'99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > '99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #211
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I got the Lock-Right installed. It was pretty easy and straight-forward up until I broke a bolt when re-torquing the ring gear back on the carrier. Always use new bolts! Thankfully, I was able to back it out with an extractor and a little bit of heat. It's surprising how few hardware stores carry 3/8" Grade 8 with fine threads. Finally found them at Ace but not quite the right length, so I got the slightly longer ones and trimmed them down on a bench grinder.

It's perfectly quiet on pavement except while making slow, sharp turns. I heard it click a few times in a parking lot but that's it. Can't wait to try it on the trails!

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #212
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet!!

Lockered up.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #213
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
Well, I got the Lock-Right installed. It was pretty easy and straight-forward up until I broke a bolt when re-torquing the ring gear back on the carrier. Always use new bolts! Thankfully, I was able to back it out with an extractor and a little bit of heat. It's surprising how few hardware stores carry 3/8" Grade 8 with fine threads. Finally found them at Ace but not quite the right length, so I got the slightly longer ones and trimmed them down on a bench grinder.

It's perfectly quiet on pavement except while making slow, sharp turns. I heard it click a few times in a parking lot but that's it. Can't wait to try it on the trails!
Well this report has helped me decide which direction to go when it comes time to lock up.... Now, lets see if I can get a deal like YOU did!
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #214
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I was a bit rushed so I didn't manage to get any pics, but since I have new Spicer bolts for the ring gear and a Solid diff cover coming soon, I'll do a mini write-up when they arrive. Now that I know all of the socket sizes and torque specs for every bolt involved, a quick tear down and re-install should be a breeze.

Unread 03-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #215
XabuJr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I was a bit rushed so I didn't manage to get any pics, but since I have new Spicer bolts for the ring gear and a Solid diff cover coming soon, I'll do a mini write-up when they arrive. Now that I know all of the socket sizes and torque specs for every bolt involved, a quick tear down and re-install should be a breeze.
Should be faster than a YJ rear bumper..

'88 YJ, 33's, auto, 4.2L. Many pieces waiting to be put in!
XabuJr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #216
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You should probably PB every single bolt on that thing that you plan on touching in the near future. At least the ones you broke were mostly non-essential to needing to withstand any sort of deflection. Welding those tabs right to the cross member would probably be just as strong.

Unread 04-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #217
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Been pretty slow lately (unemployment for a while) but I just landed a new job so hopefully I get some more goodies rolling in soon.

Replaced the thermostat the other day because my temps were creeping up to just a hair over 210 and it never gets that high. I think the factory one was still in there as it had the Chrysler logo and the old gasket had somehow bonded to the metal at a molecular level. A new 195-degree Stant Superstat dropped it to right around 205. Also picked up ORO's LED LitePlate which I hope to get installed this weekend.

Did this today since it was so nice out...Spicer 5-760x u-joint replacements. I think the old 297's were factory as well. You know it's bad when you take half the caps off and there's no needle bearings. Strangely, I never noticed any major clunking or anything.

I know the upper boot is torn, I ordered replacements but they're too short.

Unread 04-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #218
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
You know it's bad when you take half the caps off and there's no needle bearings. Strangely, I never noticed any major clunking or anything.
Mine were the same way, lots of rust dust but not so many needle bearings
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 02:55 AM   #219
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Congrats on the job man! You staying put in T-Town for now, or headed up closer to my neck of the woods as discussed when I was down there? Jeep is sounding like it should be running pretty schweet right now!!

I think mine needs U Joints too, mine look old and sketchy.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 05-04-2012, 03:39 AM   #220
robd2003
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Been pretty slow lately (unemployment for a while) but I just landed a new job so hopefully I get some more goodies rolling in soon.

Replaced the thermostat the other day because my temps were creeping up to just a hair over 210 and it never gets that high. I think the factory one was still in there as it had the Chrysler logo and the old gasket had somehow bonded to the metal at a molecular level. A new 195-degree Stant Superstat dropped it to right around 205. Also picked up ORO's LED LitePlate which I hope to get installed this weekend.

Did this today since it was so nice out...Spicer 5-760x u-joint replacements. I think the old 297's were factory as well. You know it's bad when you take half the caps off and there's no needle bearings. Strangely, I never noticed any major clunking or anything.

I know the upper boot is torn, I ordered replacements but they're too short.
I take it you went to a larger ujoint on the axle shafts?
robd2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #221
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
Congrats on the job man! You staying put in T-Town for now, or headed up closer to my neck of the woods as discussed when I was down there? Jeep is sounding like it should be running pretty schweet right now!!

I think mine needs U Joints too, mine look old and sketchy.
Thanks. I'm working just down the road at Weyerhaeuser. The type of work is nearly identical to what I did with steel, except with lumber and some occasional rebar or meshing. Tons of overtime opportunity, which I haven't had in forever. I'll probably be staying put for a little while until I figure out where exactly I want to relocate to. Definitely somewhere north and/or east of Seattle though, and hopefully with the chance of relocating within the company.

Jeep is running great, but my temp still creeps up just over 210 and drops back down once in a while even though its new nominal range after the t-stat replacement keeps it at 200-205. I'm guessing it's the water pump which is the factory unit, so it's up next for replacement soon. Pep Boys has a nice Bosch unit for $38.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2003 View Post
I take it you went to a larger ujoint on the axle shafts?
They're actually about the same size, but the 760's are cold-forged instead of hot-forged like the 297's, so they are definitely stronger over the life of the joint. The only drawback is that they aren't greasable, but I don't play around in the soupy mud or water too much anyway. If they can hold up half as long as the stock ones did (until I get chromoly shafts) I'll be happy.

Unread 05-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #222
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like a good place to land man. Congrats again.

I hear that the greasable U Joints are not as strong as the non ones are?

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 05-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #223
robd2003
2002 WJ 

Ahh okay, i just got a 99 xj on 35's in trade and 200$ so im looking at the small things to actually help hold up to 35's. it came with a HP30/C8.25 combo
robd2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #224
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Unread 05-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #225
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

^ that blows goats.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.