98 XJ Roof rack build. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 98 XJ Roof rack build.

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 08-12-2012, 04:15 AM   #1
deitzberg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

98 XJ Roof rack build.

I was working at a facility that reclaimed hazardous waste containers and after seeing one of the 300 gallon I.B.C. I had an idea for a roof rack. If you are not sure what they are Google it and I posted a pic below of what I started with.

I started off by chopping it in half and than again. I did this because the rails on the one side were not spaced the same as the other. So I placed the two identical halves together.

Now this is where I have paused to get some input from some other people on how to proceed.

Option #1 Fix mount the other end caps or maybe make it so I could pull them off if necessary for hauling something long.

Option #2 Make it so that the front and back fold out. This would give me a kind of cage so that I wouldn't worry when on a long road trip. I could lock up the cage and people could just cut a ratchet strap and walk off with my luggage. Also I would allow to open up to carry bigger items that may not fit in when closed up.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. It is aluminum so I cant weld on it. I just dont have the skill or proper equipment.

Deminsions:

Middle rack: 48.5" wide
Long:
Option #1 69"
Option #2 Folded up ~48"
Option #2 Folded out ~90"

It started out:
47" wide side with 6 cross bars
39.25" wide side with 4 cross bars
49" Tall.

deitzberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
deitzberg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

additional photos

Here is a link to photo bucket where I have some additional photos of what I am working with.

http://s1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii542/Deitzbergiii/
Unread 08-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I like the option 2 to be able to close and lock it up or open it and have a huge carrier on top, pretty sweet idea, but I say option 2, I have no input on how to put it all togethter though, as I have no idea how to work with alum either.. looks good though
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
deitzberg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

thanks. i am in the garage playing around with it so i will post some more pics as i progress. One nice aspect so far i can lift it up by myself, so the extra cage weight wont make me too top heavy.
Unread 08-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
deitzberg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I fitted the middle portion on the jeep just to get a preview. The part above the second rail will be cut off but I needed an idea.

I got the middle together so now I have to make the final decision on folding or not.

Unread 08-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
deitzberg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Can anyone give me some advice on how to secure the rack to the jeep?

I am considering using the existing rack rails with a set of brackets that can fit over the rail and secure in the holes that are drilled on the outside of the rail. I think they are for tie downs but not sure.
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
CRider74
1996 XJ Cherokee 

If it were me...I'd get rid of the factory rack altogether, seal the holes, and use rain-gutter mounts for the basket you're building. At least, that's what I'm hoping to do on mine
Unread 08-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
deitzberg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Will they support the weight with no issues? Mine seem to be in good structural condition but I just don't completely trust it.
Unread 08-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
CRider74
1996 XJ Cherokee 

From everything I've read, they'll support more weight than the factory roof rack. I'm planning on using 6 (3 spaced out on each side) to distribute the weight.

Edited to add - my comments & opinions are based solely on research at this point, as I'm hoping to build my roof basket this fall/winter.
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
CharlieCherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

yes absolutely go with the rain gutters but your factory rails should last you a while.

in regards to your design, i like a low profile roof rack so i would rather have it be real low versus tall and cagey like, just my opinion.

In regards to mounting it to your roof rails, id just get some u-bolts and plates and fasten 'er up

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1992-cherokee-sport-1394133/
CharlieCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
jeepster383

Here's how mines mounted

image-990482324.jpg
jeepster383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
deitzberg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I am actually looking at securing it to the rails that those cross bars ride on. I would run a piece of channel across the roof to the other side so that the weight would be spread out.
Unread 08-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
cherokee_94

I fastened mine the same way. Just take some eye bolts an cut them to be a hook and fit them in the holes in the inside of the rails. Works great!
cherokee_94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
QXj97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

nice that gives me a couple ideas.
QXj97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #15
deitzberg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

What did the rack rest on? Was it the roof or did you keep the factory cross bars on?

Tags
98 xj , cherokee , roof rack , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.