97 2 door XJ Worth $600? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 97 2 door XJ Worth $600?

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
jhickman1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

97 2 door XJ Worth $600?

Would value your input. Have an opportunity to buy a "project" 97 XJ 2 door with an almost rust free body (just surface rust from rock chips, etc.) although it does have several minor dents and dings. The PO bought it for parts and was going to scrap the body but realized after he pulled the motor and trans prior to cutting it up just how rust free it was underneath and here in Iowa that's a rarity. He's basically decided to sell it as a project rather than scrapping it just out of respect for what it could be. It's gonna need a lot of work but I'm thinking the rust free 2 door body, HP D30 front axle and 29 spline Chrysler 8.25 axle in the rear are worth at least the $600 he's asking for it. Wife thinks I'm crazy (what's new) but I think it's got potential....give me some ammo to go convince the wife.

jhickman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

So basically it just needs a motor and trans to get running? Sounds worth it. Talk the guy down to scrap value if that's what he was going to do anyway, but even if you can't I'd go for it. Motor and trans aren't hard to find or hard to work on/install.

Hard to really say without seeing it, but a solid unibody is worth ~$500 to me. You could easily part out what's left for that and scrap the body for a profit if nothing else.
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Hmm guess the question comes to if you want to pay 400$ less then you would for a decent running one... To me I would rather pay 400 more for one that has the motor and tranny in it and hooked up but I guess I'm just extra lazy
infob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You had me at rust free 97+ 2 door. Go get it now, motor and trans are easy to find, easy to work on and cheap.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
jhickman1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Guess I wasn't clear on my original post. The original motor and tranny come with it, the PO just strapped them to a pallet after he pulled them. The motor wasn't running when he bought it as a parts vehicle but it did turn over he said. Bottom line, sounds like most of you think its worth the $600 as do I. I know it's possible to find drivable XJs for a grand, but the fact it's a 2 door and rust free is what tips the scale for me. Thanks for all the input, you've helped me decide to go pick it up tomorrow. Here's the add if you're interested in seeing it (it says $800 but he said he'd take $600) http://waterloo.craigslist.org/cto/3930269554.html
jhickman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah I've heard that 2 doors are hard to find everywhere else... I can't really add any advice with that though I can't go one day without a 2 door passing me by seems I must be in the twilight zone where it's land of two door xj's... Even passed up three of them when I was looking for my first xj because I like having 4 doors

Guess its a matter of opinion 600 bucks leaves you plenty of spending money for any minor things you might need to get it going again so it's not like you would be paying more or less than a normal price in the long run so it's all up to you on if you want to build or buy but sounds like you made up your mind so if you get it keep us all up to date on the build good luck with it man
infob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.