96 Cherokee XJ lift advice please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 96 Cherokee XJ lift advice please

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
HoserPride

96 Cherokee XJ lift advice please

Hello, I'm going to be buying a 96 Cherokee XJ 4x4 with the 4.0l i6. It needs new shocks so I figured I might as well lift it instead of replacing the factory shocks. I'm thinking about a 3-4.5" Rough Country lift. From what I've seen the 3" kit is about $350 and the X series 4.5" kit is $830~. Price doesn't bother me too much.

My concerns are lifting it too much and having to get a TC drop/SYE. I would prefer the 4.5" lift but if I have to get brake lines/TC drop/SYE, then I might go with 3". I plan on putting 31-33" tires on but it depends on which lift I get.

Let me know what you think. I'm open to other kits as well. RC is just one that I've heard lots of good things about.

Thanks.

HoserPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Do not go with RC, Spend your money wise do it once ! I wish I learned that years ago it would have saved me thousands.

Look into a Old Man Emu lift with Their shocks or Rubicon Express or BDS, Or Rock Krawler with Bilstein shocks .
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
XJ99XJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

^^^YUP^^^

Drive that ***** stock, enjoy it.... Save up and "do it right"

You'll like it stock anyway!

Good luck on ya journey
Unread 07-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #4
njfreekshow
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Basically what the others said. RE id go with but if you want to go a bit cheaper, id suggest Rustys, ive had mine on for 2 yrs now and no issuee at all. I oersonally changed my front brake lines when I went to 3.5" and you may want to invest in a HD adjustable track bar. Typically anything over 3.5" youll need a tc drop or sye. This is all from experience and research, so search around and save to do it right the first time.
Unread 07-24-2013, 03:06 AM   #5
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

What do want out of your rig? Lcog or Hcog? What kind of trails are you going to be running? You can run 37s on 3 inches of lift with trimming a little welding and proper bump stops. Here comes the hate LoL. RC shocks are there weak link. Do your homework because if you wait around for a definitive answer on here about what to do you will die with a stock XJ in your driveway. I'm new to this XJ area but I got my 06 TJ in 06 and nothing has changed. Update your OP with specific info for better results.
XJmike0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Muddy97Cherokee
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJmike0122 View Post
First off ignore everything you have read so far. Now what do want out of your rig? Lcog or Hcog? What kind of trails are you going to be running? You can run 37s on 3 inches of lift with trimming and proper bump stops. Here comes the hate LoL. RC shocks are there weak link. Do your homework because if you wait around for a definitive answer on here about what to do you will die with a stock XJ in your driveway. I'm new to this XJ area but I got my 06 TJ in 06 and nothing has changed. Update your OP with specific info for better results.
Hmmmm, let me get this straight. 37's with 3" of lift with "trimming," ha no. To run that you need way more than trimming. Keep in mind that you can't trim the rear quarters too much because of the pinch weld. 3"and 33's, okay, 3"and up becomes a problem unless you can fabricate.
Rough county's shocks are most of their problem but their leafs are stiff and each one is different from what I have seen.

You are right about doing homework though...

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/groups/295467847240084/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Lime"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][FONT="Arial"]Oklahoma Unibody Jeepers[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[URL="http://okjeepers.com/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Yellow"][FONT="Arial"]Oklahoma Jeepers[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

-Zack
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy97Cherokee View Post
Hmmmm, let me get this straight. 37's with 3" of lift with "trimming," ha no. To run that you need way more than trimming.
I said bump stopping which is the most important part. I guess our definition of trimming is different.

Not my rig 37s less than 3 inches of lift per his post.
Unread 07-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Muddy97Cherokee
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJmike0122 View Post

I said bump stopping which is the most important part. I guess our definition of trimming is different.

Not my rig 37s less than 3 inches of lift per his post.
Bump stopping is not the only thing. To clear them you have to cut the pinch seam and weld in steel in place of it. But that's for fitting them. You also need things to run those 37's also. Its not just a "as long as it fits" kinda thing. A lot more expensive and complicated than just a simple lift with 33's.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/groups/295467847240084/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Lime"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][FONT="Arial"]Oklahoma Unibody Jeepers[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[URL="http://okjeepers.com/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Yellow"][FONT="Arial"]Oklahoma Jeepers[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

-Zack
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ok added the welding. I do know you need other things to run 37s, but starting to getting off topic. He never even said he wanted 37s. I just said that because he was concerned about not lifting to much. Hell my whole 1st post was kind of off topic. I had a few to many.
Unread 07-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
slickfreeze
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I bought a Rough Country 6.5 long arm, and I have had to replace almost everything but the longarms themselves. If I could go back, Rubicon Express would be my choice.
If you never plan on taking your jeep off the pavement, RC would probably be ok.
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

"ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy
slickfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Rubicon Express, Clayton, BDS, or IRO are the best options imo.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #12
HoserPride

I ended up getting a 92 xj. It has some kind of lift on it. The guy i bought it from said e bought it that way. Ill try to get some pictures up later. I dont want to trim anything. Right now she has some well used 31s and I think I will probably stick with 31s and get a 4.5" lift. (Eventually)

I dont plan on cralwing mountains. I mainly want to just mess around in mud and dirt. I went to a 4x4 off road coarse by my house and it had some **** I dont plan on trying with my jeep. I know I dont need a crazy lift to do what I want but my other car is a sentra with low profile tires. So I want to be up above people.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry it too so long. The original jeep i wanted flaked on me when i went to buy it.
HoserPride is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.