'99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > '99 Sport Build Thread: Grocery Haulin' With Panache

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #166
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
Looking good Phillip.

I will be in T Town again soon for a visit with Mom. Would be great to meet up this time! Will give you a heads up and maybe we can make it work?

LOVE the fans.
Definitely.

I'm not real busy on the weekends other than being in Seattle for a couple of hours on Saturday afternoons for my flag football league. I'm usually back in town by 4-ish.

The fans have been great. On average they keep the temp a few degrees cooler than the stock setup; right around 205 or so. Also picked up a new B&M stacked plate trans cooler; I roughed up the Hayden one in the process of the fan install. I didn't really like how it mounted anyway, this one I can bolt straight to the header without having to zip-tie through the radiator (making future radiator work a lot easier.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
I used the OME AAL in my OME pack and it netted 1" and it has stayed that way for over 6 months.
Good to know. I just torqued everything down and took it for a spin...it feels a lot more firm and stable in the back now. I really like how it rides. I can only imagine it'll be even better with 130 lbs of bumper giving it a little pre-load.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #167
GtiKyle
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm tagging along for a snow wheeling trip Saturday morning if your interested, up near Lonesome Lake. Hit me up if your interested in going.
Unread 02-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #168
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'd love to, but Saturday I have flag football and then afterwards the bumper is going on. Got it prepped and painted last Saturday (but no pics of the progress.)

And a random driveway shot to see how much I still need to bring up the front end. I couldn't get any consistent measurements to go off of, so I figured around 1"-1.25" via eyeballs.

Unread 02-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #169
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Finally got the rear bumper (AJ's Tanker w/tire carrier) on this weekend. Ran into a bit of a problem while removing the gas tank skid bolts. The very last one on the driver's side (closest to the front) snapped off leaving most of it still exposed above the nut strip. This wouldn't have been a problem on the passenger side, but the fuel hoses run over the top on the driver's side and there's a little bridge of metal welded over the channel. The damn bolt was too tall and couldn't slide under it, so after trying a million different things, we finally dremeled the welds, pried up the plates a little and zipped off the top of the bolt with my angle grinder.

Everything else went pretty easy, except I can't reuse my stock gas tank skid. Its mounting 'rails' are too wide and interfere with the bumper's strengthened 'L'-shaped guide rails, (as you can see in the pictures of my previous post) so unless I trim the hell out of the skid's rails (too much effort) it's not going back on. I've been thinking about getting an aftermarket one anyway, so win/win. Stock skid for sale!

Just a few teasers until I get everything cleaned up a bit...

Timken tapered roller bearings for the hinge

And a sweet billet cap to cover everything up

1000 lb. adjustable latch handle

T-handle doing its job holding the open carrier in place. The hole also makes a great antenna mount location if you don't want to use it as a stop.

Rear quarter protection (I need a dry day to clean up the fender and hit it with some matched paint)

And thanks to AJ for the awesome bumper! I'm proud to have his stuff protecting every side of my XJ.

Unread 02-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #170
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
've been thinking about getting an aftermarket one anyway, so win/win. Stock skid for sale!
Looking great man, love that rear bumper. That tank skid would make a sweet match for my awesome front skid!!

How muchy?

Next time I am headed that way I will give you a shout again. Might be in the next month now as my dad is in the hospital which postpones my trip this weekend.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #171
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

$25? No dents or anything and no stray bolts with nuts stuck on them this time but I'm out of black spray paint. You'll probably need a set of bolts and nut strips too...I destroyed mine taking them out. Damn factory Loctite.

Unread 02-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #172
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Deal. Will PM details...

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #173
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Oh and while disappointed that this will not come refinished and free... kidding.

I have a hitch installed and will be able to mount it under that using the nut strips I am already using.

Now, just need to get there?

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #174
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Lookin good man, continues to be a great build.

How long time wise did just the cut-n-fold take?

My old ZJ build thread
Previous builds 99-XJ, 98-XJ, 89-XJ, 05-TJ, 95-ZJ, 79-J10
doogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #175
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
Oh and while disappointed that this will not come refinished and free... kidding.

I have a hitch installed and will be able to mount it under that using the nut strips I am already using.

Now, just need to get there?
Well I could try, but I'd probably pass out mid-way though in the basement from lack of ventilation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie View Post
Lookin good man, continues to be a great build.

How long time wise did just the cut-n-fold take?
Thanks! Having that stock bumper back there forever really made it feel unfinished since I had every other side covered but the rear was just...nothing.

The cut-n-fold itself didn't take very long; maybe a half hour per side. There's a bunch of write-ups I found that went into a lot of technical detail with precise measurements and such, but really all you have to do is cut the material out between the inner and outer fender at the front and back in a triangle shape (leaving enough left for overlap) and then sandwich it together with seam sealer and your choice of self-tapping screws or pop rivets, then painting over. I used pop rivets and had some factory-matched paint that I ordered for my header (still need to paint that thing ugh) but really you can't see anything anyway unless you're underneath it. An angle grinder with a 4" cutting wheel and a Sawzall make a great combo for getting those tricky angles.

I might try to go over them with some sort of bed liner and/or some other protective material (maybe some aluminum sheeting or semi-pliable synthetic) to virtually eliminate any possibility of rust and keep the vibration/road noise down a little. It was kind of funny cutting the flares apart and pulling out stuffed bread loaf-sized black plastic bags...for sound dampening, not drug-running leftovers from the PO. Gonna check out the hardware store tomorrow for ideas.

Unread 02-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #176
BAR01XJ

Can you show a picture or give a description of how you addressed your flares when doing the cun and fold?
BAR01XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #177
GtiKyle
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That rear bumper looks really nice! Keep up the good work.
Unread 02-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #178
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAR01XJ View Post
Can you show a picture or give a description of how you addressed your flares when doing the cun and fold?
I just unmounted them during the cut-n-fold, but originally I was going to try to cut off the excess that hung below the fender and then try to reuse the tip by epoxying it back on to the cut. After looking at it though, because of that crease in the fender and the shape of the flare, it's really not possible. So I'm just going to cut it flat straight across (tomorrow, when I go back to my buddy's where my power tools are). I'll get some pics of it then.

Unread 02-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #179
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Frickin LOVE that bumper!!!
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #180
XabuJr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
I just unmounted them during the cut-n-fold, but originally I was going to try to cut off the excess that hung below the fender and then try to reuse the tip by epoxying it back on to the cut. After looking at it though, because of that crease in the fender and the shape of the flare, it's really not possible. So I'm just going to cut it flat straight across (tomorrow, when I go back to my buddy's where my power tools are). I'll get some pics of it then.
So it's been like 10 days, where are the pics? Or did you forget the angle grinder?

'88 YJ, 33's, auto, 4.2L. Many pieces waiting to be put in!
XabuJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.