Sorry it's been awhile since the last update. Just got done with school finals, and now have a summer filled with plans for the XJ!
Finally got some stuff done today!
Got the inside of the bumper cleaned up and sprayed with a rust sealant and bedliner, and then sprayed the bedliner on the end caps. Now I just need to put it on! (Will have to wait till Sunday )
Also, got the tire swing all ready! Just need to put the mounting brackets into the bumper and sidewall, then on she goes!
Almost got the hitch rack done, but ran out of bedliner for the bottom half. Picking some more up after work today, and then will finish tomorrow after I get home.
Then, a question. I currently have 2 mismatched mirrors (one chrome, one red/black) because my driver's chrome mirror and cracked and wasn't worth trying to save (and the housing is shot, so I can't swap it out). So, I took the broken one and covered it in some bedliner to see how it might look. I don't have time today to put it on and take a picture, but I will tomorrow. But, here's the picture of it now. Just want to know if it'd look good this way, or if I should keep my eye out for another good chrome one in the junkyard.
Got some stuff done today! Got the old bumper off-iprevious owner welded it to part of the frame, but luckily it wasn't too hard to take off. It just means that I don't have my tow hooks until I get to the junkyard and get the support brackets. Took off the factory fog lights because I'd like to do a little work to them to get them looking nice (well, semi nice) again. Uncle had some cheap $12 driving lights from Walmart that we went ahead and put in below the new bumper.
Here's the new bumper
Here are the mirrors--put some Duplicolor spray-on bedliner on them to get them to match.
Painted the bumper end-caps black-soon to do the rest of the grey trim that way too.
Been about 2 months since I've even been on the site. Not much has happened since I got the lights & bumper put on; I've mostly been busy with work & life.
I have had several more heating issues over the past couple months, but about a week ago they seemed to go away. I think I've finally manage to purge the coolant system & it's "broken in." The electric fan is even coming on by itself now! I still have the switch to turn it on, just in case.
Finally got my ignition switch changed, and it was about time. It was burnt to a crisp; surprised it worked at all.
I had been having some starting issues, which I had blamed on the ignition switch. When I would turn the key to start, there was nothing, not even the noise from the starter. After about 2-3 hours, it would simply fire right up without a problem. After several different tests and this happening about two times a week, we determined it wasn't the starter, but the ignition switch. After the switch was replaced, I experience no problems for about two weeks, when it suddenly didn't fire up again. Then, it hit us: the starter relay. $35 and three hours later it was replaced, and no trouble since, and it's been a month!
Went out in woods yesterday and had a blast! Not much of a trail, but for the area and the amount of time we had (about 3.5 hours) it was fun. Did quite a bit of flexing (for stock height) and my front right brake line gave out on me. With nothing to help, we just went on for another 2 hours. Even with my brakes rapidly fading we still had some fun. Pulled over out there and shot about 150 rounds through our hand guns at some targets, and then went home.
When we got home we took a closer look at the brake line, and I'm surprised it didn't give out on me a long time ago.
At any rate, I had a blast, and can't wait to go back out there! And hopefully in a few months when I've got most of my problems taken care of, I can go to a trail that's a little more "challenging." Hopefully we'll be back out there next weekend, and maybe we'll get some pictures!
Been awhile. Still busy with school and work... Well, a couple days ago, I brought home a re-manufactured engine.... Ironically, as I pulled her into the driveway, the engine (the one still in the Jeep) started grinding, squealing, and screeching.... And spewing oil....
So, I'll be swapping in the new engine tomorrow morning as soon as I get home from work. I've already gone through the forums here reading up on the process... Shouldn't be too dificult, just had go buy a engine stand and the female end torx socket E12 and borrow a cherry picker, and buy another $300 worth of stuff to go along with it from NAPA (and got a 25% discount!!! thank you college auto-tech discount!). Total of $1900 (-$200 when I return the core) and I'm on my way with the new engine!
If anyone has any tips on the swapping the engine, I'd be grateful!