96xj undecided hobby build.... - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 96xj undecided hobby build....

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 02-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #46
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ok then... replaced the power steering pump and pulley with the brand spankin new one from the correct year lol. new serp belt and also installed the new map sensor. ended up having to go buy a pulley puller bc i pushed the pulley onto the pump a little too far. but after lining it up correctly the jeep is squeaky free and everything is working properly.. installed a new air filter bc honestly im not impressed by the k&n that was in the box. so more repairs and a tune up to come... ill keep ya updated..

dead2rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #47
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

welp.... the duplicolor rattle can bedliner goes on pretty nicely and looks good but it just doesnt hold up very well.. didnt expect it to i guess. it was only going to be temp since i planned for my jk flares to go on whenever they get finished and with that i would need to do more trimming... i have some extra rattle can left so ill just fix it... it just looks like a spotted cow on the lower end. also going to be replacing my cap and rotor this weekend. my throttle issue has risen from the darkness AGAIN!! after that, if its not good to go, ill be replacing the o2 sensor on the exhaust manifold bc i think thats the culprit now... AND my idea of an engine project may be out the window for now because i think im going to need to replace my control arms after my last outting.. sooooo YAY!! lol... but either way, gotta love the xj
Unread 02-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #48
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

btw, does anyone know the correct part number for the distributor cap for a 96 xj classic with the inline 6?? damn change over crap.. jw and thouht id post it in the thread while im searching for it
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #49
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

was just looking at the before and after of my xj... pretty satisfied with how its all coming together. it sucks to be tracing down this fueling issue but all in all, i love my xj!! well i love it now... haha not so much before when it looked like a sugar cube on wheels

Unread 02-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #50
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

damnit.. im seriously just plain lost now. hope someone has some advice for this one... so i still have the throttling issue. ive spent a good chunk of change on replacing a ton of parts. basically, what its doing is having issues starting.. like it turns over n over n over until it starts. that or i try for a couple seconds, turn the key off and then start it up again where usually starts right up. on top of that, while driving itll idle really oddly. kinda peaks up a little and then will drop down to around 500 and sometimes worse to where it will shut off. so far for those that have now kept track of my repairs ive replaced so far:

fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter sock on the pump, the external fuel filter, rewired some of the connections on the sending module due to faulty connections, tps sensor, map sensor, cleaned the iac valve, new wires (twice), new plugs (twice), distributor cap and rotor, heater control valve, new serp belt, new air filter, cleaned the throttle body really well, new upstream o2 sensor, rewired part of the wiring running from the o2 sensor harness, new crankshaft position sensor, new ignition switch and lock cylinder, did a fuel system treatment.... and i think thats it off the top of my head. i have no idea what could be the issue... if anyone has any advice for this id greatly appreciate it. id really like to move on to the coolant system replacement as soon as this is all finished up..
Unread 02-25-2013, 03:53 AM   #51
Newf0rm
1987 XJ Cherokee 

have you checked all your grounding wires? ever looked at your injectors?
Now if there's one thing you can be sure of, it's that nothing is more powerful than a young boy's wish. Except an Apache helicopter. An Apache helicopter has machine guns AND missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive complement of weaponry, an absolute death machine.
Newf0rm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #52
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf0rm View Post
have you checked all your grounding wires? ever looked at your injectors?
hey man i havent checked the injectors but i did trace it back to be an issue in the fuel tank. waiting to get the money so i can get a new tank to replace my crusty one.

i havent been on for awhile but as an update, ive replaced the entire coolant system (radiator, pump, thermostat, upper and lower hose, new fluid, and cleaned the overflow jug). the jeep is running nice and cool again. i just want to throw a switch on to control the aux fan.

current plans now are to start looking into components for 5-6" lifts (not sure what i want to do about the controls yet), start working on chopping the rear cargo area and then also designing a cage for the inside...

and yes ill say it again..... this "hobby" has turned into a project lol
Unread 04-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #53
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ok so its been a really long time since ive been on here. i have been crazy busy with alot of different things and in my spare time i wrench on the xj... ive come to a point where ive moved on from my unknown problem with my fuel system and started to build it up. i still cant believe i started with this thing as a tinker toy and now its one of the tallest xjs on the island of oahu... the build is still going but since i last posted ive completely rebuilt the cooling system with a new radiator, water pump, t stat, upper n lower hoses, and i cleaned the overflow jug out since it had mud at the bottom. i also put in all new injectors (which did not fix my fuel issue lol), installed a smittybilt xrc front bumper (rear is on back order), took of my 3" lift and installed a 6.5" lift with new adjustable upper and lower control arms, t case drop until i order the extended driveshaft and sye, and also installed a new set of procomp 15" with 33x12.50 bfg ats. before i order the driveshaft though im looking into extending my wheel base so im not sure what ill do with that yet... but more will come!!

and i really really really want to get my xj to a good pausing status so i can build this!!
Unread 04-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #54
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

so before im done with the xj these are my plans...

replace rear main seal and all other bottom end gaskets, valve cover gasket, tranny and diff flushes, continue to try and figure out fueling issue lol, pick up the rear xrc bumper, get a quadratec 9500i winch or xrc, replace complete exhaust system from manifold back, upgrade the rest of the stereo system, replace headliner, sye, and extended driveshaft.... for now those are the near future plans. at some point after leaving this island, im going to fab up a rack and rock sliders... lol who knows, by this time next month i could have totally changed the thought process and have gone a totally different direction... but either way im going to try and get back to updating this thread as much as i can like before... stay tuned!!
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #55
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looking good man!!
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #56
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks man!

Just got some new tie rod ends and im about to order a new drop pitman arm since the one that came with the lift is the same as my stock one... Damnit lol.. The 15th im ordering my sye and ext drive shaft since im sure im gona snap my stock shaft at this place here called peacock flats... Def not flat either lol. Ill try to post a video of it if I can find a good one
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #57
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

what in the hell is wrong with this island?? holy **** i took my xj to goodyear yesterday to try and get a better idea of my fuel issue. they hooked it up to a diagnostic machine and away they went... before i handed the keys over to em though i told them every single part that i had replaced, which was everything except the hard lines, tank, and sending unit.... so i called the shop 5 hours later and they told me yeah its done. said they had not been able to diagnose the issue and all sensors were working properly. the guy said it seems like it could be the ecm which makes sense after researching it... but it was a definite from them. i go to pick it up after they attempted to diagnose my FUEL ISSUE, low and behold the sum*****es locked up my rear brakes and then tried to hide it and act like they didnt know. long story short from that point is the manager tried to say its my problem to deal with and then allowed his nonemployee friend to interject... to which i told him to piss off because he was making the situation worse... so now i have an xj with close to 6k altogether into it just sitting in my parking spot with a locked rear drum and possible ecm problem... rear drum i can take care of.. the ecm is basically impossible to come across out here... if anyone has a good source to get a refurbed on or new one at a cheap cost online please let me know... id really like to tie up this whole fuel problem...

ps im looking for the video of peacock flats now... posting in one minute
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #58
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ok here we go... this is a pretty decent video of peacock flats.. this trail goes up and down the side of a mountain with some pretty serious obstacles. the trail has a little bit of everything but do some serious damage if youre not careful.. lets see if i can get the xj up to par for the trail by the time we go lol

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #59
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

man that place looks fun!

man I need to do some light wheeling !!
Unread 05-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #60
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hopefully ill get to wheel when I go with the local jeep club here. I cant find the demand in my fueling issue. Just replaced the ecm yesterday... No luck

On to better news, picked up a monster dana 70 for 300 bucks... So next step is finding a dana 44 for my front and set it all up..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.