4.5" Lift Bilstein shock length - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 4.5" Lift Bilstein shock length

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 06-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
k4ylr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

4.5" Lift Bilstein shock length

Got a quick question for you suspension gurus. I'm looking at putting the RE 4.5" SuperFlex kit onto my XJ and I'll be building them around Bilstein 5100s.

The only sizes I've seen are for 4" and 5" of lift. So my question is it better to get the 1//2" shorter to serve as a pseudo limiting strap or go a 1/2" longer to have some breathing room in terms of travel?

I don't do huge rock crawling or trails that call for ridiculous amounts of flex.

'ppreciate it!

k4ylr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Depends on compressed and extended lengths I guess. Using them as limitation of down travel seems to be less damaging than the stop for uptravel.
Unread 06-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Go for the longer shock and use correct bumpstops to limit uptravel - you may not think you need the flex now, but you will like the droop for travel whether you do rocks or run across the desert.

If you're putting a set of 33-35" tires to suit the lift, you'll run out of fender clearance before you bottom out the shocks unless you trim super aggressively.
Unread 06-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Get your suspension on the Cherokee and put it at full bump (make sure there are no clearance issues). Then measure compressed lengths, flex and measure the extended lengths, order shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 04:18 AM   #5
k4ylr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm shooting for 32's or 33's (regearing kind of makes my shy away from 33s) since the GT Kevlars are similarly priced in that ballpark. Eventually I'll move up to flat flares so I'm leaning towards 33's to fill out the wheel wells. Thanks for the tips guys.
k4ylr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Whoops, wrong thread.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.