Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

99 ac doesnt work

682 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ou2mame 
#1 ·
So I've got a 99 that I just got a few months ago and the ac doesnt work. If i short the low pressure sensor the compressor kicks on.. Good sign right?

I'm completely ignorant to ac systems and generally dont use it, but sometimes I have to drive my dad to the doctor and he had a heart transplant so he needs the ac on hot days. Anyways, where should I go from here? Just get a walmart r134 kit and fill it and see what happens?

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I've done that. Its a cheap fix, but there is probably a leak somewhere. With that age, usually the evaporator needs replaced. You have to take out the dash or pull it out a bit, then up. Could try one of the leak stops. Not sure on AC as to how or if it gums stuff up latter. I have replaced the evaporator, the orings, drier and cleaned out everything else with an AC flush. Then took it to an AC shop for a fill.
My guess with the r134 kit, is you will get cold air, but it will leak out in a week or so. Might get lucky.

#3 ·
Well I filled it, but the compressor clutch wasnt spinning. I had to hit it with a screw driver and hammer to make it spin and it spin but it stopped so I took the clutch off and took out the shim.. Got it to spin, the pressure went down in the low line so I put more freon in and then ran out. Now it's showing under 25psi when the clutch is engaged but it kicks off and on every few seconds so i'm gonna need more. I'm going to put it some of that stop leak stuff I guess.

#4 ·
So i got a few cans of r134a and it took about half a can. I'll see if it holds and if not, I'll try some stop leak with the dye.. But with the clutch engaging and spinning now it makes cold air! I guess that's the best I can ask for. I didn't have to fill it too much so it might be holding it in, I guess I'll find out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.