86 MJ build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 86 MJ build

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
92XJCowboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

86 MJ build

I picked this MJ up for $400 today. I will be working on it before I ship for basic training Feb 17 trying to get it a reliable DD with a 4.0l. I want to swap the 4.0 and AW4 out of my XJ into this and stroke and break in the engine while its in the MJ. I will be going in tomorrow to see if I can get the transmission leak fixed so I can drive it before the swap is started.

The rusted floors are only because the original owner had rubber floor mats that trapped the water underneath. The Uni-rails and rockers are in pristine condition.

This build promises to have lots of pics I will have a friend (Member on here) who will be working on this while I am in training so hopefully he can keep some pics coming while I am gone.

Future plans include: (in no real order)
4.0/AW4/NP242
Dash/interior
Bucket seat
Floor repair
Custom bumpers
Rock sliders
Skid plates
Desert tan paint job (possibility)
4.5" front lift
SOA (5-6") rear
33" Goodyear MTR's (the good ones not the kevlars)
Wagon wheels
SYE
New custom driveshafts (stock are really funky either super big or super small)
97+ front clip, fenders, doors (possible, color dependent)
Ford 9" rear axle
Beef up the D30

Cab corner

Drain plug at cab corner

Are you able to tell from the picture if its a metric ton? I dont think it is because I have a D35.

D35 with Torx bolts?

You can see the sorry excuse for a drive shaft in this picture.

Did the factory ever apply bedliner to the rockers?

Do you want 6,000 acres of land open to OHV's?
Sign the petition for Northumberland OHV Park
92XJCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
tock172
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like fun man. Looks like a lot of hard work but I look forward to the photos.

1986 BMW 535i -Sold, 12/10

2004 330i Sport
tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
RedZeppelinXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

have fun with that floor pan.....but good luck dude it looks like a sweet project
'91 XJ Briarwood - The Spruce Moose (Parting Out)
'79 J10 - Spartacus (Parting Out)
RedZeppelinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
92XJCowboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys.

I got the Jeep running today. I went underneath to replace the trans gasket and all the bolts were finger tight . I tightened them up and it still leaks from one corner but I can deal with it for a while. I filled the tank today and it runs pretty good all things considered.

tomorrow I am going to run down to the JY to grab a hood and start patching the floors.

Do you want 6,000 acres of land open to OHV's?
Sign the petition for Northumberland OHV Park
92XJCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.