98' cherokee buy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 98' cherokee buy

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
Turcsi_Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

98' cherokee buy

I found a 1998 white xj with 115k miles. 4x4 with a positive traction read end. I'm going to check it out this weekend. Power options, leather.
If everything checks out I'm considering it, he's asking 3500.

Anything I should know or be aware of before looking at it?

I am trying to avoid 00-01 for the cracked head issue.
If I get it, it will be a DD and weekend wheeler. I'll be putting a 3 inch lift and I already have a set of cragers with 31's. For a 3 inch lift what am I looking at rough estimate cost? Would I need sye and driveshaft for a 3 inch lift?

Turcsi_Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
critmuncy99
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Check for rust..Rockers..Floorpans underneath..
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
Turcsi_Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Will do. It is all stock.

Im more concerned with problems that this year might have, more major problems such as the cracked heads on the 00 and 01. If anyone can inform me that'd be great, from my research they seem reliable with no major issues
Turcsi_Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
critmuncy99
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah 98 is a great year....Only 00&01 had the head problems....I'd say go for it if everything seems tight....
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turcsi_Wheeler View Post
I found a 1998 white xj with 115k miles. 4x4 with a positive traction read end. I'm going to check it out this weekend. Power options, leather.
If everything checks out I'm considering it, he's asking 3500.

Anything I should know or be aware of before looking at it?

I am trying to avoid 00-01 for the cracked head issue.
If I get it, it will be a DD and weekend wheeler. I'll be putting a 3 inch lift and I already have a set of cragers with 31's. For a 3 inch lift what am I looking at rough estimate cost? Would I need sye and driveshaft for a 3 inch lift?
Don't let people scare you away from 00 and 01 XJs. My 1999 Jeep Cherokee with a 0630 head just cracked.

Do not think for one second that just because you don't have a 00 or 01 that you're head will not crack. They crack, trust me.

If i found a nice looking 00 or 01 XJ with not a lot of miles, no rust, etc etc, and it was for a good price, i wouldn't even hesitate for a second to buy it.

Just calculate a headjob into the cost of the jeep. It normally costs around $500-700 if you do it yourself, and honestly, it's not that hard to do. People just make it out to be this huge job.

Mind you the 00 and 01s have the LP D30 in the front, the coilpack ignition system, the weaker head, etc etc, but they are not bad jeeps. Everything can be swapped out for a reasonable price.

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Don't let a lpd30 scare you away from a 00-01, since you said you plan on running 31s it shouldn't be a problem.

The head job is easy and it allows you to clean things up, my intake manifold had a ton of black **** in it!! I'd say 1/4 of a inch of ****.
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.