92 Cherokee Refresh, and restore. . . - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 92 Cherokee Refresh, and restore. . .

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

92 Cherokee Refresh, and restore. . .

Recently I purchased a 92 Cherokee for a DD. I'm looking to improve upon it a little to get the most out of it. There will be no lifting yet so if that’s all that matters, sorry to burst your bubble. Maybe in the far future I will add a small lift and some decently sized tires but for now it’s going to remain stock. I have a dirt bike for my extreme off-road needs.

It’s a 92 Cherokee, 4.0, 5 Speed, 4x4 with 145k on the OD. As it sits there are a few things it needs, to say the least. Motor mounts are GONE, Trans mount is in poor condition, distributor cap looks old, injectors are probably original, valve cover gasket is leaking, weather stripping is shot all around and so on and so on.

The list of things I plan to do! Kind of in order. . .
*Change ALL fluids! (Done)
*New motor Mounts (Done)
*New Transmission Mount (None)
*Cap, Rotor, Wires (Done)
*New fuel regulator (Cant find!)
*New belt (Done)
*New trackbar and bushings (Done)
*New tie rods
*New Tires
*New Shocks
*New control arm bushings
*A/C ? (Need to fine leak)
*99 or newer Intake with 703 Injector’s
*New 2.5” exhaust from the header back, includes cat, and muffler (going for quiet).
*New O2 sensors (Dont need just yet. . . )
*Replacement Electric Fan (Done)
*New windshield weather stripping
*New door and side window weather stripping.

During the test drive the A/C would blow cold when you were moving. Got it home and added a can or 134A I had lying around and it started working better but the compressor shuts off at idle. I plan to have the father-in-law take a look at it and charge it up for me.

Here are a few pictures of how it currently sits. . .

I love how the engine bay is not overly populated with electronics and crap!

There is also an excessive amount of engine noise in the cabin. The foam block where the heater and A/C pass through is crispy and frail. I'll probably cut a piece of rubber I can affix around the area the better seal it off.

There is also some aluminum tape behind the motor on the firewall, not sure what its covering up, maybe a few holes?

The windshield trim is no longer flat, it creates quite a bit of noise when on the freeway. . . I want to replace it with a newer style rubber seal, we will see.

The wheels I plan on putting on the Jeep, I don't care for the Jurassic Park wheels too much. . .

That’s pretty much it for now, some parts are ordered and on the way!

Unread 04-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

A few parts are in!!!

And right off the bat, problems! New fuel regulator does not fit!!!

Passenger side motor mount is destroyed!

Driver side is not much better. . .

The passenger side mount was a pain in the butt!!
The oil filter was practically welded on so I had to get a little creative, I tried a nylon strap and a pair of vice grips and all that did was dent the filter. So i smashed the filter with a pair of finger grips I use for welding and it came right off!

After this point I removed the memory card and forgot to put it back in. . .
Pretty easy job, Pulled the air box and replaced the driver side mount, then I removed the oil filter adapter and replaced the passenger side mount. Pretty easy job all the way around.

Worked my way over to the passenger side. Removed the oil filter adapter, broke the oil sending unit in the process. . .

New Cap, Rotor, and plugs! I went with a brass tipped cap because it was cheaper.

Got everything put back together. I removed the charcoal canister so now I had to put it back. Nice tight area with no room for a hand. Nice trick I haven't seen many use, put a piece of paper between the socket and bolt and it will hold the bolt in place.

And some other pictures because I'm tired of typing. . .

Welded with a harbor freight 90amp flux core welder. Works great! I ran out of wire in this pic, but I finished welding it after I got some more. stay away from the Harbor Freight wire, tips and its a great welder!
Unread 04-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

92 still has r12...
Unread 04-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
92 still has r12...

Not any more, works great! Somewhere along the lines someone converted it. I put a can of 134 in it to see if it will hold a charge, so far its still blowing cold. If I cant find any leaks i will probably drain the system and head down to Mexico for a refill of R12, its a few dollars there.
Unread 04-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Well a few days ago I was sitting at my Dad's shop for a while and noticed when I left it was blowing smoke. . . great! after a little driving it cleared up. So I went ahead and ordered some new felpro valve stem seals and a TPS from Rockauto. Talk about great prices!

I also was tired of the shaky steering and constant feel of impending death-wobble from my out of round tires. So I check Autozone and checkers for a quality steering damper. Autozone KYB steering damper = $55 or $68, O'reilly's KYB = $30. . .

Next couple of days I plan on getting new tires but I'm trying to find a quality set for a good price but it seems everyone has stopped making tires for 15" wheels. . . I'm looking for a nice A/T in the $120 range. Any thoughts? preferably 30/9.50/R15, but other sized recommendations are welcome.
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
ChEaPsK87
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max78 View Post
Not any more, works great! Somewhere along the lines someone converted it. I put a can of 134 in it to see if it will hold a charge, so far its still blowing cold. If I cant find any leaks i will probably drain the system and head down to Mexico for a refill of R12, its a few dollars there.
good find on the xj! if the ac has been converted to r134a why you going to mexico to get r12? please don't use that outdated ozone depleting crap. r134 actually cools better and more efficiently anyway.
ChEaPsK87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChEaPsK87 View Post
good find on the xj! if the ac has been converted to r134a why you going to mexico to get r12? please don't use that outdated ozone depleting crap. r134 actually cools better and more efficiently anyway.
Converted as in a new fitting and some 134A. R12 still works better in an R12 system. EPA is also phasing out 134A because they find its just as bad as R12 so. . . Hello 1234YF!
Unread 07-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Well it was fun while it lasted. . .

Less than 4 months of ownership and now my Jeep is stolen from my house in the dead of night. A ton of parts and money, and now its all gone.

I had liability only so yay to receiving nothing!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f320/.../#post15702022

Unread 07-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Dam man sorry to hear. I can only imagine. Hopefully something shows up!

Red 00 XJ lifted
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
Blue 00 XJ Hella stock
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:56 AM   #10
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max78 View Post
Well it was fun while it lasted. . .
**** I was expecting blown motor or something like that. Sorry to hear that. I'm in NM it would be a long shot but I will keep an eye out.
XJmike0122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I got the Jeep back in one piece!!! Missing a pocket knife and the faceplate to my radio. Other than that everything is like the day before it was stolen. My old smartphone was even still in there!

Time to get back on track, it needs a few parts still.
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
rustbuilder
1981 CJ5 

Yeah!!Did they catch them!
rustbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #13
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

They never caught anyone, It has been sitting at a retirement facility 5 miles from my house for 2 months. . .
Unread 09-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #14
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

wow you actually got it back after 2 months?? yowza! holy crap only time ive ever seen that on here.
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Well, whoever stole my Jeep busted all the interior lights so that was an excuse to get new ones. . . I went ahead and upgraded to LED. Super easy, cheap and bright! Maybe a little too bright.

The motor also does not sound very healthy. . . I has developed a pretty bad tick, and some other strange sounds while it was away. . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-48-LED-Wh...52f150&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.