Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Well... would you buy it if you were looking for the same?

303,000 Miles...

3K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  Globalksp 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I parted with my XJ almost a year ago after inheriting an '08 Nissan Rogue (w/ 32,000 miles on it!) from a family member. 13,000 miles later, I'm tired of it and missing my XJ, so I'm back in the market.

I got used to the modern-day niceness of power amenities and since I almost never find myself offroading in anything worse (better?) than a dirt road or snow covered street, I'm aiming for a '98-01 XJ Limited in the best condition I can find. It would see a lot of city (NYC) driving but even more highway driving (road trips).

Now, I know XJ's are all getting old and will be up there in mileage and that their drivetrains can handle it. I found (and lost out) on a pristine '00 XJ with 90,000 miles from a 2nd owner going for $5400. That sale is my baseline for success.

But today, I stumbled across an '00 Limited in beautiful condition. Absolutely spotless in appearance. Then comes the news that there's 303K on the ticker. The dealer (yea, red flag) thinks that the gauge cluster had been replaced. They dug up emissions records and CarFax reports that put the last known mileage at 230K in 2011 so 303K seems like it could be accurate.

Now, I don't think I'd go for it, but, if I did...

I'm curious what the naysayers would say so, say away...

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
Yea it's an interesting proposition.

Being my daily driver, it'll see (historically speaking) about 13,000 - 20,000 miles per year. When you consider part replacement costs (tranny, cooling system, air/heat systems, rear main seal, suspension/U-joints/steering, brakes, gas tank, etc...) the purchase price starts to take on new meaning. It's easier to live with a ripped driver's seat than it is to live with a ripped radiator.

#13 ·
I just spoke with the dealership that is selling it and found out the following:

First, what they told me on the phone differs from what is in the eBay ad. Here's the ad:
Mileage:
Gauge cluster reads 303k. Knowing Cherokees, they often need the gauge cluster replaced
(I've never heard this, have y'all?). CarFax report shows mileage of 16,744 in 2003 after 3 years. Next known mileage is 230,295 in 2011. We also have emissions slips showing a big gap in mileage. We do not have any paperwork showing a replaced gauge cluster, so we are selling it on the assumption of the 303K. The truck is flawless, and runs great. All original, and does not show the usual wear & tear of a truck with even over 100K on it. Also runs like new. We do not believe the gauge cluster to be accurate.

What I was told on the phone was that it was a one owner vehicle that was traded in to a VW dealership and was bought at auction from said dealership. Over the phone they told me that they are selling it on the assumption that the XJ has 84,XXX miles on it. They arrived at this mathematically (17,000 / 3 years = 5666 miles a year x 15 years = 84,990 miles).

So the $8,000 leap of faith is for us to believe that the gauge cluster was replaced and during that replacement the mileage jumped by a few hundred thousand.

She offered to swap in another gauge cluster that showed 100,000 miles (for what purpose, I'm not sure and it was a detail in the conversation that slipped by me).

She reiterated that they sell a lot of Jeeps per year, over 200 last year I am told, and that this is by far the nicest XJ they've ever had on the lot. Which prompted me to do a bit more homework...

http://plus.google.com/104375627495503118619/about?hl=en&gl=us

Enough said.

It may be a fantastic XJ find or it's just lipstick on a pig. I won't be finding out either way.

The search continues...

#14 ·
Sounds like a Grade A Premium Select example of the worst kind of dealership. Glad to hear you walked away. Even if that XJ is great in so many ways, it sounds like something shady was going on with it and that they pull that crap all the time, so I'm glad you didn't buy into their nonsense.

Sent from my phone.

#17 ·
In almost every state. If it's legal it's likely that you need to have a certified shop swap it out and put in a door sticker with the actual mileage at the time of shop and you likely are legally required to notify the next owner about it.

I'd be willing to be they could lose their dealer license over offering something like that.

Regardless, $9000 is bat**** insane.

#18 ·
You know, I hadn't even thought of that, but, yes... it is indeed illegal.

In other news... I did go see a 2000 XJ Limited today that's somewhat attractively priced. I don't have any friends/family to bounce thoughts off of or seek advice from here in the "real" world so would appreciate any opinions or insights you might have, skeptics welcomed: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/second-opinions-needed-3184361/

-K

#25 ·
I happened to be in CT this weekend and rather close to the Cherokee in question in this post so I swung by to take a look.

The dealer was your typical used car salesman who spoke most of his accomplishments of selling Jeeps and his love for this one. That being said... the Jeep was indeed clean as a whistle. There wasn't a spot of rust on the whole thing and aside from what looked like a leaky oil pan gasket, nothing caught my eye or looked out of place. Whatever happened to the odometer wasn't documented and that will come back to haunt whoever buys it and tries to again sell it. So who knows... someone with $7K may get a slick Jeep with a questionable history, but it won't be me (he rejected my $5K offer, as I knew he would).

#26 ·
Wow. If that dealer wasn't on the other side of the state I'd pay them a visit and ask if they could change my cluster out with one that has lower mileage. What a bunch of morons.

#27 ·
Sorry, but I couldn't help but chuckle at that thought that "the other side of Connecticut" would ever be a distance of any concern. No, I get that its too far just for a gag, but the general thought of "but that's all the way on the other side of CT!" Hehe.

(No insult to CT or the residents of CT was intended. This was merely a jest. Views and opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily shared by Autoguide or Jeepforum. Price and participation may vary. Participation void where prohibited.)

#28 ·
mschi772 said:
Sorry, but I couldn't help but chuckle at that thought that "the other side of Connecticut" would ever be a distance of any concern. No, I get that its too far just for a gag, but the general thought of "but that's all the way on the other side of CT!" Hehe. (No insult to CT or the residents of CT was intended. This was merely a jest. Views and opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily shared by Autoguide or Jeepforum. Price and participation may vary. Participation void where prohibited.)
I don't have time to drive an hour and a half for a gag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.