93-99 XJ 4.5-5.5 Suspension Lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 93-99 XJ 4.5-5.5 Suspension Lift

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 02-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
Dallis04

93-99 XJ 4.5-5.5 Suspension Lift

What is the best suspension lift to get for a 90s XJ Cherokee for trail riding and off roading, I want to fit 33s.

Also is it a leaf spring suspension? Basically I need to know what is the best suspension lift to put the XJ and if long arm etc is necessary, I just need some guidance on suspension lifts for XJs

Thanks!

Dallis04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

If only there were some sort of pinned topics and ways to search for the thousands upon thousands of threads with this basic information.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
VNilla
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That really annoys me when people don't answer peoples simple questions on here. Anyway, I got you man.

If you want 33s you could get away with a 4.5 inch lift. You'd need a transfer case drop or a SYE neither of which are too expensive or difficult to do. You may also have to trim fenders depending on how hardcore wheeling you are doing.

You definitely want long arm. Just trust me. It will flex better and overall be better.

Your XJ does in fact have rear leaf springs. With most lift kits you can do AAL (add a leaf) or get a full new pack of leafs. You definitely don't want AAL.

I'd recommend going with a Rubicon Express lift kit. Good quality and price.

Any other questions just let me know.
VNilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 05:01 AM   #4
Dallis04

Thanks guy, yeah i thought that is what forums were for, to ask questions and share advice and answers you stupid pr@$k.

Anyways, VNilla, I appreciate you taking the time to answer me. That really helps. I haven't found a XJ yet, but on the lookout.

I have been thinking that RE was the way to go after reading about them. So you suggested getting a new leaf set, why is that and how much is that?

Also what's long arm vs short arm?

Thanks
Dallis04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would stay clear of rubicon express myself. The control arms are crap and you quickly grow tired of replacing hourglass bushings. The track bar is also poorly bent and quite thin.

Short arms use factory control arm mounting points and long arms use custom mounting points that can improve suspension geometry.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Too bad these questions have been answered 1000s of times and it gets old. Do some research for yourself instead of asking us to do it for you.
[CENTER][SIZE="1"][Color="Blue"][b]00 XJ Sport "Wannabe Desert Rat"[/b][/color](August 2012-Present) 4.0L - 160k Body, Monstalined Menace, ATK+ Longblock, 6.5" IRO Short Arm Lift, LMP Front Bumper, Bushwacker Flat Flares, Clayton DS Track Bar, ZJ V8 Steering, Quick Discos, Bilstein 5100s, IRO HnT SYE, Braided SS Brake Lines, 1" TC Drop, HiLift, #784 Injectors, Flowmaster Super 44, 33" BFGoodrich A/T on Outlaw IIs, Safari Snorkel, Autopal Harness + 80/100w H4 Bulbs[/SIZE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/blue-waffle-build-thread-1807113"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Blue"]Blue Waffle Build Thread[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/URL]
Built Not Bought #704[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"][i]Past Jeeps:[/i]
[Color="Red"][B]93 ZJ Laredo[/B][/color](Jan 2011-April 2011) 5.2L - 98k, Stock - Totaled
[COLOR="Tan"][B]96 ZJ Laredo[/B][/COLOR](April 2011-August 2012) 4.0L - 138k, Cowl Intake, Rancho 9000 Series, 2" Spacers, 31" Baja MT Widetracks - Sold[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="silver"]Monstaliner: [url]http://monstaliner.com/[/url]
Iron Rock Offroad: [url]http://ironrockoffroad.com/[/url][/SIZE][/COLOR]
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Forums are not for people to ask redundant questions that can be easily found with the search function.

If you don't know that the XJ is a leaf sprung rearend then you don't deserve to ask what the best lift is since you haven't even tried to do basic research.

Try the stickies at the top of the XJ technical section. It has multiple links to educate yourself about the basics and even a super helpful link called Lifts etc. which has reviews and tire fitment FAQS.

That's a fact, Jack.
Unread 02-28-2014, 07:43 AM   #8
VNilla
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
Too bad these questions have been answered 1000s of times and it gets old. Do some research for yourself instead of asking us to do it for you.
If you know your stuff then you shouldn't have to do much research. I've read your build thread. I know you could answer this kids simple questions without thinking.

Breaking bolts and taking names.
VNilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 07:56 AM   #9
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

It's completely subjective that's why it's annoying, what I am building my rig for isn't the same as X,Y, or Z person.

Wanna climb rocks? Do you want LCOG or would you feel better being up slightly higher? 2.5-4.5" lift, long arms, etc

Wanna do jeepspeed type stuff? 5.5-6.5" lift, drop brackets, air bumps, etc

Wanna do mud? 4.5+ lift, and adj. short arms will do you just fine.

Plus budget, technical skill, etc.

No other person on this forum can tell you what will be best for you, and that's why these threads annoy the vets.

Also, OP, coils springs up front, leaf springs in the rear. A Jeep Cherokee has a truck suspension for all intensive purposes.
[CENTER][SIZE="1"][Color="Blue"][b]00 XJ Sport "Wannabe Desert Rat"[/b][/color](August 2012-Present) 4.0L - 160k Body, Monstalined Menace, ATK+ Longblock, 6.5" IRO Short Arm Lift, LMP Front Bumper, Bushwacker Flat Flares, Clayton DS Track Bar, ZJ V8 Steering, Quick Discos, Bilstein 5100s, IRO HnT SYE, Braided SS Brake Lines, 1" TC Drop, HiLift, #784 Injectors, Flowmaster Super 44, 33" BFGoodrich A/T on Outlaw IIs, Safari Snorkel, Autopal Harness + 80/100w H4 Bulbs[/SIZE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/blue-waffle-build-thread-1807113"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Blue"]Blue Waffle Build Thread[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/URL]
Built Not Bought #704[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"][i]Past Jeeps:[/i]
[Color="Red"][B]93 ZJ Laredo[/B][/color](Jan 2011-April 2011) 5.2L - 98k, Stock - Totaled
[COLOR="Tan"][B]96 ZJ Laredo[/B][/COLOR](April 2011-August 2012) 4.0L - 138k, Cowl Intake, Rancho 9000 Series, 2" Spacers, 31" Baja MT Widetracks - Sold[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="silver"]Monstaliner: [url]http://monstaliner.com/[/url]
Iron Rock Offroad: [url]http://ironrockoffroad.com/[/url][/SIZE][/COLOR]
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNilla View Post
If you know your stuff then you shouldn't have to do much research. I've read your build thread. I know you could answer this kids simple questions without thinking.
And without even using the search function he can find answers to his exact questions in 5+ new threads on the first two pages of this section and that's not even getting into the stickies. You might not post here much, but those of us that do get sick of answering the same lift questions over, and over, and over pretty much every day because some can't be bothered to read the basic information that was compiled and stickied for their laziness in the first place.

Unread 02-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #11
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
A Jeep Cherokee has a truck suspension for all intensive purposes.
Intents. Also plenty of pickup trucks have leafs up front.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.