87 xj TPI 350 rebuild... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 87 xj TPI 350 rebuild...

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Danbuc
1987 XJ Cherokee 

87 xj TPI 350 rebuild...

Welp, didn't see an intro thread so I figured this was as good as any lol.

Got this beast about two years back after I totaled my GTO. Needed a car, it was cheap, and I like to tinker lol. After two years of basically just patching leaks and dealer with how crappy it drove I finally broke down and decided to put some money into it. Trans puked all the fluid out the front seal and the #4 cylinder has a cracked valve seat and every valve guide and seal is bad.

Here's a few pics of where my buddy and I got to over the this past week.

Previous owner had this thing built with a 700R4 and 86 vette iron head TPI 350. Will be getting the trans rebuilt and new heads with a full reseal on the block and transfer case as well. New ball joints, radiator, revised coolant lines, etc.

Has what appears to be a 2" or so lift with an old set of skyjackers. That will eventually be sorted as well since it rides like crap.

Needs electrical work as well, but that's a whole separate issue lol. I'll post up pics as I go, and I'm sure I'll have a few questions as well.

Danbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Should be fun, what axles you rocking?
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Danbuc
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Stock Dana's I think. It's got the crappy NP207 from the S10 blazer this motor and trans were originally swapped into as well. Not planning on doing much wheelin with it the way it is now as this motor would surely rip that puny transfer case a new one long before it destroyed the stock axles lol.

This is my first jeep and I don't know a whole lot about them at all, hence why I joined up here. Seemed like a good place to school myself on what the deal is with them. Definitely gonna have plenty of questions for sure.

Right now I'm just trying to get this thing running again. I'd love to go all out on it, but my bikes suck up most of my free FU money what little there is these days. I'll just have to see how it pans out
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Danbuc
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Welp, looks like this motor will likely be going into a cheapo Chevy 1500 I might try to snag this weekend.

After finding problem after problem and have more **** break I've decided it's better to just junk it and be done.

Replacing ball joints and axles shafts turned into needing a front axle. Doing rear brakes turning into needing a new brake line and e brake cable.

All the grille pieces and lamp socket in the front are junk. Floor pans are rotting out. Wiring's a mess. Wiper motor and linkage are toast.

Rear leaf spring are done, and all four skyjacker shocks on it are fubar.

At this point it's simply not worth the money. Likely tossing up a whole rear brake kit (2.5" shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware), front upper/lower ball joints, and new radiator in the for sale section....unless I don't have enough post count that is....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.