'92 Jeep Cherokee Laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > '92 Jeep Cherokee Laredo

Ruffstuff 10 year saleBDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-10-2015, 06:37 PM   #1
IamHenshaw

'92 Jeep Cherokee Laredo

Okay, so I'm new to the whole Jeep thing.
I've owned a couple of trucks ('82 Dodge W150, '88 Chevy K15, '72 Ford F100), but I've come across a Cherokee with 273,XXX miles.
I mean the thing is in great shape, drives great, handles great, and all the options work. The only issues are the center console latch missing and it will start up and run without putting a key in the ignition.. Which is a mystery to me.
However, the milage just has me hung up. I've always heard that the 4.0L HO engine is tough, but I haven't the slightest clue HOW tough. The guy has all the service logs and what not, I'm just trying to figure out if the vehicle will last and if it's a decent buy. Seems like cost of replacing parts is pretty cheap though.

IamHenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2015, 06:39 PM   #2
IamHenshaw

Oh and how about transmission durability.. All I know is it's a four speed auto with overdrive..
IamHenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2015, 08:40 PM   #3
Tru2Chevy
Web Wheeler

1992 XJ Cherokee 

My '92 Cherokee has 284k on it and it runs and shifts great. I bought it with 241k miles. The trans is an Aisin-Warner AW4, and is also known to be pretty robust.

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
S8NNG8
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

If its well taken care of and has the ride to prove it, the milage would mean nothing to me. Even if the rest of the rig is in mint condition, buy it. The motor or tranny can be replaced for far less stress than the hours of body work or such that will be wrong with the next one you find.
Unread 09-14-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
UncleBilly

Just bought a 1990 rig. One owner, tons of records and upgrades with 250,000 mi on her. In awesome shape inside/outside. Rides nice and straight. If engine dies, I'll replace and keep going... I'd post photos but seems I can't do that for some reason?
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2015, 08:00 PM   #6
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My 99 has 246K

The previous two 00-01 died at 110K and 138K
FairlanePhil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2015, 08:46 PM   #7
S8NNG8
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
Just bought a 1990 rig. One owner, tons of records and upgrades with 250,000 mi on her. In awesome shape inside/outside. Rides nice and straight. If engine dies, I'll replace and keep going... I'd post photos but seems I can't do that for some reason?
You can post pics when you reach 20 or 25 posts. Don't know if they changed it from 20.
Unread 09-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #8
XabuJr
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
If you use photobucket, and just post the links to each pic, someone senior will quote the message w/ the pics for easy viewing..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.