97 + 2 door Xj tube door question!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 97 + 2 door Xj tube door question!!!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
bmtcdhs
2000 XJ Cherokee 

97 + 2 door Xj tube door question!!!

Can anyone give me a straight answer as to why no one makes 97+ 2 door Cherokee tube doors? they make them til 96 and why wont they make the newer model???

bmtcdhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The hinge style changed in the 97+ models. Make your own bud, thats your best bet.
[QUOTE=Driver831;13076990]Say what you want, a Dana 30 held up 53"s for a good while[/QUOTE]

My 3" to 4.5" to full width build-> [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/brookhart63-build-thread-1224726/[/url]
Brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Everyone said they wanted tubes doors for the 97+ 4dr. Jcr made some but they had a really hard time selling them. Guess the demand was all hype

I doubt you'll see some 2dr tube doors. Make some.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Crazystang89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Tube doors are cool but I'm sure the reason JCR couldn't sell them was because they were overpriced. Not because it was JCR but simply because all metal products (bumpers, tire carriers, roof racks, etc.) are rediculously overpriced. A man at his home can make the same bumpers for 1/8th the price if he has the tools. These big companies can build several of these per day and there isn't very much labor involved with the CNC machines they use. My thoughts are that a product that uses $50 in materials should sell for $100+shipping. If it takes $200 in materials, sell it for $400. But in reality there are companies like ARB who build bumpers that use perhaps $100 in materials and it goes for $799. I understand they have to make a living but they would sell a lot more if the pricing made more sense.

[quote=BeepBeepGoJeep;9666698]LOL heres how I see it....arguing over the internet is like being in the special olympics....even if you win you're still retarded.[/quote]
Crazystang89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 02:42 AM   #5
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazystang89 View Post
Tube doors are cool but I'm sure the reason JCR couldn't sell them was because they were overpriced. Not because it was JCR but simply because all metal products (bumpers, tire carriers, roof racks, etc.) are rediculously overpriced. A man at his home can make the same bumpers for 1/8th the price if he has the tools. These big companies can build several of these per day and there isn't very much labor involved with the CNC machines they use. My thoughts are that a product that uses $50 in materials should sell for $100+shipping. If it takes $200 in materials, sell it for $400. But in reality there are companies like ARB who build bumpers that use perhaps $100 in materials and it goes for $799. I understand they have to make a living but they would sell a lot more if the pricing made more sense.
Depending on the product I agree. But bumpers I feel the prices are fair. Especially considering most of the higher priced aftermarket bumpers will take a serious beating, not to mention probably save your vehicle from a serious accident.. mine sure did.

Premade tube doors are way overpriced.. I'm not sure if they have anything for 2 doors but jeeptubes.com sells prebent tubes ready to weld for 4 doors. I think you need to mock up your own latch and hinges. you could email them measurments for a 2 door and they could probably make something for you.
Unread 06-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Much like tube fenders, the labor to build them, (so they said) was too intensive, and took too long to keep at a low price point. They do have overhead. (Like the new shop they just got into, and the pay for workers.)

I don't care for jcr, all my stuff is made by lower volume companies.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
FairlanePhil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If I were to make a set I'd use the GMC/Bravada tire carrier as my door

Unread 06-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
97DCZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairlanePhil View Post
If I were to make a set I'd use the GMC/Bravada tire carrier as my door

How off are those hinge points? That looks like such an awesome idea if they line up and you play around with the pivot points and make a custom end.
(Sold) 1997 Grand Cherokee Limited: V8 5.2L, 2" BB, 31" Dick Cepeks.
(Sold) 1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 4.7L, Stock.
(Sold) 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 5.2L ,3.5" lift, 32" Tires
97DCZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
bmtcdhs
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i'd like to know how close those hinges are to the jeeps hinges?
Unread 07-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Not going to try and talk you out of tube doors, but getting the doors in and off is a PITA to say the least, putting the doors back on by myself took about 3 hours a side. Maybe with a second set of hands it would take less time.

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #11
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Overpriced? Yes by most standards I can see that. I will disagree with how easy and cheaply you make it sound like a set of tube doors can be built however.

The parts of a tube door might be able to be cut by CNC (not exactly sure on that process) but it still has to be welded together. That is more labor than you might think. There's also costs incurred with that as well: welding rods, wire, gas... Now consider that most companies aren't going to put their name on a crap product, so they are (hopefully) going to use better materials, paint or powdercoat, and they might use a half decent latch so it doesn't rattle. Most do-it-yourselfers use crap material, and a $4 gate latch from the hardware store, which absolutely rattle like hell out on the trail if not on the street as well. Long story short.... having built a quality set of tube doors myself, I can see why those companies charge what they do, and I can also see why most XJ owners think they are overpriced.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #12
bmtcdhs
2000 XJ Cherokee 

with my 2 door me and a friend can have my doors off and on in under ten minutes. it helps to have a second set of hands on a lot of things!
Unread 07-12-2011, 06:21 AM   #13
dhodgee
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I agree.
A lot of times I think you're paying for the companies trial and error. I'm guessing they didn't just weld it up and start selling it.

Like another poster said....
They don't want their name on a POS. I would build it and beat it up. Then see what I could do to make it better. Then market it.

It is a little discouraging when everything you want is $500's.

Tags
cherokee , tube doors

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.