90 Cherokee Loredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 90 Cherokee Loredo

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 04-12-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
NewJeep101

90 Cherokee Loredo

I'm really hoping you guys will make me feel better here....

So today my fiance and I used most of our tax return to buy this rig and I'm thinking maybe we shouldn't have.. Its a 90 Cherokee Loredo that we paid 1850 for. So far driving it home the 50 or so miles it was fine. Then about 15 miles from home it starts smoking out the driver side wheel well. Smelled almost like a burnt clutch. Since I've gotten it home its stopped and the steering is almost gone so I'm betting its was leaking power steering fluid.. ?

I don't know.. I took it out of 2wd and put it into 4wd drove it a bit, drove fine, tried to put it back in 2wd and still felt like it was in 4wd. Also experiencing the oil blow back and from what I read isn't huge issue.. But I'm worried about this steering issue.. I guess I'm just here hoping to read some encouraging news..

Incase you guys want to see it its still on craigslist.. here is the link.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/3735862988.html

NewJeep101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 04:21 AM   #2
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeep101 View Post
I'm really hoping you guys will make me feel better here....
I'll do my best. I'm pretty sure it's not clutch you're smelling.
That's a fine looking XJ there. Unmolested, unabused and stockish to the bone. Looks like it's been owned by a school marm all its life. This should be a great vehicle for whatever your plans since you won't have to deal with much previous owner concocted mods. It's like starting from scratch with a fresh canvas.
I see no rust - the paint looks great for the age and should perk up nicely with a little wax. No one's mentioned the mileage but it looks to me like it's got a lot of life left in it and once you get caught up on the maintenance might be pretty reliable. Fortunately older XJs are relatively inexpensive to work on and not that complicated.

The XJ transfer case shifter relies on mechanical linkages from the bottom of the shifter to the lever on the case. Since they're exposed to the elements underneath, they're prone getting stiff without use. I'd crawl under and spray the linkages down with some penetrating oil then work everything around a bit to make sure everything is moving as intended. Steering is pretty simple; pump, lines and fluid. Once it gets light outside you should be able to get a handle on that problem pretty quick.
It's pretty rare to see a '90 in that condition. Don't give up on her too quickly.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Vote for the August Cherokee Of The Month here - Yes YOU!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Hopefully this helps with your transfer case shifting:

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I let off the gas, throw the lever, and then tap the gas and let off.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".
visor-np231.jpg  

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
NewJeep101

Ok guys, this is decently encouraging and I thank you for that! She really is in good condition considering the year.. its got about 180k on it by the way but as I said engine runs good just those few issues.. I am actually taking it to AAMCO here in about an hour for free multi point inspection by their GM who also is a jeep owner/enthusiast.

I will most definitely keep you guys posted on whats going on, and again I thank you for the responses. My lady and I do plan on doing some customizing to the rig as soon as she's back to proper running order and when we can afford it. The only experience I have driving a 4wd select is in a chev pickup, where you had to stop, put in neutral, put into 4hi or lo and then put back into drive, and thats what I did with the jeep so I'm glad to see the post on how to properly work the gears on this rig.
Unread 04-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
NewJeep101

Ok guys, GREAT news.. So just heard back from AAMCO, they said really only thing wrong is shot u joints.. He said they will also service the front and read differential while they have it all for about 600 bucks.. I could NOT be any happier. So 2450 to have a nice reliable jeep.. I really cannot complain! This has been one of the longest weekends of my life, I was honestly expecting 800-1200+ for AAMCO but was pleasantly surprised.

So, now to make a new post.. (90 jeep Cherokee Project) First things first, a paint job! Thanks again guys!
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #6
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Good to hear u-joints are all that ails you. They do wear out particularly if not greased once in a while, but far too many people ignore them to the point of catastrophic failure.
I'm guessing the Aamco differential service consists of changing the oil which is another good mainenance task that's fairly easily accomplished without much specialty tools needed. Overall your XJ ranks as 'pretty easy to work on' and you could save a lot of $ over time by doing some things yourself even with only basic mechanical skills. If you can figure out how to work the search function well enough to find them, there's threads around here covering just about everything you'll run into as an XJ owner.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Vote for the August Cherokee Of The Month here - Yes YOU!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
NewJeep101

Yea I need to invest in a tool kit.. They are having issues replacing the u joints. The guy says he thinks it has a different front end so there playing the puzzle game.. :/ Really hope this isn't going to cost me more money.. Any ways, yea I'm pretty good with the computer so I know I can probably find out most of what I need. Find out the problem would be my biggest issue. Turning wrenches is the easy part, diagnosing the problem is something else though.. Any ways thanks for the posts.. I'll keep you posted. I'm curious to see what front end this beast has.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.