97 xj noob parts recommendations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 97 xj noob parts recommendations

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-06-2013, 02:25 AM   #1
1997xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

97 xj noob parts recommendations

Hi Guys. I just picked up a 97 xj monday and love it already. Its in amazing shape and runs strong and shifts smooth. I plan to change the fluids and give it a quick tune and am curious if there are plugs that work particularly well (or ones to avoid)?

She also needs a muffler. I'll be driving to my hunting spots in the jeep so I'm looking for as quiet as possible without restricting flow. Any suggestions?

Also a bit of a quirk that I hope will be an easy one. One of the high beams doesnt work. Swapped bulbs and its not the bulb and the low beams work fine, so I'm hoping its a just short or broken wire somewhere easy to see. Is this by any chance a well known quirk with a simple solution? A lot to ask, especially for a 97, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Looking forward to getting to do some fun stuff after the general maintenance is squared away. I plan to leave the height stock (since I've also got an old lifted f150) so some armor is probably a good idea, along with body stiffeners. Also love to get some storage space up top but I'll use the search for help with these when its time

Thanks for the help and the great forum!

1997xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997xj View Post
Hi Guys. I just picked up a 97 xj monday and love it already. Its in amazing shape and runs strong and shifts smooth. I plan to change the fluids and give it a quick tune and am curious if there are plugs that work particularly well (or ones to avoid)?

She also needs a muffler. I'll be driving to my hunting spots in the jeep so I'm looking for as quiet as possible without restricting flow. Any suggestions?

Also a bit of a quirk that I hope will be an easy one. One of the high beams doesnt work. Swapped bulbs and its not the bulb and the low beams work fine, so I'm hoping its a just short or broken wire somewhere easy to see. Is this by any chance a well known quirk with a simple solution? A lot to ask, especially for a 97, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Looking forward to getting to do some fun stuff after the general maintenance is squared away. I plan to leave the height stock (since I've also got an old lifted f150) so some armor is probably a good idea, along with body stiffeners. Also love to get some storage space up top but I'll use the search for help with these when its time

Thanks for the help and the great forum!
I've learned that 4.0 likes the cheap crappy stuff, weird I know but is true for most. For some reason I can not think of the brand but I usually run the cheap copper plugs from auto zone. I would tell you the name but can't seem to remember, may be I need sleep who knows.

As for the muffler I would say that the stock one is the quietest. My flowmaster 44 isn't too loud and I take it hunting. I have parked in my spot before and watched deer look at me as the keep on grazing. But when I get out they all scurry away like usual.

The headlights may just need a new harness. The Putco, I think that's the name, harness is like $30 and it doubles the power to the lights if I remember correctly. But I am no expert in that area so I wouldn't really know.

As you may have noticed, or soon notice later down the road, the 97 is a bunch up of both the pre96 and 97+. Chrysler had the idea to not entirely switch everything over at once and therefore we are left with 97's that are mix matched with items between the two model generations. Its really not a big deal but it can be a pain sometimes.

Now, you may get pushed by some forumers to at least lift your keep a little as it usually happens to the newbies but you don't have to listen to them, its about what you want to do. Although, I do advise you could get a small budget boost to lift the jeep 1.5-2 inches to clear some bigger than stock tires like 30's. I only say that because you mentioned hunting and sometimes the trail to the hunting spot may need some small mods to get there like my hunting spot is, I am the only one who can get to my spot so far in a public hunting area. Budget boost usually run around $100 and are ready to install. Makes your ride a little bit more capable than it was stock and it makes it look better!

Oh, and I almost forgot, welcome to the forum!
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
1997xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the reply Muddy!

Thats good to hear about the cheap parts! And I'm guessing if people didn't like the stock muffler it would be pretty much common knowledge so good there too.

Yeah we'll see where I end up with the Cherokee. I picked it up bc a buddy is putting a Cummins in my 92 f150 for me and its taking forever. So I wanted something to pull my little fishing boat, do some easy trails, and haul the dogs out to the bush while that project is underway. Planned to still use my Mazda hatch for most of my other driving. Drove the xj for one day and decided to sell the MAzda and just drive the XJ everywhere :-) Such a cool rig. So as of this hour, I'll leave the XJ as my driver and use the f150 for heavy trail use. Don't really want to try to load a moose or a couple of deer into the XJ and I really don't care if the f150 gets some trail rash and dents. It would be a bit of a shame to trash the XJ, it still looks brand new. This is all subject to change of course but I'll definitely want to keep the f150 after putting so much work into it (plus it should get better mileage than the xj for trips up north) and two offroad rigs is a bit redundant.
Unread 06-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Jeep_Tech
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would try replacing the multifunction switch.......but before i did that I would check the relay for the high beams
Jeep_Tech is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
Jeep_Tech
2004 TJ Wrangler 

and stock is definatly quietest muffler choice
Jeep_Tech is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
1997xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Cool. I'll check them out, thanks.

Next question may be posted in another thread, but know much about nology hotwires? Popped the hood to put in new plugs, wires, and cap and rotor and it looks like previous owner spent some $ in the wires department. Keep em or replace them? No idea how old they are of course, but I'm leaning towards keeping since the rest of the stuff looks ok and its running well. Priorities
Unread 06-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #7
1997xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Problem solved. Just missing the high beam fuse :-)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.