93 XJ DD Work Truck: Old Maiden - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 93 XJ DD Work Truck: Old Maiden

New! JK/U skid plate system.FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-29-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
miteofthesun
1993 XJ Cherokee 

93 XJ DD Work Truck: Old Maiden

Howdy all,

I am creating this thread to document my progress as I fix up and restore my 93 XJ that I bought about a month ago.

I bought this XJ to use as a daily driver, and also as a work truck as needed.

4.0, 5spd, 2wd. 66,XXX miles on the clock when I bought it. We all love 4wd, but I couldn't pass up this Jeep considering the low mileage and the deal that I got. 2wd will also help with fuel "economy," considering that this is a daily driver.

I would like to make it 4wd in the future, but it is a low priority. I will acquire parts in the meantime, as I find deals.

It would be great to achieve the upper end of the fuel economy range listed on the dealership window sticker below. "Between...18 and 26 mpg on the highway." 25 mpg with an XJ would be great.

So far, the best fuel economy that I have gotten is 21.6 mpg. The car is entirely stock, with the exception of 235/75R15 tires.

So far, here is the work that I have done:
Replaced battery
Changed differential oil, transmission oil, engine oil + filter
In the process of flushing cooling system...the coolant was nasty
Transmission mount
Fuel pump, fuel filter
Rear hatch supports
Tune up
Valve cover gasket
Replaced valve cover
New CCV, vent elbow, and grommets
Gates water pump, Stant thermostat
NTK O2 sensor
Replaced radiator/heater hoses
Eliminated heater control valve
Motor mounts and engine support bracket bolts
Monroe Severe Service Shocks

Upcoming work:
Brakes
Replace the base model gauge cluster with the full gauge cluster package
On board air, using Sanden AC compressor
Dodge 703 injectors

Here is the Jeep, as purchased:

Original window sticker:

miteofthesun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
miteofthesun
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Fuel Pump

Bosch 69302 vs. old fuel pump:

New fuel pump, ready to go in:

Old heater control valve, which fell apart at the slightest disturbance:

Unread 03-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just taking a picture of those breaks them
FairlanePhil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2015, 07:10 PM   #4
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thats a really nice looking XJ. I sold my green 93 last summer. Your headed toward a real nice ride that will be reliable and good looking. Nice job.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2015, 10:47 PM   #5
miteofthesun
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbruzan View Post
Thats a really nice looking XJ. I sold my green 93 last summer. Your headed toward a real nice ride that will be reliable and good looking. Nice job.

Ron
Thank you for the kind words

Do you have any suggestions when it comes to making an XJ ultra-reliable?
Unread 03-29-2015, 11:22 PM   #6
miteofthesun
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Valve Cover

Today I cleaned up and painted a valve cover that I picked up at the junkyard a while back.

I flushed the valve cover repeatedly with Simple Green. The inside of the valve cover was pretty dirty, especially between the baffle and the top of the valve cover.

The inside of the valve cover can "soak" in degreaser by capping off the CCV holes with duct tape, and leaving the oil fill cap in place. I flushed the valve cover several times, with a 1:1 mixture of Simple Green to water. It seemed to work fairly well.

Cleaned and painted valve cover:

Installed, with a fresh valve cover gasket:

Quenching old oxygen sensor with water before removal (obviously the engine needs to be hot in order for this to be effective):

That's it for this weekend. Next week, I plan on giving her a tune-up, and working on the cooling system.
Unread 04-01-2015, 08:43 PM   #7
miteofthesun
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Replacing CCV Hoses

The other day I replaced my CCV hoses, as the ends looked like this:

These hoses can be easily replaced with PCV/Fuel Vapor hose, available at any parts store.

Parts needed:
~2 ft. 1/2" PCV/Fuel Vapor hose
~2 ft. 3/8" PCV/Fuel Vapor hose
3/8" MIP x 3/8" barbed brass adapter

The hose from the airbox to the front of the valve cover can be replaced with 1/2" hose.

The hose between the intake manifold and the rear of the valve cover can be replaced with 3/8" hose. In order to ensure proper fit, the fitting in the intake manifold must be replaced with a 3/8" MIP X 3/8" barbed brass adapter, which threads right into the intake manifold. A short piece of 1/2" hose can be used as a "coupler," joining the CCV elbow to the 3/8" hose. See below:

Unread 04-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #8
miteofthesun
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Tune Up

Gave the Heep some love in the form of a tune up after work today.

Spark plugs: NGK 7252
Denso plug wires
Standard Motor Products premium distributor cap & rotor
Fram Extra Guard air filter

I also eliminated the heater control valve by installing heater hoses for 97+ XJs (Gates part numbers 19038 & 19039).

Before I put the new plugs in, I ran a compression test. Fortunately, the engine has near-perfect compression across all 6 cylinders (130psi).

Old plugs:

New parts in:

I sure wish the distributor cap wasn't bright blue! Doesn't exactly suit the Jeep.

I have been flushing the cooling system repetitively, as the cooling system was neglected by the previous owner. The water is still coming out brown (rusty) after about 5-6 flushes. I would like to get the cooling system completely clear before I put in my new waterpump and thermostat.
Unread 04-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #9
miteofthesun
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Cooling System Maintenance

Got the water pump done last night. I've been flushing the cooling system over the past two weeks to get all the rust out. During the last flush, I used Prestone cooling system cleaner/flush, which appeared to liberate some more rust that remained in the system.

I flushed the heater core repeatedly, in both directions.

The block was flushed thoroughly as well.

Off with the old:

New vs. old water pump:

The previous owner did not have a thermostat installed at all.

Hopefully, having a thermostat will have a noticeable positive affect on fuel economy.
Unread 04-04-2015, 10:49 PM   #10
miteofthesun
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Motor Mounts

Today I replaced the motor mounts, as the driver side mount was shot. I decided to go with NAPA mounts, as I am a bit uncomfortable running $5 Anchor motor mounts...who knows, maybe they are made by the same manufacturer.

The pair of mounts came to $38.26 after the AAA discount.

Here's how to go about it, for anyone that is considering replacing theirs. The procedure is more or less the same for both sides. I found that it was easier to work below the car when replacing the driver side mount. There is easier access to the passenger side mount, which makes it possible to replace the mount from above. Replace one mount at a time. I was not able to torque every single nut/bolt down, as my torque wrench would not fit in some of the nooks and crannies where they are located. Torque down everything you can, and use the torqued bolts as a a point of reference when tightening the other bolts with a regular wrench if you must.

REMOVAL:
1. Disconnect battery.
2. Support the engine. This can be done with a bottle jack and a scrap 2 x 4. Place the 2 x 4 between the jack and the oil pan, and raise the jack to support the engine. Use a bottle jack, as a floor jack will move as the jack is raised.
3. Remove the nut from the through bolt in the mount (18mm). Leave the bolt in the mount.

4. Remove the nuts/bolts from the support cushions. There is a 15mm nut and bolt on the driver side, and two 15mm nuts on the passenger side.

Driver side, top view:

Passenger side, top view:

5. Remove the through bolt, and remove the motor mount.

INSTALLATION:
1. Position the mount, and install the nuts/bolts. Torque to 30 ft. lbs.
2. Install the through bolt and nut. Torque to 48 ft. lbs. It may be necessary to manipulate the jack during this process, depending upon how worn the old mounts were. I had to raise the engine in order to get my driver side mount to line up. When installing the passenger side mount, I had to lower the jack from that position in order to get the mount to line up.
3. It would be wise to torque down the bolts that hold the engine support bracket to the block while you are in there.

See this thread for motivation: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/w...-bolts-594902/

The bolts should be torqued to 45 ft. lbs. I found one loose-ish bolt on the driver side engine support bracket.

Old mounts:

The driver side mount was torn completely around the metal insert, which may explain the clunk that I occasionally hear when I let off the gas and engine brake.
Unread 04-06-2015, 10:07 PM   #11
miteofthesun
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Engine Support Bracket Bolt Replacement

Here is a quick parts list for those that want to replace their engine support bracket bolts mentioned in the previous post.

I got the grade 8 hardware at ACE.

PARTS LIST:
1. 3/8-16 x 1-1/4 Grade 8 Flange Bolt
ACE Part # 43189-D
Qty Required 6
$1.50 ea.

2. 3/8" Thick Hardened Washer
ACE Part # 458958-C
Qty Required 6
$0.40 ea.

3. PB Blaster

4. Blue 242 Loctite

OEM vs. replacement bolt:

The bolts can be removed one at a time with or without supporting the engine. Apply Loctite to the new hardware, and torque to 45 ft. lbs.

Now, I just need to extract the stripped Torx fastener on the passenger side bracket.
Unread 04-06-2015, 10:24 PM   #12
miteofthesun
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Coolant Leak

Got home from work today, and noticed a sizeable puddle of coolant forming under the Jeep.

The coolant was dripping off of the lower radiator hose. I initially believed it must be something to do with the water pump that I just replaced.

I popped the hood, and noticed there was coolant strewn all about the engine bay. At this point, I was even more concerned.

I checked the coolant level in the overflow bottle, which was 1/3 full. I topped it off, and fired the engine up in an effort to find the leak. There was no indication that the car overheated.

I immediately saw that the plug in the filler neck of the radiator was pissing coolant all over the place.

It's tough to see in the picture below, as the engine was shut off at this point, and the system pressure was dropping. You can see a small stream of coolant squirting out, appearing to make contact with the hose clamp.

Turns out, it was just a faulty o-ring. After the lady came home, I borrowed her car and headed to O'Reilly in search of a replacement.

Old on the left, new on the right:

National Part # 213
15/16" I.D. x 1-3/16" O.D. x 1/8" thick
$2.29

The new o-ring is obviously thicker. The inner diameter is fairly close. After removing the airbox, I smeared a few drops of oil on the o-ring and installed it. Quite an easy fix, as I was expecting something much worse.

Back in action, leak-free:

Unread 04-09-2015, 08:49 PM   #13
miteofthesun
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Bolt of Eternal Sorrows

I am happy to say that the saga of the stripped torx bolt has finally come to an end! I named this bolt "the bolt of eternal sorrows."

Success at last:

I managed to weld a nut to the head of the torx bolt with my stick welder. I used 3/32 6010 rod at ~100 amps. I superglued the nut to the head of the bolt to hold in in place.

Once I got the nut welded to the head, I got the bolt turning with a set of vice grips. I used a set of "mini" vice grips to turn the bolt counterclockwise until I could remove it with my fingers.

I really don't think that it would be possible to fit a MIG gun in that confined space...I bent the last 3" or so of the electrode to form a 90° bend so that I could get in there.
Unread 04-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #14
AustinTexasXJ
Witty Title Here

1999 XJ Cherokee 

very clean XJ man! id love to have a mostly stock 5spd for a DD!

Insta: @bmwalive/@TexasDrivenJeeps
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
AustinTexasXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2015, 02:15 AM   #15
miteofthesun
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexasXJ View Post
very clean XJ man! id love to have a mostly stock 5spd for a DD!
Thank you! I'm loving it.

I can't believe I'm actually getting 22 mpg.

25 would be a dream come true.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.