'99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > '99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 03-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #196
jeepeexj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wow what a nice jeep. Looks dang good!

jeepeexj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #197
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks. I really like the front bumper, too...might be may favorite mod so far. It's functional, protection and aesthetic all in one.

Got this in the mail today (thanks, rulppa!) Can't beat the low cost of free. Just letting it soak a little bit so I can get the surface rust off before popping it in the front axle...hopefully in the next few weeks.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #198
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looking amazingly good man!! I cant wait to see it this weekend... if you will be around? I really like the way that rear carrier looks with the Jerry Can holder as well. I need one of those.

Nice work!!

edit: You beat me to the post... sorry, you said a free locker? As in sans cost...no charge...gratis? Wow!!

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #199
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'll be around except Saturday morning/afternoon; going to try and hit some trails that day. The only thing about the carrier is that because the base is full-width and with the stopper hole in the location that it's in, it has to swing out past 90 to lock. Not really a huge deal unless you're in an angled parking lot or next to a longer rig, just something to keep in mind. I never really use the hatch in town unless I'm loading/unloading the dog anyway. Then again the Warn carrier on my YJ didn't have a locking stop at all.

Yep, a free Richmond Lock-Right D30 locker. Well, I did a lot of 'special exporting' of Jeep parts to Finland, kind of like your front skid to Canada.

Going to try to get it in there this week before the run on Saturday...maybe do a little write-up on it.

I did do something recently...installed visor clips! Ever since I sold my overhead console my visors have been all over the place (didn't really think about it when I sold it) so I finally grabbed some out a Chrysler minivan in a junkyard. I guess now I'll have to get some new headliner material to cover up the holes where the OHC mounts were.

Wheeeeeeeee

Unread 03-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #200
GtiKyle
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
I'll be around except Saturday morning/afternoon; going to try and hit some trails that day. The only thing about the carrier is that because the base is full-width and with the stopper hole in the location that it's in, it has to swing out past 90 to lock. Not really a huge deal unless you're in an angled parking lot or next to a longer rig, just something to keep in mind. I never really use the hatch in town unless I'm loading/unloading the dog anyway. Then again the Warn carrier on my YJ didn't have a locking stop at all.

Yep, a free Richmond Lock-Right D30 locker. Well, I did a lot of 'special exporting' of Jeep parts to Finland, kind of like your front skid to Canada.

Going to try to get it in there this week before the run on Saturday...maybe do a little write-up on it.

Where are you headed this weekend ?
Unread 03-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #201
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Walker Valley, I invited myself over in the WA/Bellingham thread.

Unread 03-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #202
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Crap now I need a front locker. Anyone want to give me one?
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #203
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I'll be around except Saturday morning/afternoon; going to try and hit some trails that day.
Kool man, might even head on down Thursday night...either that or Early Friday AM? Yet TBD.

Quote:
Sweet deals!!

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #204
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Free Traction?!?!?!? UUUUUGH!!! Whats this world coming to?!?!?!?!
Congrats on the Freebie man! thats one helluva score!
'would be pretty cool if you had it in b4 this weekend. I'd be interested to hear your report on offroad manners with just a front locker.
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #205
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked to have a little traction help. Going from a YJ with 3.07's and a manual to an auto with 4.56's has already felt like an amazing improvement, so I can't wait to see what some locking action in the front will do. Especially on those off-camber hill climbs with uneven ruts or the occasional smooth rock with mud all over it.

I really want to install it this week but we've had hail, snow and rain without the temp even creeping above 40. Hell, the thing is dead simple to take apart. Just the roll pin, cross pin then remove the springs/pins and it came right out. It's going to be the removing of the tie rod, tires, brake calipers, diff cover, axle shafts, ring gear and all of that crap (and re-installing it all) that's going to make it take forever. Maybe if I can borrow someone's garage Friday night...

Unread 03-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #206
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

On my way down the I5 last evening I got sun, rain, hail, HUGE rain...you name it. Was awful, but still made good time.

I hear you on the garage. I have many projects for the XJ and trailer either on hold or half way done because I have no space to work in.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 03-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #207
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

At least you made it down before the Friday afternoon rush.

Not that I mind crappy weather all that much, but being that the XJ is my only vehicle for now, it sucks to have it undriveable for more than a day while I'm doing something to it and bad weather is just a huge demotivator. Fortunately O'Reillys and Auto Zone are only a 10 minute walk if I need something important.

It's actually kind of sunny right now...I might have to go do some interior detailing*!

*dog fur and drool removal

Unread 03-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #208
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Traffic was great...at 8 PM on Thursday, which was exactly why I wanted to drive on Thursday and NOT Friday (having been stuck in traffic in Seattle far too many times).

Yesterday was a good day, on and off. Today, not so much! Ugh...hope the wheeling trip is good. Give me a call when you get back...we can grab a beer.
Greg

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 03-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #209
XabuJr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Maybe if I can borrow someone's garage Friday night...
You should have said something the other night when we were on Xbox.. I wouldn't have been able to help, but you could have used the garage still.. I didn't see the thread until today..

'88 YJ, 33's, auto, 4.2L. Many pieces waiting to be put in!
XabuJr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #210
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Oh I could have just done it at home if I really wanted to, but I started messing around with the coil spacers on Friday to level out the front and didn't finish adjusting everything else until Saturday afternoon anyway. Plus I got the interior pretty much immaculate and consolidated my toolbox.

I'll stop by and do it one of these Saturdays, maybe tackle the CB and fan rewiring as well...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.