the axle shafts?

Jeeps:
99' XJ<->5.5" Lift; 35's; SYE; Winch; much more goodies too
02' WJ<->Rebuilt from wreck, still stock
robd2003 is offline  
post #221 of 352 Old 05-04-2012, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
PhilipJ
Registered User
 
PhilipJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
Congrats on the job man! You staying put in T-Town for now, or headed up closer to my neck of the woods as discussed when I was down there? Jeep is sounding like it should be running pretty schweet right now!!

I think mine needs U Joints too, mine look old and sketchy.
Thanks. I'm working just down the road at Weyerhaeuser. The type of work is nearly identical to what I did with steel, except with lumber and some occasional rebar or meshing. Tons of overtime opportunity, which I haven't had in forever. I'll probably be staying put for a little while until I figure out where exactly I want to relocate to. Definitely somewhere north and/or east of Seattle though, and hopefully with the chance of relocating within the company.

Jeep is running great, but my temp still creeps up just over 210 and drops back down once in a while even though its new nominal range after the t-stat replacement keeps it at 200-205. I'm guessing it's the water pump which is the factory unit, so it's up next for replacement soon. Pep Boys has a nice Bosch unit for $38.


Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2003 View Post
I take it you went to a larger ujoint on the axle shafts?
They're actually about the same size, but the 760's are cold-forged instead of hot-forged like the 297's, so they are definitely stronger over the life of the joint. The only drawback is that they aren't greasable, but I don't play around in the soupy mud or water too much anyway. If they can hold up half as long as the stock ones did (until I get chromoly shafts) I'll be happy.
PhilipJ is offline  
post #222 of 352 Old 05-04-2012, 09:54 AM
GregB_00XJ
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Victoria
Posts: 3,588
Sounds like a good place to land man. Congrats again.

I hear that the greasable U Joints are not as strong as the non ones are?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD 5.7L WK -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline  
post #223 of 352 Old 05-04-2012, 02:02 PM
robd2003
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vincennes, IN
Posts: 1,340
Ahh okay, i just got a 99 xj on 35's in trade and 200$ so im looking at the small things to actually help hold up to 35's. it came with a HP30/C8.25 combo

Jeeps:
99' XJ<->5.5" Lift; 35's; SYE; Winch; much more goodies too
02' WJ<->Rebuilt from wreck, still stock
robd2003 is offline  
post #224 of 352 Old 05-28-2012, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
PhilipJ
Registered User
 
PhilipJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,544


PhilipJ is offline  
post #225 of 352 Old 05-28-2012, 07:43 PM
GregB_00XJ
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Victoria
Posts: 3,588
^ that blows goats.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD 5.7L WK -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
My 98 Sport Build Thread broncofire75 XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 263 11-30-2012 10:44 PM
Jeep450r's 1996 Sport Build Thread Jeep450r XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 20 02-14-2012 04:16 PM
My build thread. My attempt on a SAFE build on a budget. xyimmyx XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 46 06-09-2011 02:50 PM
1993 Cherokee Sport Build Thread...kinda Jcool XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 0 03-07-2011 12:09 AM
XJ HAULIN' Pictures !! ATS XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 8 10-10-2004 09:11 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome