5.3 LS swap in an XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 5.3 LS swap in an XJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! April Instant Rebate: Up to $75 off Flowmaster Products!

Unread 02-17-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
gettinwet

5.3 LS swap in an XJ

2000 XJ, 145k the evil cracked head....thought i had a donor motor but it fell through..thinking about dropping in a 5.3...its going to be a daily driver...has a 3.5 lift, not going any higher..any kits available for the swap? its an auto with the 231....chrysler 8.25 real and HP up front...all stock...

gettinwet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2015, 10:38 PM   #2
WoodyXJ
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Not really any kits available. Either advanced adaptors or novac has 350 motor mounts, might be the same for the 5.3? Then decide what tranny you want and transfer case, adaptors available for them too.

Right now I'm in the middle a 5.7l swap. I bought a slightly wrecked 99 yukon for the swap, I'm going to try to fit the yukon engine/tranny/transfer in my xj.
Novac's site has great info on chevy v8 swaps, I would start there.
Aaand your hood might not clear the intake of the vortec stuff, so be aware
WoodyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2015, 05:53 AM   #3
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

With all the dead 4.0 posts online i'm shocked there are no swap kits for 5.0s, LS or toyota motors
I'm convinced the 4.0 is a 50/50 shot at getting a good one
FairlanePhil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2015, 06:10 AM   #4
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairlanePhil View Post
With all the dead 4.0 posts online i'm shocked there are no swap kits for 5.0s, LS or toyota motors
I'm convinced the 4.0 is a 50/50 shot at getting a good one
99% of the time they are abused beyond belife, my roommate use to push 15k before he would change the oil and at that he never put in 6quarts only ever put in 5 heck its cheaper, finally the radiator went and he couldn't drive more then a few miles before she would overheat, so what did he do? He'd drive a couple miles to a gas station let her cool off go another couple miles repeat........ And the ****er just wouldn't die she just kept running and running.
My other roommate used a zj 4.0 to tow 5k loaded trailer with a full cargo area and 4 passengers off road to cell towers, that ****er lasted a few years before the tranny started to go, but the 4.0 kept going.
Seems like the pistion skirt issue is becoming more pronounced but they often don't happen at very low miles, mine blew around 160k which really isent to bad considering it still ran and drove 100miles like that and continued to run up until the day the junkyard motor went in.
I really don't think its a 50/50chance on these motors, you will find alot more threads about how many miles the 4.0 often makes it to with regular maintance then catastrophic failures.
Unread 02-20-2015, 08:45 AM   #5
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecatkiller View Post
99% of the time they are abused beyond belife, my roommate use to push 15k before he would change the oil and at that he never put in 6quarts only ever put in 5 heck its cheaper, finally the radiator went and he couldn't drive more then a few miles before she would overheat, so what did he do? He'd drive a couple miles to a gas station let her cool off go another couple miles repeat........ And the ****er just wouldn't die she just kept running and running.
My other roommate used a zj 4.0 to tow 5k loaded trailer with a full cargo area and 4 passengers off road to cell towers, that ****er lasted a few years before the tranny started to go, but the 4.0 kept going.
Seems like the pistion skirt issue is becoming more pronounced but they often don't happen at very low miles, mine blew around 160k which really isent to bad considering it still ran and drove 100miles like that and continued to run up until the day the junkyard motor went in.
I really don't think its a 50/50chance on these motors, you will find alot more threads about how many miles the 4.0 often makes it to with regular maintance then catastrophic failures.
I disagree. When you join a tech forum with thousands of members and the
overwhelming issues are cracked heads and blown motors there is an issue.
Just get on craigslist and set your search for $1000 Jeeps. They are all parked
due to blown motors. You think the Civics with 280K on them haven't been
beat on ever since fast and furious came out? They still run and run and run

Look on Honda tech (I'm no honda guy) the questions range from "what air
freshener is best" and "are these wheels too hellaflush" not, why is my 115k
mile engine rattling and spewing coolant everywhere?

Look on Crown Vic.net. Intakes crack, trannys go. It's common, just like 0331
heads blowing at 120K. Like driveline vibes due to 7 U joints in the vehicle
and that ****ty latch on the console it's a design issue. I live 10 minutes from Jeep, half my family worked there
but it doesn't change the fact that 4.0's suck.

Of course YMMV
Unread 02-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #6
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

and that ****ty latch on the console it's a design issue. I live 10 minutes from Jeep, half my family worked there

Of course YMMV
I completely disagree I search craigslist daily, for all of NY, yes I'm very bored at work. There is maybe 1 blown 4.0 for every 20 good 4.0s, I'm not saying 0331 wasn't a problem but that's only 2 god damn years of the 4.0s life, let's not judge based on 2 years out of how many again?
Drive line issues due to 7 u joints? Wtf are you talking about maybe you need to change them u joints I mean considering most xjs have stock ujoints still..
People rarely get on the internet to create threads on how well there engines are doing... This is a technical forum where people come when.... Yup you got it! When they have PROBLEMS......
You so blatantly comment about 0331 heads and "blown motors" OK so what's blowing on these motors besides the very rare piston skirt issue and the slightly less rare 0331 head which USUALLY only happens when overheated aka LACK OF MAINTANCE.
So common I need some more info please inform me on how bad 4.0s are and why so many jeeps are still on the road, maybe explain why the Cherokee was rated as one of top vehicals that just refuse to die?

Iv had my share of problems but I'll stick up for the 4.0 any day of the week because quite simply the 4.0s a vary reliable motor, its just a easy argument to win, why didnt they scrap the 4.0 earlier if it was so bad?

In fact **** it, you can believe what you want Im not going to argue something that's already proven itself over the years.

EDIT, if anyone finds $1000 and under jeeps (around ny/pa) with blown motors on craigslist do not hesitate to pm it to me, always looking for what I consider a ez fix considering how cheap the u pull it prices are and how many running 4.0s there are.
Unread 02-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #7
Motorcharge
Bandeded

1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:

Of course YMMV
Ffs did Bimmer create a new account over here? This might be one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #8
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Ffs did Bimmer create a new account over here? This might be one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen on here.

Check my old posts. I probably have a lot worse someplace on here.

I just don't buy into the hype the 4.0 has garnered. Personal and anecdotal evidence has shown me otherwise.
Either way, I wish there were some legitimate swap tech options out there for drivelines I do know or trust better.

I dare you to disagree on the console latches
Unread 02-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #9
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Holy cow,

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/5...p-ish-2791034/
Unread 02-20-2015, 09:19 PM   #10
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Check my old posts. I probably have a lot worse someplace on here.

I just don't buy into the hype the 4.0 has garnered. Personal and anecdotal evidence has shown me otherwise.
Either way, I wish there were some legitimate swap tech options out there for drivelines I do know or trust better.

I dare you to disagree on the console latches
Everyone's entitled to their opinion I suppose, but Ive personally owned 10 4.0 Jeeps, from Renix to a 0331 head '01 and have never had anything but great luck from them all. From a reliability standpoint. Not exactly sure what has you so bitter to the platform. Ive been involved in many other automotive genre's and shy of the Ford 300 I-6 there's not another gasser Id trust more than a 4.0.

Sounds like you had a bad experience or two and decided they must all be junk, or youre just the picky type that calls the previous owner after a purchase to inform him the tires were 4 psi to low and then wonder what he's gonna do about it.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2015, 10:30 PM   #11
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Everyone's entitled to their opinion I suppose, but Ive personally owned 10 4.0 Jeeps, from Renix to a 0331 head '01 and have never had anything but great luck from them all. From a reliability standpoint. Not exactly sure what has you so bitter to the platform. Ive been involved in many other automotive genre's and shy of the Ford 300 I-6 there's not another gasser Id trust more than a 4.0.

Sounds like you had a bad experience or two and decided they must all be junk, or youre just the picky type that calls the previous owner after a purchase to inform him the tires were 4 psi to low and then wonder what he's gonna do about it.

Not even close man, all my **** is built, not bought. I'm the guy who replaces everything when I buy one and even uses the search feature on here. I trust a Ford 460, 302 and the 4.6 as they are hammer reliable and very rarely smoke a head. I'm not particularly bitter I just think that the fanboys ignore the hundreds, maybe thousands, of overheated XJ Jeep posts. The cooling system is weak and they don't survive an overheat/internal coolant flush very well. Like you say my opinion

If I hated them I'd have never bought another. I love these things in the snow they are the best 4x4 you can possibly own for being surefooted plus they are a blast to work on and modify.

You may be right though, I owned an 00 and an 01. It's possible that sifting through hundreds of 0331 head posts and shopping for dead Craigslist ZJs and XJs has gotten to me.
Unread 02-20-2015, 11:29 PM   #12
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Not even close man, all my **** is built, not bought. I'm the guy who replaces everything when I buy one and even uses the search feature on here. I trust a Ford 460, 302 and the 4.6 as they are hammer reliable and very rarely smoke a head. I'm not particularly bitter I just think that the fanboys ignore the hundreds, maybe thousands, of overheated XJ Jeep posts. The cooling system is weak and they don't survive an overheat/internal coolant flush very well. Like you say my opinion

If I hated them I'd have never bought another. I love these things in the snow they are the best 4x4 you can possibly own for being surefooted plus they are a blast to work on and modify.

You may be right though, I owned an 00 and an 01. It's possible that sifting through hundreds of 0331 head posts and shopping for dead Craigslist ZJs and XJs has gotten to me.
I can understand. Actually believe I remember seeing pics of a build or two of yours quite some time ago.

Good time for any example of bad luck though. Funny you mention the Ford 4.6 as I am a Ford man (grew up into it and own a 64 F100) , but have had two 4.6's fail with less than 140k miles. Both were in 99-04 Mustangs though, so Im sure they were abused a bit, and despite knowing many people with great luck out of them, im terrified to trust 2V's now, just the same as you are with 4.0's Id say.

All that aside I am a fan of this 5.3 swap idea.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2015, 05:58 PM   #13
jeepster383

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinwet
2000 XJ, 145k the evil cracked head....thought i had a donor motor but it fell through..thinking about dropping in a 5.3...its going to be a daily driver...has a 3.5 lift, not going any higher..any kits available for the swap? its an auto with the 231....chrysler 8.25 real and HP up front...all stock...
I wana do a 5.3 also with some added power tierd of the turd 4.0. My biggest concern is how I'm going to keep it cool. I know they make that radiator with 3 electric fans. But I'm not convinced. Somehow would like to fit a bigger radiator.
jeepster383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2015, 08:50 PM   #14
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'd be more prone to trying a 5.0. Huge aftermarket and it's been done so I know it would fit. Maybe an explorer engine and trans?
Unread 02-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #15
jeepster383

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairlanePhil
I'd be more prone to trying a 5.0. Huge aftermarket and it's been done so I know it would fit. Maybe an explorer engine and trans?
a 5.3 will fit with the right intake,pulleys, exahust and other junk. I'm worried about the cooling.
jeepster383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.