Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

'85 w/GM 2.8L v6 for cheap. Buy or run?

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Rehtnug 
#1 ·
Body is in great condition.
Is the GM 2.8L engine something to avoid altogether?
Is there a good drop in replacement motor?

Thanks!

#2 ·
How cheap, how many miles? I don't remember which but there are a couple bad years for the 2.8, but over-all its not the worst thing. Not as good as the 4.0 buy a long shot, but if good maintenance have gone 200+. there is a bunch of aftermarket stuff out there for them, so I the price is right why not?
My dad had a S-10 that got 150k, it was 79-80 can't remember. I had a 84 Citation X-11 that I used for SCCA racing, road and rally, It had 175k before I Blew it up. It would have gone farther but missing a shift at 130 mph can be rough on the valve train.

#3 ·
Personally I wouldn't touch it. Not that I think that the 2.8 is the worst ever, that's not the case. But one of the many things us XJ owners take pride in is the power and reliability of the 4.0L.

If you want to by this XJ you'll need to transplant another GM engine such as the 3.4L. The 4.0L won't naturally fit with the older XJ's firewall (they redesigned it to fit the 4.0), so unless you modify the firewall, the 4.0L is out of question.

Which like I said, for me personally, is a deal breaker. Unless you have a love for doing GM transplants, I'd pass.

#5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies.

I think I'll probably pass on it. By the time I buy and then possibly end up doing the 3.4 swap, I'd have been better off going with a 4.0 to begin with. That way, when engine change time comes, the 4.0 is an option.

Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
I had an S15 with the 2.8 and it wasn't a bad little motor. Aside from a leaking valve cover gasket that was easy to fix it never gave me much trouble. The down side is that it is horribly underpowered IMO. I'd not bother, much better to find something with the 4.0.

4.0 has more power, is more reliable IMO, and gets about the same MPG (at least my 4x4 S15 Jimmy compared to my 2wd 4.0 XJ)

#11 ·
I am a GM 60 degree V-6 nut. I had a buddy in college with an S-10 blazer that ran for over 300,000 miles and needed only standard wearout items like clutches and belts. He finally junked it when the body was way too rusted to salvage and the motor was still running.
I had a 3100 in a Grand Prix that I loved. It would run like a scalded dog all the way up til electrical ghosts made me sell it.

The 3.8 (ie 3800 or l67 Supercharged 3800 Series II) and the 4.3 are actually 90 deg v-6s and share nothing with the 2.8/3.1/3.4 engines.

And not all 3800 are FWD only. The 3800 was also put in the v-6 f-body cars

I will concede however that the 2.8 TBI is quite undertorqued compared to the 4.0 or even a 4.2.

#12 ·
Were the gm engines used in the Cherokee a transverse or longitude style block? Does any one Know? I have a gm 2.8 in my wrangler that I purchased that the PO put in there. Just wanting to learn more about it.

I know everyone says what and asks why. Hey I didn't do it. Got it from a buddy for cheap that did a trade for it.

Just trying to figure out what he might have pulled it from.

Thanks for the help Guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.