96xj undecided hobby build.... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 96xj undecided hobby build....

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #31
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

damn it... sorry guys.. actually took the time to organize my photobucket account and now i guess the links are messed up since i moved all my jeep pics to designated folder... ill try to fix that later...

dead2rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #32
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

hmm so the army has thrown yet another wrench into my plans. i am waiting to hear if i will be stuck here for a few more months or not. if i do, im thinking about picking up a inline 6 to rebuild.. basically itd be a good learning experience since ive never gotten that deep or involved into a motor before. if i do end up getting stuck here and i get the jeep 100% squared away, im going to try and track down a full motor and tear it down and then build it back up with undefined specs... basically just an idea i was kicking around for if i get stuck here longer lol... see what happens and ill keep ya posted!!
Unread 02-11-2013, 03:22 AM   #33
Newf0rm
1987 XJ Cherokee 

damn a full motor rebuild? that would be some serious sh*t lol
Now if there's one thing you can be sure of, it's that nothing is more powerful than a young boy's wish. Except an Apache helicopter. An Apache helicopter has machine guns AND missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive complement of weaponry, an absolute death machine.
Newf0rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 01:37 AM   #34
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

yeah... welp im stuck here for prolly around 6 months so i guess once i get the jeep running right i will see if i can find a location to work on a motor rebuild and see if i can locate a good candidate out here for it...
Unread 02-15-2013, 01:31 AM   #35
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i really need to find a place to do this side project once the xj is fully running correct because im sure youve seen it Newform, but theres an xj in wahiawa with a snorkel and similar issues as mine was having for pretty cheap... i can yank the motor, tranny, transfer case, snorkel and some other odds and ends for spares and scrape the rest... just gotta find a place... the auto craft shop on post may be too expensive for the timeline on it but i think im going to look into this weekend. if it works out, i might go look at it this weekend and make an offer on it. i mean hell, hes had it for sale for a pretty long time so i should be able to get him down on the price since its not registered and all that jazz... and also, going to check on the status of my map sensor and get the crankshaft position sensor tomorrow... if theyre in, then ill be installing them tomorrow.... see what happens...
Unread 02-16-2013, 03:56 AM   #36
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

picked up the map sensor and the crankshaft position sensor today... ill be installing in tomorrow morning. havent foundout anything about a place i could use for a little while to do an engine build... but i have time.. ill be on island for up to another 9 months which sucks but ill stay busy on the jeep while im stuck here haha... hoping to findout some info on this xj im looking to pick up but the guy hasnt gotten back to me yet... ill be taking some new pics to post too if i take the jeep wheeling tomorrow...
Unread 02-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #37
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

WOOOHOOOO!! damn jeep and their 96 mismatching crap... replaced the cps and the jeep is starting and idling much better but went to replace the map sensor and its the incorrect part.... couldnt go in with a part number due to there not being one on mine. so i researched it online and looks like a 96 isnt a 96 i guess. looks like a 97-01 will correctly fit with the harness. err.. welp, gona return the part and see if they have a correct one in stock and then going trailing... blah!!
Unread 02-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #38
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

sooo met a couple awesome local guys out on the trail today.. short story for now, helped them get out and then they got me stuck in a wicked mud hole. some trail damage but nothing major. some videos and photos will be up tomorrow prolly.. had a blast!!
Unread 02-17-2013, 04:36 AM   #39
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

too drunk to post pics and videos right now but i found a deal on a stroker... 200!! what?!?!?!?! calling tomorrow!! and then posting todays outcome.. burp
Unread 02-17-2013, 06:09 AM   #40
Newf0rm
1987 XJ Cherokee 

glad you finally had some fun man! lookin forward to the pics and vids!
Now if there's one thing you can be sure of, it's that nothing is more powerful than a young boy's wish. Except an Apache helicopter. An Apache helicopter has machine guns AND missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive complement of weaponry, an absolute death machine.
Unread 02-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #41
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

alright guys so now that im not drunk and harassed my buddy to give me the videos he took from yesterday... after i post these up, i gotta go wash the jeep down and check my trail damage out lol...

not too long into the trail i stopped for some flex shots

went to the turn around point and entertained some tourists going into the bird sanctuary...

then helped out the local guys who got hung up on a boulder.. they were having issues with their intake and trying to clean the trail up since the tree huggers go out and move boulders around to block the trails..

then the boys set me up for failure in a pretty nasty soup hole. lol good thing they were there to tug me out... i was struggling to keep the motor running so the exhaust wouldnt get backed up with the soup..

after the soup hole and the soup hole itself... you dont realize it, but on the close end is where i was trying to exit and there was about a 3' cliff which i couldnt get up. lol no traction and my tread was clogged up

after i clean the rig up, i may take come pics of the trail damage... see whats under all the mud lol
Unread 02-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #42
Newf0rm
1987 XJ Cherokee 

wow awesome man, ive never been there when it's muddy, looks like a real great time lol!
Unread 02-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #43
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

yeah man it was a blast.. most fun ive ever had trailing. i didnt expect there to be any mud really but just so happened to be a great day.. worked on cleaning the jeep... spent a few hours just getting the heavy stuff off. tomorrow ill be detailing it back to pretty.. well other than the trail damage and a good bit of the bedliner that i had put on was scraped off but thats too easy to fix...

was looking through some of my pics i have from all my past jeeps and came across my old tj.. that thing was a beast and i had dumped a ton of money into... kinda miss it!! but i think im more an xj guy...
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:21 AM   #44
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

lol .. I hate mud ... At frist I use to look for it... then i got so sick of cleaning it off and having mud over everything ... now i just try and go around it ... but it is fun ...!
Unread 02-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #45
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

yeah that mud was ridiculous.. i doubt ill be going like that again while im here. you never know though so we will see. but it did lead to me having to replace some stuff earlier than later... just got done at the parts store.. picked up the correct power steering pump and pulley, got the right map sensor, and got a new serp belt since im sure my current one is pretty beat with running on the wrong pulley setup for a short bit... afterwards i will be replacing the distributor cap and rotor.. after that, just gotta swap the injectors and fuel rail and ill have pretty much everything thats fuel or ignition related replaced.. waiting for the engine to cool and ill be out to tear into it!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.