96xj undecided hobby build.... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 96xj undecided hobby build....

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 02-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #16
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse12296 View Post
Sweet jeep man!!! You shoulda kept the other cherokee you scrapped and sold parts off of it! And who knows maybe you might need something for this one! Lol
i was thinking about keeping it but space here is pretty limited so i scrapped it. and also, that thing was just falling apart and it wasnt really worth anything after all the havoc i saw done to it. i just grabbed a few things off it though.

and thanks for the compliments guys. ive been staying completely busy with this thing. i have three weeks to get it as straight as possible with no leaks so i can ship it off this island and head home to delaware. so, with tons of research and questioning mechanics, i foundout that the 96 xj is an OBD II but at the same time the fuel system is OBD I. soooo... i had to figure out which parts i needed to fix my throttling issues. after getting a new fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, and fuel filter for in the tank, i replaced it all and rewired some of the corroded connections in the fuel module. its impossible to find a new tank seal out here so i had to reuse the old one with some gasket sealant. everything seals up great, runs awesome, and the fuel gauge even works now lol.. tomorrow ill be putting on a new power steering pump and may take to do some trailing to really get a good check on everything. nothing too hard though since i dont need any other issues before shipping it lol...

dead2rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
Newf0rm
1987 XJ Cherokee 

damn man, you are putting in some serious work!
Now if there's one thing you can be sure of, it's that nothing is more powerful than a young boy's wish. Except an Apache helicopter. An Apache helicopter has machine guns AND missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive complement of weaponry, an absolute death machine.
Newf0rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #18
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf0rm View Post
damn man, you are putting in some serious work!
yeah man i have been spending ALOT of time on this thing to get it straight enough to ship and ensure its working right. and im sorry bro but i had to use the power steering pump... i had to swap mine out because of a leak which would prevent shipping it out and i couldnt locate another one on island. so i did realize one thing though... a power steering pump from a 92 does NOT swap perfectly into a 96. just gotta love the change over year lol... fortunately me and my buddy were able to mismatch a few bolts and brackets to make it work... there was some rubbing on the tensioner pulley bracket but wore it down enough to stop squealling. its only temporary!! just to get it shipped. it runs perfectly fine and only squeals when i turn on the a/c... but i dont need it so its all good, no more leaks there. now i have to do something about the radiator. its got a small leak when first started and until it warms up. id rather not get a new rad out here due to the money i could save after getting it back to the east coast. but we will see what will have to happen to get the job done. again, i apologize about the power steering pump NEWFORM. if you want, i can ship it back after i swap in a correct one if you want... heres a couple pics from over the last couple weeks...

and some working pics...

Unread 02-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #19
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

oh man ... great pics... i would LOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVEE to do some cliff jumping there, as well as some climbing and some surfing ...
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

thanks man... the cliffs in the earlier shots were awesome and apparently shore fishing in the recent shots is pretty damn good.
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #21
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

yea ... that just looks great ... really great pics too
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #22
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

thanks.. im thinking about taking it up to the north shore one more time but really worried about screwing anything up..i dont want to break anything with only about 3 weeks before shipping it out. havent had a fully successful day up there yet lol... so either take the beating ive been dealt or chance it and go show the trail who is boss lol.... undecided
Unread 02-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #23
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I know the feeling ... I just got back and my jeep was owned an I had left it running well with a friend.. All as I have to say is you only live once .. go wheel that thing .. if it breaks you will fix it.
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #24
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

haha yeah... well i ended up not going wheeling today which was a good thing. the mysterious throttling issue has returned. i have no idea what else to replace now other than the injectors.. after that im lost... haha and honestly, ill wait till it gets back to delaware before replacing them... i can save alot more then... but i did recheck the spark plugs and i regauged them to the recommended .35 and now it starts alot better. so over the next few days im going to see if for some reason the incorrect gauging on the spark plugs may have had any influence on the throttling issue. other than that, i started the repair on the one spot of rot in my drivers side door jamb. removed as much of the cancer as i could and then laid some fiberglass down. once that is fully dry im going to do some body filler and try and attempt to color match the paint as much as i can... we will see how that goes... lol
Unread 02-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #25
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead2rollin View Post
haha yeah... well i ended up not going wheeling today which was a good thing. the mysterious throttling issue has returned. i have no idea what else to replace now other than the injectors.. after that im lost... haha and honestly, ill wait till it gets back to delaware before replacing them... i can save alot more then... but i did recheck the spark plugs and i regauged them to the recommended .35 and now it starts alot better. so over the next few days im going to see if for some reason the incorrect gauging on the spark plugs may have had any influence on the throttling issue. other than that, i started the repair on the one spot of rot in my drivers side door jamb. removed as much of the cancer as i could and then laid some fiberglass down. once that is fully dry im going to do some body filler and try and attempt to color match the paint as much as i can... we will see how that goes... lol

Are you getting any code .... I had some problems with mine... It's running we'll now but it was a process
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #26
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

no codes man... once in awhile the check engine light will come on but then itll go back off.. usually i chaulk that off to the gas cap not fully tightened... just spent 150 for a new map sensor since nothing else has worked... last night i was putting it yet another set of new spark plugs since i read that inline 6s can be pretty picky when it comes to certain parts. it made an improvement but while i was taking out the two to rear one my aged heater control valve decided to break loose completely and spray my hand down with scorching hot coolant... burnt my hand pretty bad... so i dropped 30 for a new heater control valve yesterday and replaced that... this thing is just driving me nuts so im starting to get irritated. hopefully when the map sensor comes in and i toss that on, itll cure my throttle issue... fingers crossed..
Unread 02-07-2013, 02:07 AM   #27
Newf0rm
1987 XJ Cherokee 

lol no problem man i installed my new one a while ago, plus it was yours to begin with. glad its working for you also sorry about your hand that sucks
Now if there's one thing you can be sure of, it's that nothing is more powerful than a young boy's wish. Except an Apache helicopter. An Apache helicopter has machine guns AND missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive complement of weaponry, an absolute death machine.
Newf0rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 03:53 AM   #28
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf0rm View Post
lol no problem man i installed my new one a while ago, plus it was yours to begin with. glad its working for you also sorry about your hand that sucks
thanks bro. the hand is doing pretty good... never bubbled up or anything. still just really red. aloe vera!!! haha.. so im still waiting for my map sensor to come in (fingers crossed that itll fix my issues) and today i sold the hideous wheels my xj was sporting when i bought it for 220... some guy with wants to put it on his patriot... hmmm to each their own i guess.. lol i told him straight up that i thought someone with a mini truck or something would buy em... well as for going trailing, if the map sensor fixes my throttling demon ill be down for some trailing. if not, ill be out unfortunately. really wish i could take on kaena point one more time... not that its a vicious trail area but havent been able to enjoy it since my xj wants to act up everytime i go. also, on another note, one of my docs decided to throw a wrench into my plans on moving off this rock in 18 days. now im waiting to hear if its still a go or if i will be stuck here for atleast another 6 months awaiting a medical board... i dont even know what to hope for anymore.. just drained off the nonsense... but back to xj news... the power steering pulley from the 92 is definitely gonna only be a temp fix since it squeals until the engine gets to running temp and i cant run my a/c without losing battery charge.. but for now, its holding haha!! itll be nice to get back to the east coast so i can do some good jy digging!!
Unread 02-09-2013, 02:50 AM   #29
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

plan for the weekend is to finish up the work i started on the patching of my little rot area in the drivers door jamb. already laid a couple layers of fiberglass. maybe tomorrow ill get around to sanding it down and throwing some body filler on it... hard part is going to be blending the color as best as i can... see how well i can do that part.. i can do body work decently but paint always gets me... unless its bedliner haha!! after that its just waiting on my map sensor to come in and ill be throwing on a new cps while im at it as well.... but that wont happen until the map sensor comes in next week...
Unread 02-09-2013, 02:53 AM   #30
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

and another issue has arisen... there is some clattering coming from underneath while im driving so im going to try and tackle that as well... atleast try and figure out what the hell its coming from.... i greased the front drive shaft and check that and the rear shaft as well and they both seem to be squared away so im not too sure off the top of my head what it could be... hopefully nothing serious!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.