95 XJ With 29K Miles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 95 XJ With 29K Miles

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 07-14-2008, 05:13 AM   #1
Rob5755

95 XJ With 29K Miles

I picked up an auto tranny green '95 XJ Sport with 29,000 miles this past weekend. It looks to be an 8 out of 10 mechanically and a 9 appearance-wise (bone stock). The Carfax report came back clean. In addition to a complete fluid change-out (tranny, oil...etc.), what other age-related items should I have my mechanic check out? Are there specific belts, seals, gaskets, hoses, brackets...etc. that corrode due to age, regardless of how relatively few miles may be on the XJ?

I bought this as a commuter for my wife, but she may want to drive something more 'gas-practical.' I figure I'll try to make it as fuel efficient as possible, but in the end, I know I can easily sell it for what I paid. Suggestions will be appreciated.

Rob5755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2008, 06:45 AM   #2
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would flush the brake system and replace the serp belt, just on general principles. toss some new plugs (champions), rotor/cap (if it has them) and wires on it too, unless you know theyre recent. maybe keep an eye on the battery if you dont know how old it is.

remove the roof rack cross bars if it sees a lot of highway miles for an extra .5 mpg or so.
Unread 07-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
Rob5755

Thanks for the reply! I bought this Cherokee on the spur of the moment due to the low mileage & the overall condition of the vehicle. I figure that as I do not have to make any monthly payments on it and insurance is low, that would balance out the fact that gas at $4.05 a gallon wouldn't hurt THAT badly. My other choices were a 2007 Liberty for 17K and a new FD-I 4x4 Patriot, but I'd end up making a significant monthly payment (gas AND insurance), that I think would nullify the mileage improvements either vehicle might offer.

Any other forum member insights would be appreciated.
Unread 07-15-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
Rob5755

Bump Message

Last edited by Rob5755; 07-15-2008 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: Misspelling
Unread 07-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
littlewaywelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob5755 View Post
Thanks for the reply! I bought this Cherokee on the spur of the moment due to the low mileage & the overall condition of the vehicle. I figure that as I do not have to make any monthly payments on it and insurance is low, that would balance out the fact that gas at $4.05 a gallon wouldn't hurt THAT badly. My other choices were a 2007 Liberty for 17K and a new FD-I 4x4 Patriot, but I'd end up making a significant monthly payment (gas AND insurance), that I think would nullify the mileage improvements either vehicle might offer.

Any other forum member insights would be appreciated.
I'm in a similar situation as I just picked up a 2001 xj w 7k miles.
It's getting a safety inspection today and I asked the mechanic to really look thouroughly at it. Just getting the oil changed now.

Before the winter I'll probably have all the fluids changed, new plugs and the brake flush.
01 XJ sport auto i6 08-? 7k
littlewaywelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #6
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

As with any vehicle with some age, electronics/sensors/and ignition parts can become inefficient or faulty. I'd say inspect the coil, plugs, plug wires, and cap and rotor carefully (for the 95). I understand the '01 uses an entirely different ignition setup so IDK there. It's new enough that regular maintenance would be fine I'd imagine.

The 95 is OBD-I so it only has one 02 sensor, I'd simply replace it now to avoid problems later on. Replace it with a Chrysler part rather than a cheapo bosch or something to the effect.
kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2008, 05:52 PM   #7
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

sometimes having a mechanic look it over isnt always the best (atleast in my situation). back when i was ready to buy my jeep, my dad took it to a mechanic to get it looked over (he wanted them to look it over). they said that it had a MAJOR electrical problem..they lost everything electrical and it made a loud grinding noise. they also said it had a big oil leak. they said that if i did end up buying it, it would probably only last 1,000 miles if even and i would end up having to put twice the amount i paid for it into it. the result? well yeah, i put twice what i paid for it into it, but in mods and ive had it for over 4,000 miles with only replacing the oil sending unit and u-joints coming up soon.

and the "MAJOR" electrical problem? worn ignition switch. hasnt done it since and if it does happen, i just barely turn the key back and its fine. the big oil leak? its barely leaking at the main seal but not even enough to have to put any oil in before the next oil change. needless to say, i havent been back to that shop and i ended up leaving on a bad note because after they repeatedly tried to tell me not to buy it and just give it to a junkyard, i just shook my head and told them to lay off the weed. and im glad i didnt listen to them..the jeep is still running strong and doesnt show any signs of giving up any time soon.

thats just my experience with corporatley owned auto repair shops. as for what to replace and what not, just look things over and check for leaks and watch the gauges. check the belt for cracks and check the fluids. if its been sitting alot, id just replace all the fluids..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.