96xj undecided hobby build.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 96xj undecided hobby build....

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 01-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

96xj undecided hobby build....

ok so heres the story line so far......

i went out and picked up a complete heap xj that ended up getting scrapped due to the immense amount of rust and rot everywhere, among many other issues... so basically i paid 450 for a sweet set of new 32" bfg A/ts on 15" black soft 8s...

so i returned to searching for another xj that was a good value with minimal issues and work done to it... just so happens that i found a white 96 xj classic with only 114k in nearly complete factory condition. only "mod" was a odd set of 15" mini truck wheels thrown on it and painted black... eh oh well no biggy (i have the set of 32s).... after fighting tooth and nail with the safety inspection places out here in hawaii, i replaced nearly all the bulbs in the rearend lights, custom built a battery tray and tie down bracket, and installed a new ignition switch and lock cylinder. so after 1000 for the xj, eh about 150 in parts, and 870 for registration fees, the jeep is on the road today!!

i literally got home and was bored and said screw it, im going to do some "minor" cosmetic stuff just to change it up and make it more my style and so begins the undecided adventure of whether its going to be an actual build or just a little hobby of doing little things to it... we shall see the outcome at the end i guess..... here are some pics of when i got it, and how it is now....

when i picked it up!!

after doing some duplicolor rattle can bedliner....

only had time to do the drivers side tonight but i have all weekend to finish the rest of it so no worries... but personally i think it looks ten times better!! so more to come.... so stay tuned!!

dead2rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
paintball10148
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Clean start! I'm glad I don't have inspection here in Colorado... Haha
paintball10148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

thanks man... yeah lol it was a nightmare!! but at the same time, i just drove home from work and saw a huge truck driving down the road without a hood.... hmm someone has connections lol..

ill be posting some more pics later... burned out from a long day at work so theyll be up later..
Unread 01-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Newf0rm
1987 XJ Cherokee 

this is what I like to see! lookin good man, surprising what a little paint/bedliner can do
Now if there's one thing you can be sure of, it's that nothing is more powerful than a young boy's wish. Except an Apache helicopter. An Apache helicopter has machine guns AND missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive complement of weaponry, an absolute death machine.
Newf0rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

haha yeah man, best 30 bucks ive ever spent on rattle can!! im uploading some pics now so ill post in a few of the rest of the work ive done so far... just got done detailing it as well... washed it yesterday, windows and panels today... trying to find a good commercial style vacuum to use but everyone ive seen at the service stations are broken or dont have nozzels or blah blah blah... so basically just gotta vacuum it and shine the tires!! i literally sat there and wiped down all the door jams and everything... surprisingly, the jams are in fantastic shape except for one spot which ill fix later... youll see in the pics to follow....
Unread 01-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ok... so im trying to figure out what the issue is with my computer... after i figure that one out, ill be updating and posting some pictures.... damn computer is holding me up lol
Unread 01-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

okie doke... back up and running... ill post some pics and update on what has been done since i last posted... the positives and negatives... so here goes lol...

saturday went sight seeing around the island and cliff jumping in hawaii kai

and the way the xj sits as of today...

Unread 01-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ok so that positives that have been done... obviously i bedlined that lower rockers and flares with rattle can (came out pretty nice) which gives it a much better look in my opinion.. i installed a sweet jvc headunit w/ blue tooth and all the other goods, after installing the headunit, i found out that all the speakers sound great except the rear soundbar.. theyre blown.. too easy though... installed new struts for the lift gate, cleaned the jeep up, gave it a tranny treatment and also a fuel system cleaner.. removed the rear bumper end caps because they were smashed and also in the way of bedlining.

the negatives.... its been pouring its butt off out here all day and realized theres a decent leak in the upper windshield area so im gonna track that down and see the severity of it. the brakes are noisy so they will be getting replaced and flush the brake lines, the "O" ring in the power steering pump in shot, someone put the wrong cap on the valve cover so i most likely will have to pop the valve cover off to see if i can remove it from the inside, if not, ill need a new valve cover... not an issue but i wont be able to do an oil change until thats taken care of. im going to have to flush the cooling system and replace the radiator eventually.. really really nasty in there and the upper inlet for the rad is plastic and is breaking apart in tiny pieces. hmmm what else......... o and the tires are horrible.. ride like wooden wheeled wagon lol..

plans for the near future... looking to settle on a lift and order that so i can throw the 32s on and replace the brakes as well, replace the "O" ring in the power steering pump, and then im going to do a full tune up. after that i will be doing the coolant system. after all the maintenance stuff is taken care of, im going to be searching for bumpers and recovery gear... i think this will end up being a damn project and not a hobby lol... we will see where it goes from here!!
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

errr im too impatient lol.. i just went to see how my 32s would look on the xj and i didnt stop there... i only put on the front drivers one but i just had to start cutting.... well, needless to say, the other wheel is back on haha... i cut the flare the way i want it to be until i finish up the jk flares i have and started cutting the fender ends.... i decided to stop because i didnt want to get too far ahead of myself without having the proper tools and day light... i think i am going to be rolling with a 3" lift and then probably build from there. i know with slight metal work the 32s will fit fine and look pretty stout at the same time. ill have to do some building upon the aftermarket lift so i can get the right amount of flex that im looking for... unfortunately, the last lift i bought was a 3" rough country... i wasnt impressed and im wondering now, what does everyone think is the best 3" to go for with the best bang for you buck in mind?? any ideas??
Unread 01-20-2013, 04:32 AM   #10
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Blah!!!! So i havent been on the last few days due to switching internet providers so im waiting on the service to be hooked up... but anyhoe im at my buddies on my tablet and wanted to update.... today was fail but with purpose i guess. Ive done some trimming to the front fenders and tossed on my 32s while im waiting for my lift to come in. Yes... i ran 32s on stock suspension with full knuckle to knuckle ability... not much room for flex due to only trimming away areas that were effecting the steering capability. Gotta be careful with what "custom" work you do here without a recon sticker. So anyhow, took the xj to do some trail riding so i could test out the four wheel drive and everything up at k point near dillingham if anyone is familiar with oahu. I went with my buddy who took his stock jk. Before even getting to the area the xj started acting up. About 3 or so miles from the trail, it started throttling really oddly and ehut off once on me. Got to the trail and made it about 200 yards in and decided not to push it too much since it started acting up horribly. Jumped in my buddies jk to salvage the day. Had a blast teaching him some tips for negotiating the trails but it sucked to have the xj parked near the beginning. Needless to say the 10-15 mile trip home was a huge struggle. Ive researched all jight trying to narrow down exactly the issue but havent found anything specific. Basically the xj idles fine in park and after shifting into drive (any gear) it tends to sputter and idle jacked up and shut off. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the throttle body and it would run fine for a few minutes before acting up again. Finally made it home and finished the night off with beers and research. Tomorrow ill be throwing a few new parts to try and figure it out, starting with a new fuel filter and cleaning the throttle body... any specific direction that anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Pics of things over the past few days will be posted next week.
Unread 01-25-2013, 02:59 AM   #11
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

UPDATE!! so apparently the best fix to my mutt is well no fix at all. ive been trying to narrow down exactly what reasons the xj acts up with the throttling. well this morning i ran out of gas yet again (need to replace the sending unit) and filled up the tank. the jeep shut down again... afterwards, drove the couple miles to work and back home. then drove to my buddies house so (with fingers crossed) the jeep may have fixed itself lol... although, it is only a temp "fix" since i WILL be replacing nearly every component in the tank and possibly the tank too as well. since my last post though i did replace the throttle position sensor, spark plugs and wires, fuel filter, and also completely cleaned the throttle body, iac valve, and also the outlet for the map sensor..

to go along with the normal jeep maintenance repairs and whatnot a usual person would do after purchasing an older vehicle, while i was replacing these parts, came across a radiator leak (small) and also a coolant leak in one of line from the water pump... hmm gotta love the upkeep of an older vehicle lol... so heres how the jeep sits currently (well when it died on me at the trail)...

im only doing this because my rig embarrassed me on thr very beginning of the trail last weekend... after replacing numerous parts, narrowed it down to either fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump...

Unread 01-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

WOOOHOOOO!! the xj has definitely gone beyond hobby lol. yesterday, with the help of my buddy, i installed my 3" lift with add a leaf and upgraded shocks. now it had been nearly 10 years since i had done my last lift on a cherokee and it just so happened to be the same lift. we started with the back and ran into issues right off the bat. while trying to get the rear bolt out of the leaf pack it was limited by the tow hitch frame and the gas tank skid pan... so we had to drop both of those to get the bolt all the way out. after that, it was smooth sailing for the rest of the rear. then onto the front... the only real issues that we had with the front was the control arms. getting them out was pretty simple so we could drop the axle down far enough to remove the springs. getting the control arms back in was the issue... lol we did one side at a time and got the drivers side back in after a few minutes but it took nearly an hour to get the passenger side back in. when we started working on the passenger side, the axle decided to twist towards the rear on the pass side. ended up lifting the xj up high enough on the lift to use a tankers bar to shimmy the damn control arm back into place. after all said and done and keeping the guys at the auto craft shop on post a little late, the jeep rides amazing!! the shocks had been replaced at some point but they were shot. as of right now the lift is sitting a little higher than 3" but itll settle prolly right on point. so here are some pics that i was able to take while at the shop and just afterwards...

photobucket is acting up so this was the only pic i was able to get off right now... damn site...
Unread 01-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #13
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

today i replaced the speakers in the rear sound bar but no pics of that since it looks ugly because i need to redo the headliner lol... but even if i did, photobucket is working with me today... ill post pics later on after i redo the headliner... trying to figure out what material and color/pattern i want to go for...
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #14
jesse12296
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet jeep man!!! You shoulda kept the other cherokee you scrapped and sold parts off of it! And who knows maybe you might need something for this one! Lol

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1994-jeep-cherokee-slow-highschool-build-1398809/
jesse12296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 04:58 AM   #15
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looking good, looks just like my old '96 I started into XJ's with. Keep up the good work!
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.