97 XJ Build (On a budget...maybe) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 97 XJ Build (On a budget...maybe)

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-27-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
Nickdaleov

97 XJ Build (On a budget...maybe)

My name is Nick. I'm somewhat new to the forums here and the jeep world. But I've been lurking around for awhile getting ideas. I also bought Eric's book on building up an xj and needless to say, I've read it front to back multiple times haha.

I've finally bought my first xj a couple days ago and now I'm getting ready to buy the first few upgrades. I plan to daily drive it half the time and take it out to the local 4x4 park on weekends and up to lake Tahoe in the winters. I'm looking for a lift around the 5.5 range I think. I'm still debating though.

The xj is a 97 country. And just about 89k miles. For now, its completely stock but I will hopefully be ordering a lift kit this week. Once I figure out why I can't upload a picture, I will post a picture of what I'm starting with.

I'm debating on spending the money on a RE 5.5 short arm kit. I also like what ive read on the rough country 6.5 kit but I'm just worried that will be way too much lift haha and somewhat stiff. Any input on lifts or anything really is greatly appreciated!

I'll try to get pictures up soon and post updates when I can.

Nickdaleov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
amerbritcan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've got the rough country 4.5" lift, and 1" lift shackles in the back. It's very streetable. However I have concerns about its off-road capabilities. Concerns only, it may work great. I bought it this way and haven't wheeled it yet. I definitely think that long arms are a smart move at my lift or higher.
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Nickdaleov

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerbritcan View Post
I've got the rough country 4.5" lift, and 1" lift shackles in the back. It's very streetable. However I have concerns about its off-road capabilities. Concerns only, it may work great. I bought it this way and haven't wheeled it yet. I definitely think that long arms are a smart move at my lift or higher.
What brand lift do you have? And what size tires? I'd like to run 33s and eventually 35s. So that's why I was thinking 5.5. I'm going to try and decide on what kit so I can order it tonight.
Unread 10-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
amerbritcan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Rough Country. 235's on untrimmed fenders. It looks goofy. I'm planning on going 35's and trimming.
Unread 10-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
amerbritcan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you can afford something nicer than rough country, do it, as I'm pretty much the only person on here that doesn't mind their stuff. Also I have very little experience with it. People seem to like OME around here.
Unread 10-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Iron Rock Offroad, Clayton, Rusty's Offroad. I went with Rusty's, and over the last few years, visually compared and road in a lot of different lifted Jeeps. I really am happy I chose Rusty's.
Unread 10-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
Nickdaleov

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerbritcan View Post
If you can afford something nicer than rough country, do it, as I'm pretty much the only person on here that doesn't mind their stuff. Also I have very little experience with it. People seem to like OME around here.
How do you like the ride of your rough country lift on the street?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
Iron Rock Offroad, Clayton, Rusty's Offroad. I went with Rusty's, and over the last few years, visually compared and road in a lot of different lifted Jeeps. I really am happy I chose Rusty's.
I've heard good things about Rusty's as well. What kit did you go with and what tires did you clear?
Unread 10-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickdaleov View Post

How do you like the ride of your rough country lift on the street?

I've heard good things about Rusty's as well. What kit did you go with and what tires did you clear?

3.5" rear/3" front, JKS dogleg shackles, all 4 adj control arms, Rough Country adj track bar, RE sway bar links, and 31" tires.
Unread 10-28-2014, 04:40 PM   #9
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Stick with a 4.5" on 33s combo for your uses.

As far as a manufacturer?

Draw a circle, divide into 4 sections. Write in Rough Country, Rubicon Express, Zone, and Rusty's. Drill a hole in the center and install a dial. Spin said dial. Buy whatever it lands on, because they are all pretty much the damn same. Good coils and leafs, basic shocks, mediocre joints and bushings.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #10
Nickdaleov

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Stick with a 4.5" on 33s combo for your uses.

As far as a manufacturer?

Draw a circle, divide into 4 sections. Write in Rough Country, Rubicon Express, Zone, and Rusty's. Drill a hole in the center and install a dial. Spin said dial. Buy whatever it lands on, because they are all pretty much the damn same. Good coils and leafs, basic shocks, mediocre joints and bushings.
I have been admiring your build thread. I really like the way your xj sits. And that's about 4.5 of loft correct? I didn't think that you could fit 35s with a 4.5 lift. I assume a lot of fender trimming was the fix for that huh? Haha if mine came out looking like yours I'd be happy.
Unread 10-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I have been admiring your build thread. I really like the way your xj sits. And that's about 4.5 of loft correct? I didn't think that you could fit 35s with a 4.5 lift. I assume a lot of fender trimming was the fix for that huh? Haha if mine came out looking like yours I'd be happy.
Thanks for the kind words, and yes, 4.5" lift. Im actually not trimmed all that much, just had to elongate the wheel opening more so than raise it. Proper bumpstopping is a necessity though.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 10-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #12
Nickdaleov

Quote:

Thanks for the kind words, and yes, 4.5" lift. Im actually not trimmed all that much, just had to elongate the wheel opening more so than raise it. Proper bumpstopping is a necessity though.
With that amount of lift and 35s, how much flex do you get on trail before you hit the bumpstops? Is your lift pieced together?
Unread 10-28-2014, 09:26 PM   #13
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
With that amount of lift and 35s, how much flex do you get on trail before you hit the bumpstops? Is your lift pieced together?
More than enough flex to get me through the trails, especially since its locked up front.

And yes, pieced together. 4.5" RE coils, Currie JJ uppers/JK lowers, RE 3.5" leaf springs, aftermarket fullsize Chevy shackles, HD Offroad relocation brackets, etc.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 10-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #14
Nickdaleov

Quote:
More than enough flex to get me through the trails, especially since its locked up front.

And yes, pieced together. 4.5" RE coils, Currie JJ uppers/JK lowers, RE 3.5" leaf springs, aftermarket fullsize Chevy shackles, HD Offroad relocation brackets, etc.
I really like your xj. I've been going back and forth on what kit I'm going to go with, and I'm leaning more towards a rough country 4.5. Especailly after seeing yours. But I noticed they have a 6.5 kit and it's only like $100 more haha.

But I figure if I go 4.5, I could always get spacers or bigger coils and throw bigger shackles on outback and gain an inch or so if I ever had the urge.

And maybe someone can bring some clarity to something for me. I realize that adjustable control arms help with flex and also allow the caster to be adjusted accurately. But should both uppers and lowers be adjustable or is one more important to be able to adjust?
Unread 10-28-2014, 10:21 PM   #15
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Theres honestly no reason to go to 6.5" lift over 4.5" unless your looking for mall parking lot bragging rights. Higher center of gravity and less stability are NOT positive attributes, and 6.5" is NOT an "upgrade".

And adjustable uppers would be preferred over adj lowers in regards to adjusting pinion angle.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.