95 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 95 Jeep Cherokee 4x4

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 01-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Jessenia

I have had a rough looking Jeep Cherokee for the last year but I love it. Its forest green with a tan interior. It has rust which is to be expected from a midwest vehicle that's almost 20 years old. About 2 months after I bought it the driver's side door top hinge rusted off the frame. The breaks have been completely redone and I just put a new starter in it last week. Mechanically I have had no issues with this Jeep and I have really come to love it. I am contemplating repairing the exterior and bringing it back to life. Is this a good idea or am I just going to waste money on a useless project? I figured everyone on here might give me the best advice rather than a mechanic that will just overcharge me thinking that he will be doing the work. I plan on doing most of the repairs myself with the help of my dad and his friend with any welding that needs done.

Country Girl <3

Jessenia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
BGDG280
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Noone can decide for you if a vehicle is worth repairing.

I will cover a few points however that hopefully will help you make the best decision possible.

Before embarking on any major repairs and rust generally falls in this category, I ask Myself, why would I do this?

Am I doing it to keep it for the long haul?

Am I fixing it up to sell?

If the first then, if you believe the Jeep is worth your time and money, go for it, however if the second, then you must look at the realistic value of the Jeep both now and if repaired. Consider this girl, 90% of all projects take twice as long and cost significantly more than originally thought.

Then, once these questions are answered, sit down, scour catalogs and make an honest list of costs, and while you wont be paying much for labor, add in your time, it has value. Remember the above rule.....

Then you must ask yourself this, can I buy a comparable Jeep for what I will have spent on fixing this one, that does not have the issues the current Jeep has. If you can, then you have a decision to make there as well.

But the final decision is yours and yours alone, sometimes, the love of a vehicle is all thats needed to motivate us to go through with the repairs, even tho we will never recover our investment.

I hope this helps :-)
Unread 01-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Jessenia

Good points to consider. I don't plan on selling this Jeep. I will either fix it up for myself or my fiance will turn it into a mudding vehicle for us to play with. I like the size of my Jeep and the body style. I've always been a Chevy girl and never thought I would drive anything else. I was kind of desperate when I bought this Jeep and figured I would just keep it till my next tax check and buy a Chevy but I'm having second thoughts about going back to a Chevy. My biggest question and I know that every vehicle is different but do Jeeps run for a while if they are cared for or do they hit a point and just become a nuisance. My grandfather has been fixing up a 32 coupe and I have been helping him and I like restoring and find it to be calming. Its more so I want to figure out what major things I should fix first with an older vehicle.

Country Girl <3
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
BGDG280
1991 XJ Cherokee 

LOL, I was a Chevy guy for decades!! LOL

Ok, what I would do is, go through and change all the fluids and filters, trans and diffs included.

Do a complete radiator flush and replace the water pump and thermostat.

Do a complete brake job on both axles.

This amount of preventative maintenance will go a long way in creating a long life.

I have a 95 with 381,000 miles on it.
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Jessenia

The breaks have been completely redone and I was planning on the thermostat, water, and fuel pump. The fluids and filters were next. The person that had it before me apparently took the rear wiper off which I really don't understand but to each their own. Oh one question though. In between the the visors there is a black dome looking thing... is it suppose to be a light or what?

Country Girl <3
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessenia View Post
The breaks have been completely redone and I was planning on the thermostat, water, and fuel pump. The fluids and filters were next. The person that had it before me apparently took the rear wiper off which I really don't understand but to each their own. Oh one question though. In between the the visors there is a black dome looking thing... is it suppose to be a light or what?

Country Girl <3
I'm pretty sure that's for those fancy keys that un lock your car from far away ha. Lets see some pics of the Jeep!
moses21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
Jessenia

I will post some when I get a chance... its 11:40pm where I am and its suppose rain for the next 2 days... sometimes I hate the midwest...

Country Girl <3
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
XJ99XJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Keep it girl! I got a 95" n love that shiiiiiiiiit

image-1205345962.jpg
Unread 01-28-2013, 01:43 AM   #9
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Keep it! Post up pics to! Drive it til it wont drive no more. Cherokee 4 life
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:25 AM   #10
BGDG280
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I have a '93 with that dome thing, I have NO clue as to what it is LOL

Good luck with your Jeep girl, I think you will have it for a long time!!
Unread 01-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

The dome is for keyless entry
79chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #12
Jessenia

Sweet so how do I get a new key fob to use?

Country Girl <3
Unread 01-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #13
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

No clue, i need one for my 92, the PO lost it.
Unread 01-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

This may help you mine is not on there though
https://ikeyless.com/vehicles/Jeep/Cherokee/1995/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.